Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Aug 6, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,236 of 2,510
OK so I want to alleviate some people's fakeness concerns about genuine AG-0500-type 750s in particular, of which I got one just recently, same batch as another post some pages ago - 15w24, my local reseller probably stocked from that same offer. They have some differences to other mfg types that people hastily but understandably translate as red flags. They've already been mentioned, but I want to summarize.

MH750 type AG-0500 (mine are 2015):
- nozzle mesh is a dark ring with a light center dot as opposed to fully black on other types
- cable label (hey, that's fun to say - cable label, cable label) flap says - Made in [spaces] China.
(I don't know if all 0500s have the printing error though, and whether genuine non-0500s could also have had it)

I'm guessing some counterfeiters chose 0500s to copy from, hence the fake "0600"s that look like 0500 with the 5 weirdly filled in with extra ink (or distorted when they fail), most likely hoping to fool people that take a quick glance, and might have also copied over the Made in-spaces-China printing error seen on genuine units from '15 and prior if I remember correctly. Copied the 2 color nozzle mesh style as well I assume.

- (for all types with label flap?) the label-holding shiny loop has an oil spill type of gradient color effect between dark violet/purple and swampy dark yellow-green depending on viewing angle, and fit snug to the cable. A confirmed fake in this thread had a 1 color bright violet loop that was very loose.
- the burrito wrapper for the earphone for my particular unit had no Sony serial number sticker, dunno if supposed to, neither did the main packaging bag but I suspect the latter had been replaced by seller for storage purposes, it was a seal-strip bag with no markings and a local warehouse sticker, so that could also happen. Came with tips and a clip held in a shinier plastic baggy as expected.

Other distinctions of the real AG-0500 from the other types that I gathered from this thread: (haven't popped mine open since I have only one unit - for now, but I will eat my shoes with a side dish of shoelaces if such level of SQ comes from a fake)

- driver circuit board is not round, but a chunky X shape cut around the solder dots
- protruding plastic shapes within the back shell and no multiple-digit number carved on the inside - if I followed correctly, MH hoarders confirm :)

So by elimination, the remaining sure-fire red flags (I can think of) are: lack of solder dots, flap loop obviously not right, 2-color no hole mesh on any type other than 0500, type 0600 which doesn't exist, and SQ that is not immediately astonishing for the price.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #2,237 of 2,510
OK so I want to alleviate some fakeness concerns about genuine AG-0500-type 750s in particular, of which I got one just recently, same batch as another post some pages ago - 15w24, my local reseller probably stocked from that same offer. They have some differences to other mfg types that people hastily but understandably translate as red flags. They've already been mentioned, but I want to summarize.

MH750 type AG-0500 (mine are 2015):
- nozzle mesh is a dark ring with a light center dot as opposed to fully black on other types
- cable label (hey, that's fun to say - cable label, cable label) flap says - Made in [spaces] China.
(I don't know if all 0500s have the printing error though, and whether genuine non-0500s could also have had it)

I'm guessing some counterfeiters chose 0500s to copy from, hence the fake "0600"s that look like 0500 with the 5 weirdly filled in with extra ink (or distorted when they fail), most likely hoping to fool people that take a quick glance, and might have also copied over the Made in-spaces-China printing error seen on genuine units from '15 and prior if I remember correctly. Copied the 2 color nozzle mesh style as well I assume.

- (for all types with label flap?) the label-holding shiny loop has an oil spill type of gradient color effect between dark violet/purple and swampy dark yellow-green depending on viewing angle, and fit snug to the cable. A confirmed fake in this thread had a 1 color bright violet loop that was very loose.
- the burrito wrapper for the earphone for my particular unit had no Sony serial number sticker, dunno if supposed to, neither did the main packaging bag but I suspect the latter had been replaced by seller for storage purposes, it was a seal-strip bag with no markings and a local warehouse sticker, so that could also happen. Came with tips and a clip held in a shinier plastic baggy as expected.

Other distinctions of the real AG-0500 from the other types that I gathered from this thread: (haven't popped mine open since I have only one unit - for now, but I will eat my shoes with a side dish of shoelaces if such level of SQ comes from a fake)

- driver circuit board is not round, but a chunky X shape cut around the solder dots
- protruding plastic shapes within the back shell and no multiple-digit number carved on the inside - if I followed correctly, MH hoarders confirm :)

So by elimination, the remaining sure-fire red flags (I can think of) are: lack of solder dots, flap loop obviously not right, 2-color no hole mesh on any type other than 0500, type 0600 which doesn't exist, and SQ that is not immediately astonishing for the price.
after reading your body of text, it seems yours are genuine, but 2 sure-fire way to tell is to listen to them or open up the shell to check for the 2 x solder dots( will only take a few seconds with a needle or ends of a safety pin )

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #2,238 of 2,510
after reading your body of text, it seems yours are genuine, but 2 sure-fire way to tell is to listen to them or open up the shell to check for the 2 x solder dots( will only take a few seconds with a needle or ends of a safety pin )
I'm sorry I worded my opening sentence kinda poorly and I will edit it. My post was not intended to verify if mine are real, which they quin-frickin-tillion percent are. It was to list the differences of the AG-0500 to the other mfg types, which also happen to coincide with how some fakes are made, and might jumpscare new owners or dissuade someone from ordering a perfectly fine pair, thinking the variations in manufacturing are indications of a fake.

