Sony Diskman D-828K Line out?
Mar 15, 2006 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dino9832

New Head-Fier
I bought an 828 Car Discman from a pawn shop for $5. Everything seems to work except the line out.
Any tricks to getting this to work?

I thought the Amber/Green lights didn't work either, but discovered that they only work when running off an external power source.

Anyone the history on the 828? I've already done a search of head-fi.

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 7
no history with that model specifically.
I bought a magnavox PCDP and the DC power jack was dead. Solder joints were cracked. I opened the case, lifted the PCB. Coated the solder post through holes with flux and re-flowed a bunch of solder. No problems since... knock on wood

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 7
[size=small]I can't help with the repair but I do have a similar model. It's a D-826K and I've had it almost eleven years without the slightest problem (manufactured January 1995). I still use it to this day. It's built pretty solid and both the headphone and line out jacks sound very good. Hopefully you just have a loose connection, because I think you'll really like the sound of the line out when you get it working.[/size]

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks guys!
I did have some success with reflowing solder. There is a small, long, and skinny circuit board that connects the pwr/line-out board to the main board. The boards are connected through some small square 6-pin connecters. Apparently, there is some stress on the 6-pin connecters when pressure is applied to the pwr or line-out jack. This cracked the solder between the 6-pin connector and the board.

I'm glad to have the line-out working now. Well worth $5.
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 7
That's right, the DC power jack is on a small "daughter board" connected to the main board via a multi pin connector.

The D-121 has this. And many other models too I am sure.

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tungsten
That's right, the DC power jack is on a small "daughter board" connected to the main board via a multi pin connector.

The D-121 has this. And many other models too I am sure.

wonder if my D223 has this?... at any rate I'll have to be careful with it.

Garrett

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
wonder if my D223 has this?... at any rate I'll have to be careful with it.
Garrett

It dosen't seem to be "delicate".
The plastic case does hold the circuit board in place so all the stress is not on the 6-pin connector. I'm not sure how mine ended up needing to be resoldered. But, no telling what the poor PCDP has been subjected to.
eek.gif

The lid is broke on one side also. I just use a rubber band to hold it together.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back