Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jun 10, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #4,471 of 4,748
I can’t remove the cable on mine, cannot work it out, starting to annoy me now lol - can someone offer me a clue please?

I should add, there is only a tiny bit of play on the locking nut, makes me wonder if it is seized or something

edit, sorted, just got a bit rough with them and the screw started to turn :)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,473 of 4,748
Interesting, I do wonder if the EK-EX1000 cable has been my main issue with the EX1000

Running balanced out of my WM1A Walkman (with a couple of enhancements from that thread) with a cheap SPC cable, it’s quite the difference, and - I can hear what people like about these, very tuneful, just wish I could have heard them like this back when I got them!

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #4,475 of 4,748
Interesting, I do wonder if the EK-EX1000 cable has been my main issue with the EX1000

Running balanced out of my WM1A Walkman (with a couple of enhancements from that thread) with a cheap SPC cable, it’s quite the difference, and - I can hear what people like about these, very tuneful, just wish I could have heard them like this back when I got them!

I had a similar experience when I first switched from the stock cable too. I’m now using the Sony Kimber MUC-M12SB1 which has added a little bit of warmth and reduced the sibilance.

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #4,476 of 4,748
Good day to you guys. So this is my first post here on Headfi. I often read the forum, but didn't think that I have something to share until now.

I like Sony EX1000 a lot, but I was frustrated with how to wear it on. Especially when I go out on the road. My journey brought me to visit Itsfit, Vietnam on itsfitlab.com. I spent some months with the engineers there and tried a lot of things with the EX1000.

I feel really thankful for their hospitality so I want to share some of my experiments with them. These are experiments with filterless EX1000, which I prefer. (The reason they put the filter there, I guess, is to emphasize on female voice from Japanese anime. But I like the filterless option. The filter is easy to put back on nevertheless). So my experiments with Itsfit including:

- Custom tip for EX1000. This one I didn't like because it doesn't solve the wearing problem.

- Custom EX1000 1 without changing anything: put the whole thing inside a shell, change from sony connector to 2 pin by connecting exk connector to 2 pin connector. After experimenting with this one, I bought some EX1000 to put on the real experiments afterward. Nonetheless, you can choose this option if you want a safe option.
6pgplA7.jpg

- Custom EX1000 2, cut out the nozzle and change it to a bending one, made of resin. The result is a shift in peaks at high frequency to the right. Almost nothing is changed in bass and mid. Remember the image below is the measurement on their rig (I do compare it with Crin's measurement data and they are not the same). I didn't keep the original measurement but it follows the same line for bass and mid. Almost identical except for the peaks. For my custom EX1000, the shift in peak reduces grains that you might get from EX1000 at some points. This happen to me especially when a female is finishing an opera song, at the most intense moment. And you know, they guided me and let me do the whole thing, from creating the shells, putting ex1000 inside, making the resin nozzle and polishing the faceplate. Best service ever!
Pu0MuaI.jpg

C32VXKu.jpg

- Custom EX1000 3, this time their head designer did it. He carefully re-vented the thing with resin, giving it a little more bass, especially sub-bass. The venting part of the original shell of EX1000 is remove-able and the core is not affected. He also did the beautiful Koi fish design for me. For me, he IS a legendary resheller and custome IEM designer. I was there when he made the breakthrough for this design. A very creative mind!
6bWWW7U.jpg

Fb5oKyn.jpg

All in all, I get an unforgettable experience at Itsfit Lab. Their engineer also made a special cable for me, made of copper, silver-plated copper and gold-plated copper, x16. Very special one, nice looking and sound excellent. I must admit that this is the first time I hear a clearly change in sound quality by changing cable.

So that's my story. I'm just feeling so thankful that I want to post something about how they help me get the best custom IEMs I ever had.

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #4,478 of 4,748
Good day to you guys. So this is my first post here on Headfi. I often read the forum, but didn't think that I have something to share until now.

I like Sony EX1000 a lot, but I was frustrated with how to wear it on. Especially when I go out on the road. My journey brought me to visit Itsfit, Vietnam on itsfitlab.com. I spent some months with the engineers there and tried a lot of things with the EX1000.

I feel really thankful for their hospitality so I want to share some of my experiments with them. These are experiments with filterless EX1000, which I prefer. (The reason they put the filter there, I guess, is to emphasize on female voice from Japanese anime. But I like the filterless option. The filter is easy to put back on nevertheless). So my experiments with Itsfit including:

- Custom tip for EX1000. This one I didn't like because it doesn't solve the wearing problem.

