Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Dec 20, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #3,901 of 4,748
So, I ripped apart the ex800 cable I bought, and just used it for the connectors. First time making an actual cable, so, I'm happy. Copper is from btg, 26 gauge. Apparently I bought the biggest y split possible, which I dont like for an iem cable but oh well. I plan on making an 8 or 16 strand with the same copper at some point. What I find really odd, is, it sounds better than the 8 strand 4.4mm copper cable I bought off eBay, and I don't know why. Im not much of a believer in cable differences besides copper vs silver, so maybe the ebay cable has a fault or bad solder in it? I switched back and fourth, and as much as I tried to convince myself theres no way they sound different...they do. My makeshift cable, that I had no expectation of sounding any different, has better bass texture, and seemingly more resolving upper mids, with slightly better treble decay. How? I'm seriously irritated, because it doesnt make sense. I need to get another quality full copper cable compare, because really, it has to be some defect in the ebay cable. I'm really weirded out by this. If its in my brain, I'm even more irritated tbh.

For neutral sounding or TOTL IEMs, I often find the stock cable works best with the IEM because it's tuned with the cable in mind. For IEMs like the ER4SR, although I have the option to change to a much more expensive cable (look at my signature, I'm a cable believer), I find that the stock cable sounds truest to its intended sound signature. I suspect it's the same with IEMs like the Andromeda + EX1000. You notice some incremental improvements with a new cable, but the feeling fades and you often go back to stock.

Now, if you think an IEM + stock cable's sound signature sounds "off", ex: too much bass, swapping a cable does help in this regard, ex: a silver one for more treble extension, forward mids and soundstage. However, if you're thinking of getting a cable as an "upgrade" to make it sound "better", it sometimes doesn't work out the way you want it to.

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,902 of 4,748
For neutral sounding or TOTL IEMs, I often find the stock cable works best with the IEM because it's tuned with the cable in mind. For IEMs like the ER4SR, although I have the option to change to a much more expensive cable (look at my signature, I'm a cable believer), I find that the stock cable sounds truest to its intended sound signature. I suspect it's the same with IEMs like the Andromeda + EX1000. You notice some incremental improvements with a new cable, but the feeling fades and you often go back to stock.

Now, if you think an IEM + stock cable's sound signature sounds "off", ex: too much bass, swapping a cable does help in this regard, ex: a silver one for more treble extension, forward mids and soundstage. However, if you're thinking of getting a cable as an "upgrade" to make it sound "better", it sometimes doesn't work out the way you want it to.

I only made that cable because I really dont like the rigid microphonic flat braid cable I bought off eBay. This one is really soft and flexible, and not microphonic. The only reason I want to make 8 or 16 core is for a more sturdy feel. Any perceived sonic change was absolutely not what I was going for or expecting at all. Sure its just my brain , and I'm good with that.

Dec 23, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #3,903 of 4,748
Has anyone tried using the EX1000 to watch sports/esports? The realism of the commentary is insane. Feels like I’m in the broadcast booth.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #3,904 of 4,748
I ordered a moondrop kanas pro yesterday, another dynamic that several people have stated they preferred over other totl dynamic iems, including our beloved ex1000. Now, I'm not expecting it to be better, but I got it on sale for 134 bucks. Cant wait to compare the two.

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #3,906 of 4,748
Where did You get those in this price?

EBay. They were on sale for 158, then there was another 15% coupon that day.

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #3,908 of 4,748
I ordered a moondrop kanas pro yesterday, another dynamic that several people have stated they preferred over other totl dynamic iems, including our beloved ex1000. Now, I'm not expecting it to be better, but I got it on sale for 134 bucks. Cant wait to compare the two.

Have you got your KPE yet? really looking forward your impressions on them vs EX1000. I also read someone sold CA andromeda and beats ex1000. For me ex1000 just 1 of perfect iem that suits me perfectly, large airy soundstage with all those microdetails in all frequency range with deep sub bass. ex1000 is near perfect DD iem for me, maybe for some people hate shouty peak at 5-6khz but can be tamed easily with light EQ.
If KPE similar to ex1000 or even more can beat ex1000 then definitely im sold.

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #3,909 of 4,748
Have you got your KPE yet? really looking forward your impressions on them vs EX1000. I also read someone sold CA andromeda and beats ex1000. For me ex1000 just 1 of perfect iem that suits me perfectly, large airy soundstage with all those microdetails in all frequency range with deep sub bass. ex1000 is near perfect DD iem for me, maybe for some people hate shouty peak at 5-6khz but can be tamed easily with light EQ.
If KPE similar to ex1000 or even more can beat ex1000 then definitely im sold.
I have never tried the KPE but I do have the EX1000 and CA Andromeda. To me they are both great and wouldn’t be able to pick one over the other. The EX1000 does sound a bit more open due to the vented design since you can hear a little of what’s around you. When going from one to the other, Andromeda seems a bit more balanced and relaxed. However, I don’t find EX1000 fatiguing nor have any issues with the 5-6kHz spike.

