Sony D-E406-CK
post-171265
Post #1 of 2

dkm24

Head-Fier
Reaction score
I came to this forum a couple of months ago searching for an audiophile portable. I have purchased a couple of the players that were recommended here. My favorite is the D25-s from Silicon Salvage. I do want to say there seems to be at least one sleeper in the Sony group, maybe more. I have had a Sony D-E406-CK that I knew sounded nice, at least better than any of the new pcdp's but now since I have listened to the highly regarded stuff the 406 holds it's own against them. It can be had for mere pennies compared to the others. I have to wonder how many other older Sony's out there that are very unassuming that deliver the sound of the 406. doug

post-171404
Post #2 of 2

blr

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have heard several old(er) Sony PCDP and even own one and should say thet almost everything made before 1999 sounds better than everything made today. IMO back then as well as now Sony used identical or nearly identical electronics throughout their lines of players, in terms of DACs and headamps, which made them sound very similar. I mean, I havent been able to find any difference in sound between say EJ725 and 925. Same can be said about older models as well. Perhaps the only thing that makes some difference is the anti skip. With the older models, the first ones that had longer buffers tend to sound compressed with the ESP on, whether their cheaper siblings with 3-10 sec ESP sounded clearer due to the less compression.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)