Sony DR-ZX701IP. Truly similar to the Sony ZX700?
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

leader

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community,

I've been doing research on many headphones during the past week, and I have found that I've turned to this forum more often than not. I've looked at over 20 and narrowed down my selection to a few. As I truly do not have the capacity to discern the differences between headphones, and I only need quality headphones for movie watching and listening to music occasionally, I have decided to spend less than $80 on a pair. I definitely would like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or V-MODA Crossfade M-80, as those seem to be the popular choices on here and other websites, but I'm willing to settle for the MDR-ZX700, DR-ZX701IP, MDR-V6, MDR-7506, MDR-V55, Incase Sonic, or HTF600 until I have a better understanding of sound and am able to appreciate it more.

I've looked at Ljokerl's shootout thread (thanks! it was informative) and compared all the headphones to each other using that thread, posts on this forum, and reviews elsewhere as a reference. I like the breakdown on Ljokerl's thread, and I am mainly interested in comfort, isolation, and sound quality. So, let me start by ranking the headphones and then you guys will hopefully evaluate: ZX700, ZX701 > MDR-V6, MDR-7506 > MDR-V55, Incase Sonic > HTF600. From what I've read, the ZX701 is similar to the ZX700, so that is why I rated similarly, but I don't know if this is correct. The V6 is the consumer version of the 7506, but they sound mostly the same. The V55 are pretty good phones, but they do not sound as good as the aforementioned. I don't know how the Incase Sonic and HTF600 compare to the others, except that the HTF600 is good for its price.

In case you do not want to read the above:
1) Is the ZX701 similar to/a newer version of the ZX700.? This listing on eBay says so, and the seller claims to be a user on Head-Fi.
2) Will buying any of these headphones actually make a difference over $15 headphones? I only have an iPhone and a decent HP laptop with on-board audio.
3) Which headphones above do you recommend? Like I said, anything below $80 is acceptable.

If the ZX701 is basically the ZX700, there is a popular seller on Amazon who is selling "like new" ones for $38.

Thank you!

Note: If one of you readers is the seller on eBay I linked to, I am not saying that your listing had false information; I just want opinions from other members, too.

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 11

Hi,

I thought you might want to check your local Staples for Sony DR-ZX701IP -- I just paid $39.50 for it, brand-new, this evening in Manhattan.  It's on clearance and the store did not have any sign and I was ready to pay $149.99 but was nicely surprised at the sale price.  Even the sales clerk was surprised and said the pricing is probably set by corporate.  No complaint here!!  

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Hi,

I thought you might want to check your local Staples for Sony DR-ZX701IP -- I just paid $39.50 for it, brand-new, this evening in Manhattan.  It's on clearance and the store did not have any sign and I was ready to pay $149.99 but was nicely surprised at the sale price.  Even the sales clerk was surprised and said the pricing is probably set by corporate.  No complaint here!!  

Thanks for telling me about the sale. I called my local Staples store, but unfortunately, they do not have them. Do you like the headphones? How do they compare to others you've tried before?

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Thanks for telling me about the sale. I called my local Staples store, but unfortunately, they do not have them. Do you like the headphones? How do they compare to others you've tried before?

I've just ordered them yesterday, and they shipped out today. It'll probably take 2 weeks for them to arrive (USPS First Class Mail International Parcel). Check Blinq's Amazon store to see if there's any more.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 11
I got this to replace my broken Etymotic earphones.  Thought I'd try over-the-head for a change.  After a few hours continuous use, so far, I find it very comfortable on the ears with the thick cushion (will be great for outdoors in the winter months).  As for sound, the headphones sounds really clear and with the 50mm drivers, it gives deep bass and clear treble output. Another reason I got it is also for the noise isolation capability -- this works, probably up to 80% since I can hear a bit of the ambiance noise around me unless I tune my player up a bit.  My Etymotic earphones had higher noise isolation under my normal playing volume.  All in all, I'd get it again -- and at the original price, it's still a good value.  Very well built.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back