Sony D-EJ01
Dec 12, 2007 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Faust2D

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a nice deal on Sony D-EJ01 a few days back and decided to go for it. Gave it a listen with my ATH-SJ5 and ATH-EM7GM. Sounds very nice but not spectacular. Maybe slightly better than my Vibez or X5, but I think Vibez has more juice.

Now my question is how does it compare to the classic Sony CDPs like: D-555, D-25, D-303, D-515 and other models that are hot on head-fi?

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 12
I too thought the sound of my D-EJ01 was decent but not spectacular. When compared to my D-515 and D-303, I felt that the D-EJ01 didn't sound as smooth. Both D-515 and D-303 to my ears had a fuller sound and a better sense of depth than the D-EJ01.

When compared to my D-25, the D-25 has more slam than the D-EJ01. The D-25 had a more up front sound than the D-EJ01. Both didn't have the sense of depth like the D-515 and D-303.

When compared to my D-555, the D-EJ01 had a slightly smoother sound. The D-555 sounded rather flat, without adjusting it's eq. Even with eq adjusments on the D-555, it still sounded artificial. The D-555 is a overhyped vintage PCDP for the price it commands and isn't exactly a rare vintage PCDP.

Dec 12, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Although I was not flabbergasted with it's sound, I like D-EJ01 ability to provide layered soundstage and micro details, not on a level of the good full size CDP but still very impressive for a portable device. I have to try the optical out line one day to see how that sounds with my DACs.

Also it's has the best portability of any other vintage CDP so it seems that with sound just a bit inferior (or just different) to them you get a CDP that is light, does not skip and can run on batteries for 62 hours. So far I am happy.

Just for the record. I got it mainly to assist with my CD shopping. Lots of stores in NYC will let you listen to used CDs before you buy, that were a nice CDP comes in handy. As portable as it is, Vibez or X5 are just so much easier to carry around.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 12
this is one of the slot loading models? I think there was only two models made like this. I remember looking at these online when they were new but had long forgotten the model numbers.

I would be interested to know how it sounds with a DAC.

Sony has still not posted any high PCDP's on their site yet. I'm getting worried they may not..

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Faust2D is correct in that the only slot loading discman from Sony is the D-EJ01 designated for US and I think Japan. The European country model designation would be the D-E01. Both were built to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the Sony Discman.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a nice deal on Sony D-EJ01 a few days back and decided to go for it. Gave it a listen with my ATH-SJ5 and ATH-EM7GM. Sounds very nice but not spectacular. Maybe slightly better than my Vibez or X5, but I think Vibez has more juice.

Now my question is how does it compare to the classic Sony CDPs like: D-555, D-25, D-303, D-515 and other models that are hot on head-fi?

Just curious. How much did you have to pay for yours ?
One just sold on eBay UK for £100 plus shipping (I didn't win, I stopped bidding at £35).

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 12
EJ-01 - is that the 20th anniversary edition cd walkman? Anyhow, the sound quality was considered mediocre when it came out. I believe there was also the fiasco that not all ej-01s were built equally - some had a better output stage amp than others depending of country of origin and production run. On the plus side, i believe it comes with a digital out which most DAPs don't have. I also forgot if turning off the extra buffer protection still compresses the music or not.

Dec 16, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 12
There were two variations 15mW and 4.5mW output.

I heard some other CDPs and the sound quality is good in comparison and is very nice if you use line out.

It has mini-toslink out

You cannot turn off buffer protection there is no "extra"protection. This player used the new (at that time) G-Protections system, way better than ESP.

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EJ-01 - is that the 20th anniversary edition cd walkman?

No, the D-EJ01 was the 15th anniversary edition of the Sony Discman. Sony that year (1999) was also celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Walkman which was introduced in 1979. The first Discman (the D-5 or D-5A) was introduced in 1984.

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 12
I tried optical out and I like it a lot. As a transport this PCDP is very good. Very good thing is that it outputs constant signal and when you skip tracks my DAC does not un-lock. This was a bad problem with my Sumsung DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back