Sony D515 repair
Oct 15, 2002 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DeeJayBump

500+ Head-Fier
Just received a call from the Sony service center that I sent my D515 to in August to get repaired. Turns out, they did not repair it because they say some of the parts needed to fix it are no longer available.

So, that leaves me with a classic discman that is in need of repair. Anyone know anywhere else that might have the parts to fix my beloved D515 that I can send this to? I know, if Sony can't find the parts, the odds of someone else finding them is low to say the least, but I have to at least ask.

Edited to add:

I really, really hope there is a way that my D515 can be repaired.

However, if that is not an option, I need suggestions for a replacement. Bear in mind, I'd be looking for a PCDP that can compete with the D515 sonically. The D515 was going to cost @$240 to repair, so I have up to and maybe a little over that amount to replace the D515 with if I have to.

The PDCP in question MUST have exceptional fidelity, as it will be going into a "reference" portable rig (Grado 225s, META42+PCDP) that I'm putting together.

Damn you sony, why oh why don't you have my parts.

Oct 15, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 12
Deejaybump,
Sorry about your beloved D-515. I have no clue..where else that can get this player fix.

Oct 15, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 12
According to Purk, the D-311 might be an alternative if you like DSP. I have a D-303 that I am trying to sell at about half of what your repair bill will cost. Or with over $200 to spend, why not get Purk's D-555, the king.

Oct 15, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
Maybe you can find another non-working unit and scavenge parts. Or keep your eyes peeled for another used one.

What part(s) does the d-515 need?

According to the estimate sheet Sony sent me, it needs the following:

Optical Pickup Assembly A-A82
Motor Assembly, CLV (DC) 30A-97C
Jack (I assume this is the headphone/remote jack, which they have plenty of)

Motor Assembly, Feed (DC) 40D-34C

When the lady called from the service center this morning with the bad news, she could not tell me which parts are no longer available, though she did say the $ I sent in for the total cost of the repair would be refunded.

Oct 15, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 12
frown.gif
I'm pretty sure salvaging some parts from an old one is the only way.
frown.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 12
Hi,
The problem remains, Sony D-515 is too tough to find. It only show up once in 8 months period in Ebay.

Purk

Oct 16, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 12
The D-515's apparent rareness caused me to purchase it when I saw it for sale. I ended up selling my beyer 250-80's to help pay for it, and now I miss them.
frown.gif

I really like the D-515 though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you should move on and get a D303 or D555 and be happy. The D555 is pretty much stationary only but it sure is one purdy playa...

Biggie.

Oct 16, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I think you should move on and get a D303 or D555 and be happy. The D555 is pretty much stationary only but it sure is one purdy playa... Biggie. [/B]

Someone else suggested this as well. I am in the process of purchasing a D555 from Purk. I still hope to find a D515 in perfect working order as well, though--somewhere down the line.

To that end (D515 hunting) how do I setup a wish list or something similar on Ebay so that Ebay will alert me when one comes up for sale/auction? Are there any other online places to keep an eye out for the D515 as well?

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 12
You can bookmark your searches on ebay so you don't have to type what your searching for everytime, just hit the link.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 12
IS there anyone out there who knows where I can find one of the parts warehouses that have Discman parts? I've been Google-ing, but no luck. Seems like Google has changed something as their search results now seem to have little to do with the actual search entry.

I seem to remember a few years ago coming across many places on the 'net that have laser pickup assemblies and the like for older models like my D-515.

I have a listing of the exact parts that need to be replaced, and if I can track them down, there is an authorized repair place about 45 minutes from me.

Thanks for any help in this search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back