- Custom EX1000 1 without changing anything: put the whole thing inside a shell, change from sony connector to 2 pin by connecting exk connector to 2 pin connector. After experimenting with this one, I bought some EX1000 to put on the real experiments afterward. Nonetheless, you can choose this option if you want a safe option.
6pgplA7.jpg

- Custom EX1000 2, cut out the nozzle and change it to a bending one, made of resin. The result is a shift in peaks at high frequency to the right. Almost nothing is changed in bass and mid. Remember the image below is the measurement on their rig (I do compare it with Crin's measurement data and they are not the same). I didn't keep the original measurement but it follows the same line for bass and mid. Almost identical except for the peaks. For my custom EX1000, the shift in peak reduces grains that you might get from EX1000 at some points. This happen to me especially when a female is finishing an opera song, at the most intense moment. And you know, they guided me and let me do the whole thing, from creating the shells, putting ex1000 inside, making the resin nozzle and polishing the faceplate. Best service ever!
Pu0MuaI.jpg

C32VXKu.jpg

- Custom EX1000 3, this time their head designer did it. He carefully re-vented the thing with resin, giving it a little more bass, especially sub-bass. The venting part of the original shell of EX1000 is remove-able and the core is not affected. He also did the beautiful Koi fish design for me. For me, he IS a legendary resheller and custome IEM designer. I was there when he made the breakthrough for this design. A very creative mind!
6bWWW7U.jpg

Fb5oKyn.jpg

All in all, I get an unforgettable experience at Itsfit Lab. Their engineer also made a special cable for me, made of copper, silver-plated copper and gold-plated copper, x16. Very special one, nice looking and sound excellent. I must admit that this is the first time I hear a clearly change in sound quality by changing cable.

So that's my story. I'm just feeling so thankful that I want to post something about how they help me get the best custom IEMs I ever had.
amazing timeless iem in a new way ... beautiful work
Congratulations :)

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #4,479 of 4,748

6pgplA7.jpg

Pu0MuaI.jpg

C32VXKu.jpg

6bWWW7U.jpg

Fb5oKyn.jpg

Wow looks amazing! How much did that run you? I'm thinking maybe I gotta get in on that!

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #4,480 of 4,748
Wow looks amazing! How much did that run you? I'm thinking maybe I gotta get in on that!
Hey, it's normal reshell price + design fee. Since I was there for a long time, they gave me a reduced price. I think the reshell fee normally is from 150 usd, depending on what type of iem. The heritage design is 480 usd, for other design price you can check on their website itsfitlab.com. I bought used ex1000 for 200 usd.

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #4,481 of 4,748
Hey, it's normal reshell price + design fee. Since I was there for a long time, they gave me a reduced price. I think the reshell fee normally is from 150 usd, depending on what type of iem. The heritage design is 480 usd, for other design price you can check on their website itsfitlab.com. I bought used ex1000 for 200 usd.
Sweet, so that nice koi design + custom tuning work was $480 eh? Maybe I could pick up a really scuffed ex1k and send it in hehe. Keep my OG one as a backup in case anything goes wrong.

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #4,482 of 4,748
Sweet, so that nice koi design + custom tuning work was $480 eh? Maybe I could pick up a really scuffed ex1k and send it in hehe. Keep my OG one as a backup in case anything goes wrong.
Plus 150 reshell fee. I often listen for symphony orchestra and opera, so I personally don't like that much bass for many of my songs. 2nd option didn't change how I perceive the sound. You should know that this 3rd option will change the sound a lot. But I have 2 ciem so i can change between depending on the song. Ex1000 can be bought used from taobao for that price. I bought 2 from there, and also have 1 Japanese version. There's minor difference in appearance quality like the paint and the connector, but sound is the same.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #4,483 of 4,748

6pgplA7.jpg

Pu0MuaI.jpg

C32VXKu.jpg

6bWWW7U.jpg

Fb5oKyn.jpg

Well, i am amazed and very happy to see this! I personally love the fit of ththe ex600/800/1000. So comfy for me. But, this makes me want to try one of these for sure. Great post, grear great post.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #4,484 of 4,748
Delete

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #4,485 of 4,748
I’d highly recommend any EX1000 owners here to check out the Lotoo Paw S1 usb dac/amp. I got one today and started testing it with a few different monitors, and I’m blown away at how good the EX1K sounds out of this little device.

It has several preset EQ’s and there’s one called “headphone” that just sounds magnificent with the EX1K :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back