Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #2,266 of 2,538
This evening i noticed a significant channel imbalance had developed in my MH750s that i've basically been using 24/7 for the last six months. Figuring they'd passed into the great beyond where so many of my IEMs had gone to before i resigned to the idea that i'd have to bust out the back up pair i'd saved.

Before i did i gave them a once over and noticed the grills had some wax/dirt build up so set about scraping it off hoping that it was the cause but doubting it as the right bud had the most and was fine, the low volume bud being the cleaner left.

The grills didn't really clean so well, in fact they seemed to absorb the gunk as i tried to scrape it off and i decided to see how they sounded with the grills removed figuring i had nothing to lose and spare 4mm metal mesh i could replace them with....

Low and behold the imbalance went away, and the treble even opened up a bit with the new grills on... that veil in the upper mids and highs I've been referring to might have been ear wax... 🥴

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #2,267 of 2,538
Has anyone found a way to buy the tips that come with the MH750? I like the conical design and to me they sound the best. Also, if anyone has a tip with a similar design I'd like to know about them.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #2,269 of 2,538
So further to my grill change i'm noticing some hotness (distortion?) in the treble now. Any suggestions to tamp it down a bit? More foam in the nozzle? I have some stock bl-03 grills with the little foam backing on them. Will try those.
Resonances in IEMs are related to speaker driver design + users ear canal + front/back chamber dimensions.

Suggestions below from an expert advice I received years ago, but attempt at your own risk, bar none I would stick to stock as perfection is in the eye (Ear) of the beholder

1. Bass being muddy/exaggerated, try to block the vent, this is to reduce the bass ~2-3dB
2. To improve "airiness" remove foam from the tube. However, without foam, the smoothness of the treble will be affected.
3 Want more mids, make a small hole (~0.2mm diameter) in the center of the filter mesh, be careful not to oversize the hole.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #2,270 of 2,538
Resonances in IEMs are related to speaker driver design + users ear canal + front/back chamber dimensions.

Suggestions below from an expert advice I received years ago, but attempt at your own risk, bar none I would stick to stock as perfection is in the eye (Ear) of the beholder

1. Bass being muddy/exaggerated, try to block the vent, this is to reduce the bass ~2-3dB
2. To improve "airiness" remove foam from the tube. However, without foam, the smoothness of the treble will be affected.
3 Want more mids, make a small hole (~0.2mm diameter) in the center of the filter mesh, be careful not to oversize the hole.

Thanks, obviously the original mesh really did play a role in taming the treble as there is a metallic element in things like snares and voices now. I've changed the grills to the stock BL-03's and it's helped a little but not quite enough not to notice.

They remind me of the TRN-v90 a bit now, they also had a metallic element to the treble sometimes. Not as bad though and that said the extra airiness is nice. I'll have to do some more experiments.

Is there any mesh you know of that is similar to the stock stuff i could order?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2,271 of 2,538
Thanks, obviously the original mesh really did play a role in taming the treble as there is a metallic element in things like snares and voices now. I've changed the grills to the stock BL-03's and it's helped a little but not quite enough not to notice.

They remind me of the TRN-v90 a bit now, they also had a metallic element to the treble sometimes. Not as bad though and that said the extra airiness is nice. I'll have to do some more experiments.

Is there any mesh you know of that is similar to the stock stuff i could order?
In the past, I always stock up and use 3m micropore, due to it being an easy application and removal when needed, but years of moving away from the modding scene has made my supply redundant :)

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,273 of 2,538
Folks who can't source a genuine MH755/750 I'd suggest that you take a look at Moondrop Quarks.

Costs about the same and with appropriate tips like BGVP E01 they're as good as MH750. Only caveat is that Quarks are a bit light on bass but still a good purchase in this price segment.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,274 of 2,538
Folks who can't source a genuine MH755/750 I'd suggest that you take a look at Moondrop Quarks.

Costs about the same and with appropriate tips like BGVP E01 they're as good as MH750. Only caveat is that Quarks are a bit light on bass but still a good purchase in this price segment.

Do u find the 3 kHz area on the Quarks painful? It looks quite bad on graphs and I had a bad experience with their Moondrop SSR which had a similar 3 kHz middle finger.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #2,275 of 2,538

I disagree with this. The Quarks are actually lacking in technicalities and resolution over the MH755/750. Even with its tonality advantage in that regard....

Do u find the 3 kHz area on the Quarks painful? It looks quite bad on graphs and I had a bad experience with their Moondrop SSR which had a similar 3 kHz middle finger.
Its only slightly shouty to me, so I doubt it will be an issue for most people.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #2,276 of 2,538
As I mentioned during my initial impressions, I don't find that peak bothersome. But if folks are sensitive to that peak they might find it's a bit sharp. But with narrow bore tips, that peak is substantially managed. It's not that harsh TBH. But since my preferences are aligned more towards Asian curve of listening, folks from west might find it incorrect
I disagree with this. The Quarks are actually lacking in technicalities and resolution over the MH755/750. Even with its tonality advantage in that regard....
I'm not saying it's a category beater in anyway whatsoever. All I'm saying is that it presents a good alternative to MH series especially one factors in the challenges to get a genuine model. For $13 it's difficult to find a competent IEM these days, let it be DF neutral. I can understand from where you are coming as both of us have different preferences and listening habits. So I understand that Quarks will not appeal to you as much as it will appeal to someone who likes or wants to have a neutral sounding IEM for less than $20

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,277 of 2,538
I'm not saying it's a category beater in anyway whatsoever. All I'm saying is that it presents a good alternative to MH series especially one factors in the challenges to get a genuine model. For $13 it's difficult to find a competent IEM these days, let it be DF neutral. I can understand from where you are coming as both of us have different preferences and listening habits. So I understand that Quarks will not appeal to you as much as it will appeal to someone who likes or wants to have a neutral sounding IEM for less than $20
I wasnt referring to the tonality. The technicalites on it are a big step down from the MH750/755, that has nothing to do with my tonal preferences.

Tanya seems to be the better one if one wants to get something in that price range that isnt the MH750/755.

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #2,278 of 2,538
I wasnt referring to the tonality. The technicalites on it are a big step down from the MH750/755, that has nothing to do with my tonal preferences.

Tanya seems to be the better one if one wants to get something in that price range that isnt the MH750/755.
I partially agree with you. Technicalities are not class leading but they're not pathetic. Tanya costs 2x more than MH series. From price to performance ratio POV I feel Quarks is a better bet than MH750. But that's just my opinion.

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,279 of 2,538
Simple mod :)
DSC_7066~2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back