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #3,910 of 4,748
I have never tried the KPE but I do have the EX1000 and CA Andromeda. To me they are both great and wouldn’t be able to pick one over the other. The EX1000 does sound a bit more open due to the vented design since you can hear a little of what’s around you. When going from one to the other, Andromeda seems a bit more balanced and relaxed. However, I don’t find EX1000 fatiguing nor have any issues with the 5-6kHz spike.

Maybe for some people, for myself i also no problem with that lower treble. I was trying to ask someone that have KPE because aiming that Kanas Pro since someone said better than EX1000 and other people selling his andromeda and keep his Kanas pro.
Thanks anyway for stopping by. Cheers

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #3,911 of 4,748
Maybe for some people, for myself i also no problem with that lower treble. I was trying to ask someone that have KPE because aiming that Kanas Pro since someone said better than EX1000 and other people selling his andromeda and keep his Kanas pro.
Thanks anyway for stopping by. Cheers

I havnt gotten it yet, it's being shipped from outside the usa via dhl. Hopefully soon. The people saying that it is better than the ex1000 also seem to be peopke that dont like the ex1000 in the first place, so ive been taking that with a grain of salt, since we all hear so differently. Itll be interesting to compare them for sure.

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #3,912 of 4,748
I havnt gotten it yet, it's being shipped from outside the usa via dhl. Hopefully soon. The people saying that it is better than the ex1000 also seem to be peopke that dont like the ex1000 in the first place, so ive been taking that with a grain of salt, since we all hear so differently. Itll be interesting to compare them for sure.

I think so, for me ex1000 is ideal near perfect iem for me, almost covered every single aspects that i need. Maybe the only downside is only their not friendly connector.
Really looking forward for your impressions later on. Thanks in advance

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #3,913 of 4,748
I think so, for me ex1000 is ideal near perfect iem for me, almost covered every single aspects that i need. Maybe the only downside is only their not friendly connector.
Really looking forward for your impressions later on. Thanks in advance

The connectors were easy to solder, would be nice if I coukd find a seller of the original sony ones. The cable I made has them but only because I ruined the stock cable to use them. The connectors you can readily buy are really cheap and plastic threads. I shoyld be making anotber cable soon, 8 core cable using that ELF gold plated 24wawg on eBay. We shall see

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #3,914 of 4,748
The connectors were easy to solder, would be nice if I coukd find a seller of the original sony ones. The cable I made has them but only because I ruined the stock cable to use them. The connectors you can readily buy are really cheap and plastic threads. I shoyld be making anotber cable soon, 8 core cable using that ELF gold plated 24wawg on eBay. We shall see

Maybe build spare cable for EX1000 is better way, all this long i was too scared if something happen with that fragile cable, so thin and i was thinking very difficult to find (or expensive). But at second thought, if KPE really that good (honesty i take that commend "better than ex1000" a bit too subjective / hyped opinion), or at least can cover 80-90% goodness of ex1000 i might pull the trigger for my daily driver, keeping safe the ex1000 for home use only

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #3,915 of 4,748
Maybe build spare cable for EX1000 is better way, all this long i was too scared if something happen with that fragile cable, so thin and i was thinking very difficult to find (or expensive). But at second thought, if KPE really that good (honesty i take that commend "better than ex1000" a bit too subjective / hyped opinion), or at least can cover 80-90% goodness of ex1000 i might pull the trigger for my daily driver, keeping safe the ex1000 for home use only

Well I'll let you know soon, but as always, my hearing and opinion is going to differ than others. I'm an ex1000 fanboy of sorts so I'm going to probably have some high standards to say something is better. I dont expect it to be better by the way, I expect them to be different, I dont thinj one is going to kill the other, as some have stated already. The ex1000 is a very capable iem with the correct fit and source. Ive absolutley heard it sound thin and bright with the "wrong" combinations. So, people who say its thin, either really really dont like their sound Sig, or they did not tinker enough. Which, is fine, I liked mine from the beginning and had a year and a half to randonly tinker. If I didntlike somethjng right away I'm surely not going to keep trying to get it the way I want. Having said that, I'm really really excited to compare the kanas pro to the ex1000,I expect them to be complementary, if theyre more sinilar than different, and one is a clear winner, than I'll probably sell whichever the lesser is. Who knows, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low and my mind open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back