Sony D-EJ011: A in-depth review
Sep 26, 2008 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

babya

100+ Head-Fier
Sony D-EJ011: A in-depth review by A.A. Fussy

This will be a multi-part review-so photos will be in the final part

Part 1-Introducing the D-EJ011
There have been a lot of CD Walkman and before that the Sony Discman models released from 1984 until late 2006 but today there are no newer models.

All in the family

The D-EJ011 is such a example-being notable for being a part of the last new series of basic PCDP's by Sony.

A step up from the EJ011 is the EJ017/021CK series which include a remote and car kit.

The NE240/NF340 added MP3 playback and its display is on the top.

Being the most basic model, it is sold for under $50-I paid $49 for mine last December.

The design and controls
It has a full circle design-a bit bigger than a CD, and a two tone color scheme:silver top, black bottom.

Controls are along the bottom, with sound/P MODE,VOL -/+,open,a 1 line display, stop/paiuse ,next/previous.

Unlike the intuitive and smooth operating jog lever on players like the EJ761, Sony went for a separate next and previous buttons.

Although there is plenty of room on both curved sides, Sony chose to smartly position the hold switch on the bottom.

Some buttons have double functions-eg.
P MODE toggles between different play modes:repeat, shuffle, repeat one
Sound has 2 settings: SND1/SND2 and AVLS

There is also the bookmark feature as seen on 2002-2006 models.

Sound Features

Sony's Digital MEGA BASS is present with 2 stages-SND1 and SND2.

Unlike older Discmans, there's no volume graph type display-only "SND1/SND2" to indicate the MEGA BASS level.

AVLS is present and is turned on by a long press of the P Mode button.

Mechanism
The D-EJ011 uses the DAX-25E optical pickup which is very responsive.

The spindle design is of special mention:it features a series of steel balls with springs to firmly hold the disc in place.

SQ

Being the last of its kind-no newer CD Walkmans were released after the FJ040/EJ011/NE240, the EJ011 has nice sound-listening to Michael Jackson with MEGA BASS sounded very good with a nice wide sound stage.

Much better sound quality than the first Sony PCDCP we had-a 1997 D-E303.

Coming up-comparisons with the F20 and EJ761 and the conclusion.

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 16
Part 2

Comparisons

The D-EJ011 will be compared to the"

D-F20 (2001)
D-EJ761 (2002)

D-F20 is larger than the EJ011 dob due to the presence of a AM/FM tuner, there's a different button layout, and the mechanism is not as not good in design.

D-EJ761: has line-out and a remote jack, a jog lever.

Conclusion:
A inexpensive and good sounding portable CD Player, the D-EJ011 is worth a look.

Photo
img0080mk9.jpg

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 16
Nice review. I've got a D-EJ01 (or at least that's what I think it is), and quite like it, although it's has been some time since I last used it. Maybe this thread will serve as a reminder to blow the dust off of it. It looks pretty much the same as your D-EJ011, so I'm now wondering what the differences might be.

Seems like it was more in the $200-ish range at the time I bought it, way back when, but I don't suppose there is much demand for PCDPs these days. But come to think of it, I may be confusing things (price-wise) with another Sony PCDP that I have. I'd have to find the two of them as a starting point to my memory analysis!

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 16
Another Sony PCDP user here (D-EJ1000). I brought mine mainly to use the optical out for my MiniDisc player that I don't really use anymore. Instead, now it becomes my source for auditioning. Really hoped to get the Panasonic SL-CT830 to replace it but never being able to convince myself it worthes the price in the DAP age
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 16
I've had 3 EJ-011's and I've been happy with them (apart from their relatively short life-span). One thing I've noticed: the sound quality with no Megabass enabled is quite thin. Megabass SND1 seems to bring the sound quality up to normal, and SND 2 gives a nice effect, especially with my MDR-SA1000's.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 16
I've had a Sony D-NE240 CD/MP3 player for about 15 months, but then, three months out of warranty, it died (funny, that!).
Anyway, I started searching on line for another CD/MP3 player to replace it (old technology now, but, ever hopeful ... ).
There are still a couple of well-known brand players around which say they can play MP3s -- Philips and Panasonic -- and some less well known.
I came across a few pages on the Sony D-EJ011, some of which stated that it had the capability to play MP3 files. I went to the Sony home page and posed the question to them, with no reply. Very helpful of them.
I'm banking on the correctness(?) of the online info as to its capability to play MP3s.
I went ahead and ordered the model above, based purely on the brand name; at least I should have a good CD player. Any MP3 stuff I have, I can play on a portable DVD player, which kind of defeats the original purpose.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 16
I've been looking for a pcdp for the kids as mp3 players seem over complicated for them. However a lot of pcdp don't have the best controls either.

Why do you want to use a cd player as a mp3 player?

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 16
Because a lot of the material I'm interested in (apart from converting music CDs or some movie soundtracks to MP3 files), comes on MP3 discs ... for instance, MP3 audiobooks from our local library, which can be copied and saved on either CD or memory cards and played back at leisure later.
A Walkman style CD/MP3 player comes in handy then.

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 16
This was available last year in Best Buy for around $49 and went in clearance for $35. I managed to get one and still haven't opened it. Don't think this is a great sounding player but since it was the last one sold in retailers I had to get it.

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #11 of 16
D-NE10 comes into mind. Probably the best super slim players and more versatile than EJ1000/2000. Even the looks of D-NE10 (silver finish) was truly eye catching.
Because a lot of the material I'm interested in (apart from converting music CDs or some movie soundtracks to MP3 files), comes on MP3 discs ... for instance, MP3 audiobooks from our local library, which can be copied and saved on either CD or memory cards and played back at leisure later.
A Walkman style CD/MP3 player comes in handy then.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 16
Hi all,
I looked up the ebay and saw some DEJs. I have the DNF610 readily available in my stash.

Just that want to make sure if the DEJ is better sounding than the DNF610 or vice versa.

(It is just me in the old times feeling envious of people with DEJ and feeling like owning 1 - now)

Would appreciate any inputs.

Cheers

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 16
Decided to dust off my old cd player! Matching quite well with my Sony MDR-z7m2!

I sold a CD player like that to a friend of mine, I wish I hadn't. He broke everything I sold him soon after. He was a cheapskate and offered $5 and I sold it to him for $15.

I wish I appreciated CD's more. They are still worthwhile in 2022.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 16
I just got this recently out of nostalgia but I'm pretty disappointed. The maximum volume is so soft it's just medium through headphones. If I use external speakers it's useless, barely even audible when set to maximum. AVLS is not switched on. (With AVLS it's barely audible even through a headset.) Is this just the player build or is mine failty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back