Sony ES CD player? are they any good?
Jun 3, 2004 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ismelllikepoop

100+ Head-Fier
I got a used sony es cd changer, ca80es for pretty cheap ($60). I was wondering what kind of money I would have to spend to get much of a difference in sound quality? Has anyone compared this to the marantz's or nad 541i 542, or rotels (rcd-02), or would they be similar? I'm just hesitant to pay 3-400 and get a cd-player that isn't much better especially since I didn't have to pay much for what I have.

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 7
It all depends on how far you want to go with this hobby. What kind of equipment are you using and/or planning to use with this source? If you're simply looking for something cost effective/inexpensive, then I think you've made the right choice with the Sony. Now, if you're planning to spend upwards of $1000 on headphones and amps ($300-400 for headphones and $400-800 for an amp), then I'll recommend you go up further on the chain with a higher end source.

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 7
I always like the Sony ES build quality, built like a tank. As to sound, I read the XA7ES was really the best there was in its hayday. I briefly owned an XA20ES, really good bass response, really liked it. I can't do a comparison with recent CD players, because I haven't bought any recent models.

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 7
One thing that bugs is, the old Sony ES CD players were built like tanks. But some of the lower end Rotels, NADs, and others, are really flimsy in comparison, even though they charge an arm and a leg for them. Also, some of the early Rotels and NADs had really bad quality control problems.

Jun 3, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 7
I haven't heard of the CA80ES but Sony CDP-XA20ES is at least on par with the Phillips 963SA. I modified and replaced op-amp witht the OPA-637 and it sound awesome. I really enjoy it. I brifely owned the 1991 Sony CDP-C77ES and wasn't impressed by it. I would suggest getting your hand on Sony CDP-XA20ES, and C333ES for a really good sound under 400 bucks. I also agree that the ES built quality is also first rated.

Jun 3, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 7
Is the XA20ES one with the puck? I would want to buy one just for that, it looks sweet, but they still seem pretty pricey, but I guess the build quality difference is pretty significant. I really liked the way the rotels sound, but they look and feel flimsy to me. The rega jupiter was solid, the store i went to only has the jupiter. Is the build of the two the same? the pics they look identical
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
I haven't heard of the CA80ES but Sony CDP-XA20ES is at least on par with the Phillips 963SA. I modified and replaced op-amp witht the OPA-637 and it sound awesome. I really enjoy it. I brifely owned the 1991 Sony CDP-C77ES and wasn't impressed by it. I would suggest getting your hand on Sony CDP-XA20ES, and C333ES for a really good sound under 400 bucks. I also agree that the ES built quality is also first rated.

Jun 3, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 7
There are few models with the puck (stablizing mass). I personally think CDP-X3000 or X5000 are some of the prettiest ones Sony ever made. Of course, finding one in used market is EXTREMELY difficult (took me almost 7 months to hunt down mine
wink.gif
) plus you will need power up/down transformer (its either 100V or 220V, no 110V). There's something about cool about fixed lens based (CD moves, not the lens assembly, it only tracks) with see-through sliding cover. If you asked me, it sounds darn close to more expensive 777es for redbook playing (even the switchable digital filters have similar effect to SCD-1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back