Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Oct 8, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #4,291 of 4,748
I don't think Sony will screw up the impedance curve of their IEMs like CFA did:ksc75smile:
Definitely, they have used all the trickeries in the book to make any of their headphones driveable by anything and still have the same sound sig.
Its in their dna being a brand that cater to literally everyone.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #4,292 of 4,748
Yup, I made no comment about signature and whatnot, only that I would really be hard-pressed to pick either one. Do note that I ran Andro with about 3ohm OI, so the bass was a bit more polite.

Another candidate would be the Sony M9, but sadly only managed a short demo on it (and the M7).

I really like the m9, i wish the ex1k had its treble if im being honest. So well extended and never sibilant. Super light and ergonomic, with probably one of the most well constructed stock cable you can find anywhere. I simply can't find any faults with it.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #4,293 of 4,748
I really like the m9, i wish the ex1k had its treble if im being honest.

How does it compare to the EX1000 in general? I`m considering buying the M9 and I absolutely LOVE the Ex1000...

Oct 8, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #4,294 of 4,748
I really like the m9, i wish the ex1k had its treble if im being honest. So well extended and never sibilant. Super light and ergonomic, with probably one of the most well constructed stock cable you can find anywhere. I simply can't find any faults with it.

100% agree. M9 is an awesome IEM. The bass is amazing for a BA.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #4,295 of 4,748
How does it compare to the EX1000 in general? I`m considering buying the M9 and I absolutely LOVE the Ex1000...

Yup i love them too, but they do have flaws. In comparison, the m9 feels weightless on the hand and on the ear, isolates like an iem should, and the first thing i notice is the treble extension on certain songs which wasn't there before when using the ex1k. Detail, imaging and separation is neck in neck, after that it's just a preference of tonality. On the mids for eg, i prefer how overdriven guitars sound on the ex1k, the crunchiness and how it blends with the bass guitar though it sounds perfectly fine on the m9. For bass, i think we can agree to not use the "for a BA" phrase on the m9 anymore. Depth, punch/thump, detail, it's all there and it doesn't bleed. For treble, i did put on my most sibilance inducing tracks and they passed. Equally revealing with that realistic shimmer but the better extensions gives it an airier feel, and is more forgiving on badly recorded tracks than the ex1k. So smooth.

In conclusion, if the ex is neutral-bright, the m9 is neutral-slightly warm so the last piece of the puzzle is figuring out which soundsig plays better with your songs. I used it with fairly neutral sources with no eq for reference.

100% agree. M9 is an awesome IEM. The bass is amazing for a BA.
Yup, and i spent more time with it than the z1r. I can't vibe with how the z1r feels on my ears though they sound superb as well. I was somehow more impressed with the m9 for some reason at that time. I guess initial bias played in as well. I was expecting to be bored with the m9 and wowed by the z1r. With the m9, you wear it and it disappears, allowing you to just enjoy your songs with no distractions like a peaky treble or lack of bass or whatnot. Fundamentally the ultimate reason why we invest in these things in the first place.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #4,296 of 4,748
For me the real sound of cymbals should be hard on the ears. I mean like when I listen to it on live performances, that’s how I prefer it so I kind of like how ex1k render the treble with a bit of edginess and sparkle. The andromeda overdo it.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #4,297 of 4,748
I received a Null Audio Tiburon UP-OCC Cryo Copper cable today. Ordered for the EX1000 along with 4.4mm balanced plug. I have to say that this is FANTASTIC! The connectors actually fit the earpieces and threads tighten up perfectly. Much better than the previous NA cable purchased a couple of years ago (think they used EX800 connector) and cable itself is better than the ones I bought from some seller on eBay although they had the correct connector.

Worth checking out NA if anyone is still after quality cables for their EX1000.

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #4,299 of 4,748
Yup i love them too, but they do have flaws. In comparison, the m9 feels weightless on the hand and on the ear, isolates like an iem should, and the first thing i notice is the treble extension on certain songs which wasn't there before when using the ex1k. Detail, imaging and separation is neck in neck, after that it's just a preference of tonality. On the mids for eg, i prefer how overdriven guitars sound on the ex1k, the crunchiness and how it blends with the bass guitar though it sounds perfectly fine on the m9. For bass, i think we can agree to not use the "for a BA" phrase on the m9 anymore. Depth, punch/thump, detail, it's all there and it doesn't bleed. For treble, i did put on my most sibilance inducing tracks and they passed. Equally revealing with that realistic shimmer but the better extensions gives it an airier feel, and is more forgiving on badly recorded tracks than the ex1k. So smooth.

In conclusion, if the ex is neutral-bright, the m9 is neutral-slightly warm so the last piece of the puzzle is figuring out which soundsig plays better with your songs. I used it with fairly neutral sources with no eq for reference.

Yup, and i spent more time with it than the z1r. I can't vibe with how the z1r feels on my ears though they sound superb as well. I was somehow more impressed with the m9 for some reason at that time. I guess initial bias played in as well. I was expecting to be bored with the m9 and wowed by the z1r. With the m9, you wear it and it disappears, allowing you to just enjoy your songs with no distractions like a peaky treble or lack of bass or whatnot. Fundamentally the ultimate reason why we invest in these things in the first place.
I enjoy M9 the most and it is really fun tip rolling with that set. Currently with symbio peeled. Super open sound with that imaging capability!

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #4,300 of 4,748
Worth checking out NA if anyone is still after quality cables for their EX1000.

How much did you pay for it? I`m looking for 4.4mm balanced cables for both my EX1000 and XBA Z5 as I`m currently only running 3.5mm balanced on them...

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #4,301 of 4,748
How much did you pay for it? I`m looking for 4.4mm balanced cables for both my EX1000 and XBA Z5 as I`m currently only running 3.5mm balanced on them...

$200 US + shipping. I opted for cheapest shipping thru regular post and it still arrived within a week with tracking.

Nov 3, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #4,304 of 4,748
some people have in china, they sell parts for the EX1000, but on the other hand, if you take care of it you shouldn't have problem, I've had my EX1000 for 2 year, not a scratch, my EX600 for 10 year, like new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back