Sony Eggos: D22SL vs. D66SL
May 25, 2006 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kramerica

New Head-Fier
Who here has experience with eggos? Any real gripes? I'm putting up the 2 models (assuming these are the only 2 models, are there any others?) because I'd like to know if in your guys' opinion it's worth the extra $40-50 to upgrade from D22SL to D66SL or not.

Also anyone know the cheapest place I can find these things besides Audio Cubes?

May 25, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 13
if you feel the need to splurge, spend the extra $40 or so on the D66SL. speaking from an eggo collector standpoint, the D22s are fun to have (variances of colours) but really nothing to write home about. the D66s are probably my favourite of all the eggos (maybe the D77s) and the more better sounding of them all.

a bit subjective, but sound is quite good -- although some say they are a bit soft on the bass side; true, but i'd rather have it precise than boomy.

anyway, yes on the D66s; or if you're feeling real charitable -- go for broke and get both!
eggosmile.gif

BTW, there are more than 2 models of eggos:
MDR-D11 (MDR-D11W), MDR-D22SL, MDR-D33, MDR-D55, MDR-D66SL, MDR-D77 --> as well as sport-style revisions based on the D11 and D33, i believe.

May 25, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 13
Yeah I made this post before archive searching and see pretty much everyone in favor of the d66 and that the extra dough is well justified. Although these are some pretty old posts, any opinions changed since then?

And again, where else besides audio cubes can I find these things? Even ebay's only got one auction up right now.

May 25, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 13
The other thing I want to know is from what I understand eggos make for a great pair of portible headphones, but how do the d66sl stack up against others as far as home use? Are they still worth the money compared to the other headphones in their price range?

May 25, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 13
I used to use my d66sl's for my portable and home setup, but now that my k701 has arrived, my eggos are getting a lot more shelf time. I found the d66sl's fine for portable usage but a bit too bright to listen to at home for long periods of time even after doing the bass mod (the one where you poke the plastic diaphragms inside the cups). I like having a little "oomph" when I'm listening to music or watching movies at home, but the d66sl's sound is a little too thin in my opinion. Overall, I still think they're a great set of 'phones and definitely worth their price in that range, but I eventually got tired of the brightness and started looking at more expensive solutions to satisfy the urge that is "upgrade-itis". Great starter phones, I say, but beware...

May 25, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 13
Alright thanks. I actually like my bass on the light side so if that was your only problem with them then I'm not that worried.

I guess I'll ask one more time though before I go ahead and give up, but does anyone know where else I can buy these besides audiocubes and ebay? Archive search has shown that many of you have/had these things, you couldn't of all bought them at the same place could you? Please, let me know.

May 25, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 13
i have checked sites such as Bluetin and the like to no avail. i bought mine from A/C as they were the primary sponsor of then-Minidisc T-Board (now audio t-board). if you can find people selling em here, suggest keep your eyes peeled.

May 25, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 13
I don't mean to distract from the OP, but how do the k81dj's compare to the d66sl's as a portable phone? I like a good amount of bass (I'm really likeing my DT770's), which seems to be light on the eggos, but other than SQ, how do they compare in insolation and comfortability? Thanks in advance!

May 25, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 13
D66 are good portable cans, the bass mod isnt as tough as it seems.

For home, if you want a set of cans to use for portable and then occasionally at home their good for that, because you dont have to use an amp for them.

May 26, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramerica
Who here has experience with eggos? Any real gripes? I'm putting up the 2 models (assuming these are the only 2 models, are there any others?) because I'd like to know if in your guys' opinion it's worth the extra $40-50 to upgrade from D22SL to D66SL or not.

Also anyone know the cheapest place I can find these things besides Audio Cubes?

I dont have the d22, but I have the d33 (i think it's the same driver as d22, but the headband looks like a d66) and the d66. I'll throw in my 2 cents here.

I say get the d66... I tried the d22 and the headband part is not as comfortable as the 66s (hard plastic on the d22, soft n squishy rubber things on the d66). I wont get into sound, since i havent heard the d22 enough to comment.

If you're looking for a small, foldable headphone that is easy to drive, comfortable, chances are ur gonna like the d66s, but if u dont like them u can always sell them back... d66 has much better resale value than d22.

May 27, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 13
Eggos are a great pair of cans. Gets quite boomy after the bass mod. In stock though, clear high, mids, but doesn't rock quite as hard as a pair of Grados.

EDIT: Just noticed, 1k post count. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back