I can see that the opening and checking is the surest way of all. Also when I think about it, in a few cases only listening might not be sufficient - when the user doesn't think they have much of a trained ear and isn't sure what these are expected to sound like and/or has no point of reference. For me it's beyond a shadow of a doubt that I got real ones and even a small risk of damaging them is not justified, until I get more pairs at least. These bad boys' sound make me not miss my recently failed 1more triples at all, of course some technical abilities of the sonys are not quiiiite to the same level but close anyway, and many are straight better. Dare I say overall 750s got 3ples beat, without even regarding the x10+ price difference. (edit: ok I might have been a bit too overhyped, brain finding more flaws with time, but what I can say for sure they do smoke em in the high mids/lower highs "presence" region, which granted is one of the 3ples biggest weaknesses, it made the sonys immediately more impressive in terms of airiness and clarity)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #2,239 of 2,510
Hey everyone, I tried to mod my mh755 with mmcx connectors today, it is a pretty sloppy job. I had to resoldered them a few times but in the end, I still got no sound at all...I read that its possible to overheat the drivers and break them but is it possible that I might have overheat the mmcx connector and broke them? I wasn't touching the solders on the drivers but I did spent a lot of time solder it onto the mmcx.

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #2,242 of 2,510
Oh you can not tell by the links ! As far as I know, the most offers of aliexpress are fakes, but never ordered one there by myself.

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,243 of 2,510
Oh you can not tell by the links ! As far as I know, the most offers of aliexpress are fakes, but never ordered one there by myself.
Alas, I was hoping it would be possible :joy:

I don't think I'll have to open them up to determine their worth (have owned both the 650ap and 750ap before), but it would be gladdening to not have to buy from half the 750 listings on these online retailers lol

The one listed by Amazon should be legitimate right? It is priced higher though and shipping is another extra 50% of the increased price

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #2,244 of 2,510
Alas, I was hoping it would be possible :joy:

I don't think I'll have to open them up to determine their worth (have owned both the 650ap and 750ap before), but it would be gladdening to not have to buy from half the 750 listings on these online retailers lol

The one listed by Amazon should be legitimate right? It is priced higher though and shipping is another extra 50% of the increased price
The best advice I can give: buy a WHITE one, the most fakes are black. So with a white one you take a lower risk.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #2,245 of 2,510
Or get an mmcx modded one from eBay while they last. MH750, 755 and MH1. Great work. For me MH1 is superior in all fronts.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #2,246 of 2,510
For anyone worried about checking the drivers, the housings just snap together--they're not glued, and there's a little gap on the opposite site of where the plug connects. A pen point or eyeglasses screwdriver is all you need to pry them open.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #2,247 of 2,510
Go for SBH24 you will get a combo with MH755 for $25. Sureshot way of getting a genuine MH755.

Or one eBay seller still has genuine MH750. I bought from them and mine are genuine. And there's one guy who also sells modded MH750 and MH1. I bought MH1 from him and they're nice as well. Overall better quality and SQ than MH750.

Aug 24, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,249 of 2,510
Is it true that MH755 and MH750 have the same frequency response when both are center vent models?
graph - 2021-08-24T221121.090.png

graph - 2021-08-24T221135.153.png

Aug 24, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #2,250 of 2,510
Is it true that MH755 and MH750 have the same frequency response when both are center vent models?
crinacle made a mistake in 2019

MH750 = MH755

Both share a carbon copy /exact same drivers, the division was caused by manufactured year variations.

Myth-Busting Facts :

1. MH750/755 shares the same drivers
2. Only differences are the thin short or longer thicker cable with Mic variants
3. 2 different H/W variants verified through the years

2013/14 - Side Vent Drivers
2015-2020 - Newer Centre Vent Drivers

Both versions can be identified as genuine with Sony's trademarked 2 x Solder Dots

An Extremely rare side vent MH750 mfg 2014 was found with a Sony Xperia Z3-- Yes Side Vent Drivers are not exclusive to only the short cabled MH755..as Sony uses the same exact drivers with the MH750 too

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back