Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-F828
Mar 14, 2004 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

blux

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have one? Anyone thinking of buying one??

I am going on a cruise on the 20th, and I'm looking into getting a nice digicam.. I have a nice 35MM SLR minolta, but I need to step into the "real" digital age.. I have a digital camera now, its a "concord" EyeQue 3100 AF. Let me tell you, it completely sucks... Poor excuse for a camera on so many levels.

Let me know what you think of the F828 or any other cameras in its range (prosumer)..

thanks!!

by the way I plan on buying one of thoes MP3 players with the 4GB hitachi micro drive in it, taking it out, then using it in the camera..
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 23
Get a Canon Digital Rebel a nice lens of your choice/price.

Don't get the 828. It's image quality is not very good and since you can't change it's lens, that aspect can't be helped

Mar 14, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 23
What about the size? The Rebel is pretty big, as is the 828, but I think it has more features, like night shot, etc.

I was also looking at the new 8 megapixle Nikon. I like the build quality of the sony better. I really didnt handle the rebel much..

Eh... I have a lot of research to do, I leave the 20th!

Mar 14, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 23
Check out http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php for reviews of that Sony. It hasn't gotten very good marks at all.

You would be better off with the Digital Rebel (D300) from what I have read. The lens that is normally included with it is supposed to be pretty good too. You would probably be even better off with the new Nikon D70, but getting one by the 20th would probably be very difficult, if not impossible.

The way I understand it, the problem with those non-SLR digicams is their 8 megapixels are really small pixels, so they don't gather very much light, leading to very noisy pictures. With an SLR, the pixels are a lot larger, and a 6 mp D300 or D70 will take better pictures than an 8 mp all-in-one models.

BTW- I am researching cameras; I have no first hand knowledge or experience with them.
redface.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 23
The new Nikon 8700 is supposed to be exceptional in image quality and such. It also has a huge zoom lens on it, making it close to the Sony in reach.

Mar 14, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 23
Digital Rebel easily beats any prosumer camera out there in terms of image quality. They all take decent pictures in daylight but as soon as the lighting dims you'll see the large sensor of Digital Rebel showing its power. Not to mention that Rebel has a very little focusing lag time. On the otherhand prosumer cameras have more reach and the ability to record movies if those are important to you.

Mar 14, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 23
I was in the market for a digital camera till recently, but wanted to spend less than $500 on a prosumer unit. I found out that the Fuji S7000 (which got a so-so review on DCResource and a great review on Steve's digicam) was a good option. It seems to be a really nice little unit and with interlacing takes upto 12 MP images. It also can record 640x480 movies with sound as well as 2 flash memory options (xD and CFII). Based on user opinons on most sites it seems a good cheaper alternative to the Digital Rebel. The 828 is too expensive for what it offers, night-framing and laser focussing notwithstanding.

Mar 14, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 23
www.dpreview.com is also a good site.

Personally I'd go with a 'real' DSLR at a similar price, ideally the Nikon D70, or if not possible the Canon D300.

IMHO you get much more for your money with a DSLR - better image quality (lenses and sensor) and flexibility (availability of lenses etc).

Mar 16, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 23
I was looking at that Sony.
I got the impression that image quality was good. I read one review there on dpreview, and it seemed like a good one to me.
Buying a DSLR is way too expensive when you figure in the cost of lenses.

Mar 16, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by blux
.. I have a nice 35MM SLR minolta, but I need to step into the "real" digital age..

Use the Minolta and get a good film scanner.
Once it's scanned you are "digital".
wink.gif

Most current prosumer digicams only offer CCDs that are roughly APS sized.
A high quality scan of a 35mm neg or slide will give you better resolution.

Mar 16, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD

The list price for the Sony is $999, exactly the same as the Canon 300D kit including a lens.

The Nikon kit will be $1299 I think.

So it's not a bit price difference.

Granted the kits don't include telephoto lenses, but I'm sure you could get used lenses for the DLSRs without spending a fortune.

Mar 16, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 23
I got to use it recently and it's huge, which is a big deal with me but I realise with those avowedly semi-pro guys being seen with a big lens is part of the deal.

I'm not 100% sure about Sony's imaging techology. I bought a DSC-V1 and used this for a while, and also looking at the 828's printouts I'm not fully convinced that it takes better pictures (although obviously it is higher resolution) than the Canons I've used.

I'd say choose Canon.

Mar 16, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD

100% correct. To buy a 6+ MP DSLR and slap on consumer grade lenses is foolish. You will not get good results. I believe DPReview did some tests with a Canon using consumer grade lenses and the results were less than good. You're basically crippling the sensor with cheap glass and plastic that way. Your choice is to use a fixed focal length lenses. It's a cheaper alternative, but calls for moving around a lot to get the shot cropped correctly. Nikon -S series telephoto lenses are what you want for high quality cameras with high MP sensors.

If you can't afford the -S series lenses, then go with either the Sony 828 or the Nikon 8700. both have huge zooms and will give great results, but according to DPReview there are some issues with the quality of the shots from the Sony. The sensor is great, but the images it gives off are not as good as they could be.

Mar 16, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 23
Competition in 8-megapixel digital cameras from Japan heats up

Japan-based digital still camera (DSC) makers, Canon, Minolta, Nikon and Olympus, have all launched new 8-megapixel cameras following Sony’s November 2003 introduction of its CyberShot F282.

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ar...ages=A8&seq=51

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

100% correct. To buy a 6+ MP DSLR and slap on consumer grade lenses is foolish.

Both the Nikon D70 and the Canon Digital Rebel come in kits with lenses that are quite good (or alone with no lens). They aren't "L" or "S" glass, but as long as one knows what they are doing, I don't see any reason to think that they aren't as good or better than the lenses that come with most digicams. I've read several reviews of the Digital Rebel, and there haven't been any complaints about the lens. Plus, you have the added flexibility of being able to move up to nice glass, like Canon L and Nikon S, as well as long zoom lenses that are much better than anything found on the digicams. Considering the fact that you will have a lot less noise with an DSLR, I don't see any reason not to seriuosly consider one in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back