Sony CDP built in phone jack?
Aug 27, 2002 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
Well all Sony ES products have a phone jack but is it any good? Right now I have a DVP-S7000 and liked it stand alone but not as much as my Adcom GDA-700. But I was thinking of getting my hands on a Sony SCD-C333ES which is apparently something else and looks solid.

If anyone has access to a Sony ES series CDP, plug in and let me know what yuo think.

Solude

Aug 27, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 4
I have the Sony SCD-C333ES CDP and the headphone jack is decent; it's still anemic for senns, but it makes grados listenable.

Aug 27, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Jon you the man today
biggrin.gif
So the jack is out but how do you like the player so far? What readily available amps match well to it and the AKG or Senn keeping in mind my mostly rock with some heavy and some jazz tosses in for variety?

Solude

Aug 29, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 4
I'm going to get hell for this, but don't get AKG.

Ideally, get a Grado HP-1. Those are honestly good for everything, built like a rock, and tend to match well with any decent amp. Downside: spendy and hard to find.

Next, you'd have to choose between Alessandro-Grado Music Series Pro and Senn+cardas. The only phone that rocks more than a proper rig behind a senn+cardas is the HP-1, but some would like the MSP more; I dislike current Grados.

Good amps for any of the above phones is the Melos SHA-1, which is no longer in production, but readily available. There's always the Corda or the MOH depending on budget.

As far as a CDP goes, I like my 333ES. I paid $400 new, and I think you have to spend about $700 to get anything better. More, the 333es is a five CD changer and it supports SACD (don't forget that Sony is phasing out CD in favor of SACD!). Good warranty (5 years).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back