Sony D-25S as main source?
Jul 4, 2002 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chewmanji

100+ Head-Fier
hey all,

in the near future i will most likely be ordering an HD600 and a Corda HA-1 from Meier, and i was wondering if the D-25S would do that system justice (i'll probably have to save up a while longer to upgrade source, then cables, etc.), or if i should hold off and upgrade my source first.

another thing, how do SR80's sound with the Corda? just wondering.

thanks.

chewmanji

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 10
I think it would sound fine. Right now, my main digital source is a D-25S untill I get my audio alchemy / art DI/O setup. I do think you would be better off getting a cd deck though. (despite what everyone says...HDCD is not worth the price difference, plust the pickings are slim with HDCD) I think it might be smart to go with an older sony ES deck...or if you have the money, go with the music hall cd player.

Jul 4, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 10
I used my Sony D25s with the Mg Head for a while and something was missing.
After I bought my NAD 541, a all new world of music was opened to me. There was a huge difference !!!

I think the Headphone out of the D25s is a lot better than its line out. And you'll probably won't get a lot of difference between it and a small Solid State amp.
I'm using the D25s at work with the HD580 plugged directly to the headphone out and I'm quite pleased (for a work place configuration).

I never heard the Corda with any configuration, but I'm sure a good CD deck will sound a lot better.

Jul 4, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 10
I second is2us for the point he made.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

I think the Headphone out of the D25s is a lot better than its line out. And you'll probably won't get a lot of difference between it and a small Solid State amp.

so are you saying that getting a Corda wouldn't make a whole lot of difference from the D-25S headphone out?

cuz i decided on the Corda because i didn't want to deal with the hassle of tube rolling an MG Head (plus i liked the crossfeed function).

what i might end up doing is getting the HD600 + Corda, then save up for a Nad 541 or something like that...my only problem is availability in Canada...

thanks for the replies people.

chewmanji.

Jul 5, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 10
damn i wish i was rich...right now, assuming i get the HD600 and Corda, and then a source, i'm looking at over $1000 CDN....takes me forever to make that much making $8.75 CDN /hr at 15 hours a week. ARGH.

sorry for the double post but i had to complain a bit....

Jul 5, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Maybe consider buying the HD580 (it will save you about US$100, and if you search enough on the net it can save you more) and save for a good source.
You can get a refurbished NAD 541 on Ebay for around US$300.
(Thats where I got mine).

Jul 5, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by chewmanji
in the near future i will most likely be ordering an HD600 and a Corda HA-1 from Meier, and i was wondering if the D-25S would do that system justice
chewmanji

I think the answer is that this system will give you a lot of listening pleasure. That being said, the Sony will not do the others justice in the sense that the Senn-Corda pair is capable of more.

I am surprised by the posts about the Sony's outputs. I was A/Bing the outputs just yesterday. While the D25s does indeed have an excellent and powerful headphone jack, I heard a definite improvement using the line out with a JMT CMOY and Senn 580s.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 10
Daycart1,

I think what is2us meant was that quality of line out, for its usage (to go to an amp), compared to headphone jack, also for its usage (to go directly to headphones).

Headphone jack of D25S is obviously the hottest compared to other PCDP. Relatively speaking, D25S has stronger signal from lineout than the SL-CT570, but 570 gives more cleaner and brighter sound.

D25S lineout apparently provides weaker signal with darker sound compared to AMC CD8B which I have. CD deck is obviously a step up. Before I got the AMC, D25s was my main source. D25s is worth every $ I paid.

By the way, I really enjoy the match between my D25s, using lineout, into my baby stax (SR-001Mk2). It's my portable and bedtime rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy listening

John

Jul 5, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #10 of 10
(This post is dedicated to Russ.)

I bought a D-25S and have since sold it. I consider it to be a weak source even so far as portables go. Its headphone out is higher voltage than modern portables and is the only reason to consider buying one--if a headphone amp is even remotely on your list, leave this outdated retro Sony fanboy collectible alone and buy something better to listen to.

If you need a portable, I like the Panasonic 570. It sucks less than most portables. That said, it still sucks compared to most home units.

I tend to advocate whatever player your can afford with a good clean digital coax out and an ART DI/O DAC. If you can't quite afford that, honestly, many of the newer DVD players have better redbook than CD players of only a couple of years ago. I'd probably go that route, myself.

...And to answer your question, the Corda HA-1 outclasses the D-25S in all respects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back