Sony EX800ST impressions
May 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

HiFlight

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently acquired a set of Sony EX800ST IEM's from a Head-Fi member who had originally purchased them from a Japan dealer, as these phones are not distributed in the US.

The EX800ST is marketed by Sony as a studio monitor.   That is a term that I have found to be much overused in the headphone market, but the few reviews I was able to find 
were all very positive.  

Most of my pre-purchase information was provided to me by the original owner, as he had the opportunity to compare them with quite a number of different IEM's, including the 
highly regarded JVC FX700.   He stated to me that he found the very neutral and uncolored SQ of the Sony to be much to his liking and was selling them only because they did not 
have the isolation necessary for use on commuter trains.  

As far as packaging goes, it is about as unremarkable as can be imagined, with the phones and accessories contained in a plain white box.   There are 3 sets of tips: S-M-L, none of which fit me very well.  There is also
a manual consisting of several sheets of Japanese characters.   There is a small zipper container that is of a very nice size to carry the phones and some tips safely and securely.  

Similar to the EX1000, the EX800ST has removable cables designed for over-ear use.  The cables, while fairly thin, have very adequate strain-relief at all points of stress.  

The jack is  "L" shaped and should fit most any DAP, amp or phone.   

Upon first listen, I felt that the phones tended toward brightness and lacked bass impact although the depth of bass and tightness seemed to be quite good.   Based on my experience with
other IEM's, I felt that the sound was typical of that resulting from lack of proper seal.    I have quite a stash of tips from various phones that have come and gone over the years, so I set about to find 
something that would both fit the Sony nozzle and my ears.   Normally, I need to use tips of different sizes to achieve a proper seal in both ears.   

I found some very soft silicon tips that had been bundled with some unremarkable long-gone V-Sonic phones.   These fit the nozzles perfectly and also had a larger opening on the outlet than  the included Sony tips.  

With these tips in place, the resulting sound was totally different.  Not a trifling amount but a night and day difference.  The bass now had impact, accuracy and speed while the 
highs no longer tended toward sibilancy.   I can readily agree that they would likely serve well as studio monitors, as I find the sound to be extremely well-balanced and tonally accurate.   

I conducted several sine-wave sweeps from 20-20k HZ and heard no obvious peaks anywhere in the sweep, confirming to me that these are truly neutral and well balanced across the audio spectrum.  

While audibly they sound very well balanced, I would assume that if the frequency response were plotted, it would not appear flat, as the response of the human ear is not flat but rather has peaks and valleys.  

The phones are as comfortable as any of this type I have worn, as the tips I am using are very soft and do not insert deeply into the ear canal.    The soundstage is far more expansive than one usually experiences with IEM phones, 
and often does give the impression of extending beyond the confines of my head.   

Overall, I am very pleased with the performance of the 800ST and consider it to have a more neutral and accurate SQ than the EX700 that I own.   I do find the sound to be somewhat similar to that of my
Sony F1 which I consider to be a very accurate headphone.  

I have experienced no listener fatigue at all with the 800ST even after many hours of continuous usage.    If I had to nitpick, I would suggest that a greater variety of tips be included.  
If one needs a very high degree of isolation, perhaps these would not be the IEM of choice.   The cable can be a bit microphonic but the over-ear style along with the cable slider allows one to really minimize this annoyance.  

Whether or not Sony will decide to introduce these phones to the US market remains to be seen, but in terms of overall accuracy, tonality, imaging and soundstage as well as user comfort, I would rank the EX800ST right up there  
among the better universal IEM's that I have owned.  

May 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 111
Nice! Finally an EX800ST impression that's not in Japanese... I've been interested in it from day one, seems like an IEM I'd definitely like.

The EX1000 has definitely lured me away in recent weeks with its awesome coloration though.

May 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 111
Pictures 
blink.gif

May 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 111
Thats why I didn't post a pix, but to satisfy the curiosity of those who don't like to search, I will insert a couple of pix from prior reviews!

May 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 111
Nice impressions!

BTW, they are available in the US but are not called the EX800ST. They are called the MDR-7550.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/400249.html

May 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 111
Hiflight can you compare them with ex1000 and ex600? might be getting the former if this isnt better

I have neither the ex600 or the ex1000, but if you do a search on head fi, there is a review that compares all 3 in some detail. I have only the ex700 and z1000 and find the 800st to be a significant improvement over the 700 and more comfortable than the z1000.
Overall, the 800st is, IMO, one of Sony's best IEM's that I have heard.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 111
Have you heard the Kanas Pro though? It's an incredible dynamic 10mm iem. Its good enough that I need someone that owns both to give a review vs.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 111
Have you heard the Kanas Pro though? It's an incredible dynamic 10mm iem. Its good enough that I need someone that owns both to give a review vs.
I have both, and they are very different.
KPE liquid and smooth with boosted sub bass, IMO a little weak mid bass, emphasis on (upper) mids and decent treble.
Best part of the KPE IMO is the smooth, detailed, clear and floating mids. They really impressed me and got me hooked to finding even better IEM sound.
But I feel the KPE is a bit picky about the music, some sounds great, other doesn’t match it’s character that well.

EX800 are weird in shape, light, very comfortable, have the best soundstage and worst isolation.
They are warm, have a powerful bassline with much more texture, especially mid bass. Sub bass is actually comparatively low in qty compared to KPE but otherwise bass is much more present and impactful.
Compared to KPE the mids take a little bit a back seat, but are more natural, albeit slightly veiled by the warm character.
And treble has more bite and sparkle, forming a good counterweight to the strong bass but it’s not the smooth and liquid kind, like the bass its clear and textured and that can become slightly fatiguing at times, mainly at high volume and with bad recordings. Overall it is very good, with a detailed and coherent sound, strong, impactful bass and sparkly highs.

So those 2 are very different. Consider that Crinacle rates the EX800 as A or A+, and that it’s by far the cheapest IEM in that class. That should tell you something.
Should you get it if you can? Yes
Should you sell the KPE to get them? Maybe no

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 111
Hey all. Just picked these up after struggling to find a good iem to compliment my 1770 and R6. These are the first set that have good bass for my-- bass head bass that is still clear and isn't muddy. Great soundstage, too. Maybe it's the weird style, but these actually fit my ears better than all the Chi Find type iems. I really like them. Of course, it makes me wonder about the EX1000, but I couldn't find a pair as it's discontinued.

Best so far, but I do think maybe the KPE had a bit better clarity, but I prefer these overall based on fit and bass impact. I'm going to try the tape mod now and hook them up to the ES100 I ordered.

One drawback: hate the cable. Upgrades? Maybe a balanced one? These have that locking mechanism, so I assume they have to be Sont cables only.

Thanks

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back