Sony DEJ925 vs Pana SLCT780
Oct 18, 2001 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

evildonut

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

ok here's a newbie question : As you can see from my profile, my headphone experience is somewhat limited right now
frown.gif

I really like my headphones right now, so what I want to do is either get a headphone amp (I've tried a Rega Ear and loved it) or a new source. The latter is appealing for many reason, but because it's for work, I'll have to stick to something portable.

So I might as well get something decent!! My quest is between the two mentioned above, but all suggestions are welcome.

Sooo, what do you guys think of them, do they have the potential to sound good with my current headphones? Also, I can't find out whether they have a line out for taking advantage of a headphone amp at a later date.

Cheers!

Oct 21, 2001 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 20
I have the 925, and the build quality on this Cd player is excellent. This little guy is the current smallest in the world, features 50 hours play time, and CD text capability. Soundwise...this cd is not as good. The digital megabass is way below standard and resulted in distortion of my grado sr-80. The bass is heavy but not tasteful.. The high leave a lot to be desired.

I don't know about the pana, but I have the panasonic sl-s651c. I did some comparison b/w this pcdp with the 925, and ej01. .... Pana beats sony..hand down in sound qulity.
Build qulity goes to sony though....
biggrin.gif

go pana!!!

Oct 22, 2001 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 20
Hey Purk,

thanks for that comment! The only review I found of the 925 was in HiFi Choice, and they gave it 5 *.

I thought the Pana was the smallest? On their website it says "the smallest as of Jan 2001".

I'll guess I'll have to go down to a shop with my h/phones and give it a go then!

What's the fuss about the ej01, all about gadgets?

Oct 22, 2001 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 20
Evil...,
I also have the EJ01, and the features is about the same as the 925. This is Sony flagship model that features magnesium die cast body. I don't really think it's that much better than the 925, except the slot in mechanism, and cooler remote control. The sound qulity is the same, notthing spectacular. The megabass is very muddy, distort, and the unit lack good treble.
Rather than the build quality, slot-in, and the remote.... i can't give this a very high mark sound wise. I would go with the panasonic rather than sony. You will be more please with panasonic.

Oct 22, 2001 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 20
purk, your Panasonic SL-S651C is an old model (how old is it?). Newer Panasonics have cut back on their headphone amps, as well! In fact, the newest ones sound nearly as crappy as most of the newest Sonys (at least out of their headphone jacks) - and only the top-of-the-line new Panasonic models even have a line-out jack (at least in North America), so if you bought even a mid-level Panasonic, you'll still get that crappy headphone jack as its only output!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2001 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 20
Eagle,
My 651 is 5 years old but still running strong. I also have the Sx-500. I really think buying panasonic is like buying Toyota, and Sony is more like buying Honda. Both are very reliable, but Sony looks and feel better, while the real quality belongs to panasonic.
I am not quite sure wheter how bad is the new panansonic, but the 925, and jo1's sound quality is bad in my standard. It can't even keep up with my R900. Well, I think the best I idea is to bring your "quality headphone" and try it out in store. The megabass is quite bad for my taste. It has too much of mid bass, but lack of real bass. The high is missing quite a lot to be desired. Moreover, the 925 is made in Malaysia.... Quite disappointing interm of sound quality. Otherwise, I give the j01 and the 925 a 9.5 out of 10.

Oct 23, 2001 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

I really think buying panasonic is like buying Toyota, and Sony is more like buying Honda. Both are very reliable, but Sony looks and feel better, while the real quality belongs to panasonic.

Is that a joke!? Seriously - Honda engines are efficient, smooth-running wonders......my dad has a Toyata and my mom a Honda - I MUCH prefer the Honda(s of past) over the Toyato(s of past)......

Oct 23, 2001 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 20
Um, back to cd players....
smily_headphones1.gif

The 780 has a very good line out, is very small, and has great battery life. I really like it. I've heard the top end sony's have a good line out, so it may just be whichever you like the best... one may not be superior if you're going to use an amp. If you aren't going to use one, the panasonic is the way to go, because it still has a more powerful amp than the sony. However, for non-amped listening you may want to try to find a Panasonic 470 or 570. They both have much better headphone jacks...

Oct 23, 2001 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 20
Coolvj,
Panasonic used to be number one in Japan back in the old days, and Sony has just began their dynasty in the late 80's. That's also applied to Toyota and Honda. I think I make my point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Whatever, you pick...they are 2 of the best in Japan. And their quality is that not much different. To me, I prefer panasonic CD player rather than the sony's.
By the way, I used to have the 1989 sony ...and this metal tank is first rated in sound and build quality.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 29, 2001 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 20
Purk: Which pcdp DO you have? 1989 sounds like the time when Sony were spitting out some seriously good machines........
wink.gif

And........Honda......Sony.....ALL THE WAY
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2001 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 20
I couldn't remember what's the model number on this machine, but it's now death. This thing features optical digital output (toslink), backlit lcd, remote, steel body (weigh like 1.5 lbs), and a very good earphone (SONY E-472). The earphone is similarly in design as the 484, but material is plastic rather than ceramic.
And for sure, this thing sound terrific, nice treble, deep and very well define bass. The midrange and nice and realistic. I am very impressed.
I still think wheter how can I bring it back to life!!! eemmm ....I wish sony will make some good stuff again. The anti-skip really kill the sound quality!!!

Oct 30, 2001 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 20
Regardless of quality, one thing that is certain is that Panasonic charges WAY less for the CDPs than Sony does. You especially see the difference in places like Hong Kong which stocks like every damn PCDP ever made. My SL-CT570 costed a mere $120 and was the top of the line Panasonic model back then...in comparsion to the top of the line Sony which was the DE-J01, which was going for $250-280 I believe.

Oct 30, 2001 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 20
vertigo,
I hope our ears get better soon. I am now reading you review on the king, R10. It's sure a very beautiful headphone. You are very fortunate to own one. Bow to the king!!
I really like panasonic. They are one of the best in the world, yet their price is very respectable. I love the fact that Panasonic last forever and cost like lenox. I am sitting here with my flawless Sl-S651. The 651 cost merely 200 dollars back in 1996, but it truely worth every penny. It still fuction flawlessly and never give me any trouble. And I bought the sony stuff to sell, not to own!!
rolleyes.gif

But that old Sony I was refering about was way better than my pana in sound quality. I am sad that Sony charge too much for their product and not many of them are that good!
Have u heard of the Sony D-465? I just bought this for 40 dollars. It's one of most beautiful discman ever made.

Oct 30, 2001 at 5:39 AM Post #15 of 20
purk, don't read into that review too much...my views on the R10s have changed by far since that review.
biggrin.gif

And, yes, I OWN a D-465, bought back in 1995 when it first came out.
evil_smiley.gif
It was either this or the 777, and for pure usability, it is WAY better, and is pratically exactly the same as the 777. I'm betting the 465 doesn't sound very different from the 777, since it came out about the same time as the 777, and we all know how Sony puts the same DAC in their models within one releasing, regardless of price. It really does rule...the perfect mating of functionality, aesthetics, build, and price. It's got that coveted 15mw amp too.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back