Sony ES Receivers
Nov 5, 2002 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bootman

King o'Ping
Does anyone have any experience with the ES line of receivers?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Does anyone have any experience with the ES line of receivers?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Sony ES line of receivers is much better than the standard Sony line. The warranties and level of service are also better. Sony ES is worthy of consideration if you find them for a sufficient discount and you like them.

I have a Sony DA80ES, which was a good value when it was introduced and the number of Dolby Digital receivers was still relatively small. I don't regret buying it, but today I would much rather have a seperates system if I could afford one. Definitely consider all of your options and don't forget there is a good used market for home theater equipment.

If you're determined to buy a new receiver, I'd also recommend looking at Onkyo, higher end Yamaha and Denon. I'd avoid most of the others, including Harmond Kardon who used to make good equipment but now seem to be earning a reputation with poor quality control.

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 6
I need a simple receiver. I hate the regular sony line but the ES is at least entry level "hifi".
I was looking at their entry model the STR-DA1ES which I can find for under $350.
The only reason I was looking at the Sony was really for convenience since I also have a Sony bigscreen and I can control the receiver through the TV's IF "eye" through the S-Link hookup.
(The unit will be hidden away in the entertainment center. I have an IF repeater but its performance is spotty at best.)
It won't be used for critical listening sessions, just simple HT TV stuff.

Nov 5, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't really agree that Sony ES is hi-fi. The model I have is electronically identical to the top of the line from that model year (only remote and interface differs) and yet I'd consider it very much mid-fi. Not trying to catch a syntax argument, but want to make sure you're aware of how much better it can and does get.

Nov 6, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 6
You are right.
99.9 % of receivers are "mid-fi".
(Sigh, my last "hi-fi" setup involved some Maggies and a Proton integrated amp about 10 years ago. That little system did vocals like nobody's business. Now it's headphones for that "hi-fi" sound.)
An entry Hi-Fi receiver might be something like a B&K AVR202.
But that unit is a bit over budget.
But what I really need is something inexpensive, that does surround but isn't built like crap. (ie. everything at "Best Buy")
The ES line might fit the bill.

Nov 6, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 6
Your budget might also stretch further if you look into a nice used receiver, or a demo from a dealer. You could likely find something at least a couple models above what you can afford new. Check dor possible deals on E-Bay too (yes, they can be had there if you know what you are looking for, and its value).
I agree with Kelly though, Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha, and I would add Outlaw, are the brands to consider. I'm a fan of some of the Sony ES stuff, but its only the seperates that truly shine.
Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back