Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Mar 15, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #4,607 of 4,748
Very good but a tad bright.

... which reminds me of a little mod I posted in an other forum, for those who are bothered by the EX1000's treble. It's easy and reversible, so I'd say no harm in giving it a shot. Just leave the stock filter as is and place a narrow strip of dried alcohol swab across the nozzle before you put the tips on:

Calms down the treble just a bit, but without changing the overall signature of the EX1000. Make sure that the strip covers only about 30-40% of the nozzle, because to my ears a wider strip doesn't necessarily yield the best results.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #4,609 of 4,748
after over 3 weeks of listening to Ex1k + Wm1z on the latest firmware from Mr. Walkman, I can definitely say that the sound quality is phenomenal .
Here are my settings Ex1000 without filters + Spiral dot tips L + Wm1z - SE (3.5 mm jack) + Dmp-Wm1 FE (Plus) + region U + Dsee Al On + Dynamic normalizer On + Bass + 2, Middle 0, High -1 + the rest factory settings
I’m on the 1A, but these days I would question just how much difference there is between the two models now we have unified firmware, anyway - I quite like your tone control, but please please turn off dynamic normaliser, all that does is crush dynamics into a smaller range, killing what you’re gaining.

edit: if you can get one, I’d suggest trying a balanced cable, my one broke - but I got the last reasonably priced one on Amazon - it does make a marked difference with the perceived power handling and dynamics

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #4,610 of 4,748
I’m on the 1A, but these days I would question just how much difference there is between the two models now we have unified firmware, anyway - I quite like your tone control, but please please turn off dynamic normaliser, all that does is crush dynamics into a smaller range, killing what you’re gaining.

edit: if you can get one, I’d suggest trying a balanced cable, my one broke - but I got the last reasonably priced one on Amazon - it does make a marked difference with the perceived power handling and dynamics
I spent a lot of time trying different settings in fact, it took me weeks... I have 2 balanced cables for Ex1000 4.4mm but surprisingly i prefer Ex1000 from SE output -3.5mm vs 4.4mm maybe it's strange but I prefer Ex1000 vs FirAudio M5 and Tia Trio mainly with electronics, ambient Koan, Astronaut ape

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #4,611 of 4,748
the only way I can enjoy the sound from the EX1000 is to really push it into my ear canal, so can’t handle it for long as gets uncomfortable, anyhow, I don’t disagree with you, they make my daily driver (FiiO FH7) sound thick, syrupy and slow, and sound cleaner to me than my JH Layla (quite possibly the only universal that fits even worse than the EX1000!)

I prefer the extra kick that the balanced output offers, although I’m on a currently unreleased version of the midnight (plus) firmware, that really matches rather well with these.

Mar 21, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #4,612 of 4,748
What are good ear-tips that can be used with them these days? I'm still using Complys... but am tired of constantly blowing money to replace them due to my oily/waxy ears...

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #4,613 of 4,748
What are good ear-tips that can be used with them these days? I'm still using Complys... but am tired of constantly blowing money to replace them due to my oily/waxy ears...
when it comes to tips, the best for me are without a doubt Spiral Dot L actually their sleeve is too big for Ex1000 so an intermediate is needed for this, it needs a smaller sleeve ....
another important element is the remove filters from Ex1000 after such modification the music is much more complete, you can compare it to Tia Forte Trio iem with a much better tonal balance with amazing resolusion , separation and coherence this modification brings the Ex1000 closer to the current flagships :)

Attachments

• 20210321_094751.jpg
    20210321_094751.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210321_094823.jpg
    20210321_094823.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210321_094904.jpg
    20210321_094904.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210321_094854.jpg
    20210321_094854.jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #4,614 of 4,748
My top 3 tips:
Final Audio Type E
Elecom EHP-CAP20
Radius Deep mount

You can check my database for more info as have a tip ranking list. (along with other lists)

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #4,615 of 4,748
Just wondering, how come the dunu iems aren't considered the successors to the sony dds? They seem to be the only company so openly advertising their dd development, and that made me wonder

Also, I haven't listened to it yet but my ex800st from e-earphone just arrived and I'm so exciteddd

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #4,616 of 4,748
Just wondering, how come the dunu iems aren't considered the successors to the sony dds? They seem to be the only company so openly advertising their dd development, and that made me wonder

Also, I haven't listened to it yet but my ex800st from e-earphone just arrived and I'm so exciteddd
They (specifically the Zen) sounds very different from the EX1000. I wouldnt call them their successor.

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #4,617 of 4,748

I had the DUNU Luna in house for testing for a few weeks and compared it to the EX1k.
Technically the Luna is a pretty big step up, with better clarity, separation and detail. But the most impressive thing about the Lunas is the dynamics. They really inject energy into the music and resolve micro and macro dynamics incredibly well.
Unfortunately the tuning of the Lunas is quite uneven, with boosted mid bass to upper mids, almost too forward upper mids and recessed sub bass and upper treble. Also the soundstage of the EX1k is much wider.

I had hoped that the Zen would combine a good part of the Luna’s dynamics with a better tuning, but from all I have read it does not do that.
I also heard the JVC FW10000 and again it had very good technicalities for a DD but a less than perfect tuning.

I have been looking, but it seems as if there are no DD IEMs that can compete with the TOTL Hybrid and BA models, except maybe the IER-Z1R which is amazing, if you can afford it and have the ears to fit it!

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #4,618 of 4,748
I had the DUNU Luna in house for testing for a few weeks and compared it to the EX1k.
Technically the Luna is a pretty big step up, with better clarity, separation and detail. But the most impressive thing about the Lunas is the dynamics. They really inject energy into the music and resolve micro and macro dynamics incredibly well.
Unfortunately the tuning of the Lunas is quite uneven, with boosted mid bass to upper mids, almost too forward upper mids and recessed sub bass and upper treble. Also the soundstage of the EX1k is much wider.

I had hoped that the Zen would combine a good part of the Luna’s dynamics with a better tuning, but from all I have read it does not do that.
I also heard the JVC FW10000 and again it had very good technicalities for a DD but a less than perfect tuning.

I have been looking, but it seems as if there are no DD IEMs that can compete with the TOTL Hybrid and BA models, except maybe the IER-Z1R which is amazing, if you can afford it and have the ears to fit it!
The Z1R is a hybrid though, not a single DD.

But maybe 3dd iems could be the successor.

graph (8).png

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #4,619 of 4,748

I would describe the Ex1000 presentations as effortless, ethereal , very coherent and a bit romantic and this is what I miss in practically all modern flagships

Users who are viewing this thread

Back