Sony DVP-9000ES Review (LONG!)
May 5, 2002 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
Just found a long review
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/A...-1-002147.html

May 5, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 3
I have had the ES9000 for about 6 months. I think the video quality isn't state of the art anymore, but the CD/SACD does sound darned good. And its nice having 1 player do a nearly reference level job at both.

One note, at first I was overwhelmed at luscious midrange and highs, but after listening for awhile the music just didn't sound coherent. The emphasis and drama wasn't where it should have been. So, just for kicks, I tried different interconnects. I was using AudioQuest midlines before, and switched to some inexpensive straightwire.

This did the trick mostly. The CD player now had everything right at the expense of some of the midrange lushness. But definitely a positive trade-off. I might try some higher end interconnects to see if I can retrieve some of the liquid highs and mids, but its still by far the best CD/SACD or DVD player I've owned.

May 25, 2002 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 3
I've had good results with several cables, including MIT MI-330 II, Homegrown Audio Silver Lace, and Outlaw Audio PCA. These have all given me good sound with the 9000ES, and, while I have a slight preference for the Silver Lace, could happily live with any of them.

This is not true of the digital interconnect. I've had very good results with the discontinued Elco DC-32 digital cable, which has been head and shoulders above any of the other digital cables I've tried (but I haven't attempted the megabuck brands yet). Elco's current lines are much more expensive than the $45 I paid for the DC-32's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back