Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Aug 15, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #466 of 2,533
What tips are you using? Thanks
Those are Spinfit CP100. I've tried Acoustune 07, Final and Spiral dots. Spiral dots gave the best sound performance but the nozzles of the MH755 are just too short to get a secure fit with Spiral dots. Final was a no, they amplified the bass response to the point it masked everything else. Acoustune on the other hand helped the treble out a little bit which was fine by me but then I just couldn't get a good fit with them on my left ear.
So, at the end of the day I'm just settled with the CP100.

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #468 of 2,533
Those are Spinfit CP100. I've tried Acoustune 07, Final and Spiral dots. Spiral dots gave the best sound performance but the nozzles of the MH755 are just too short to get a secure fit with Spiral dots. Final was a no, they amplified the bass response to the point it masked everything else. Acoustune on the other hand helped the treble out a little bit which was fine by me but then I just couldn't get a good fit with them on my left ear.
So, at the end of the day I'm just settled with the CP100.

have you try Symbio peels?

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #472 of 2,533
I don’t see much online about the Sony MH410c earbud, so I suppose this is as good a place as any for this post.

Tyll Hertsens wrote back in 2011 that “pretty much all earbuds suck.” As a group, they consistently have the most anemic bass and the worst distortion. Measurements of earbuds back this up. Tyll’s 2011 article actually concluded that the original Apple earbuds were the best of a bad lot.

Things have changed since 2011, but maybe only a little bit. The Earpods came out in 2012, and despite all the vitriol from the haters, it actually has some sophisticated acoustic engineering behind its design. It sucks much less than the category average.

To some degree, I think the same can be said about the unremarkable Sony MH410c, provided that you supply your own earbud foam covers. Speakerphone published detailed measurements of the MH410c over at Clarityfidelity. In short, it has no bass, and lots of distortion—i.e., yucky just like other earbuds. The page has other interesting tidbits, like screenshots of a Walkman app for the Sony Xperia Z3, with preset EQ settings for the MH1c, MH750, and MH410. There's even a measurement of the MH410c frequency response with this app's EQ.

What wasn’t measured is the effect of earbud foam covers. It makes sense. The pair I ordered from Amazon didn’t come with them either. The sound was indeed thin. But an earbud foam cover does two things: 1) It helps earbuds get into a better position closer to the ear canal’s opening. This coupling increases the response in the bass. 2) Earbud foam can act as an acoustic damper. Often, it reduces the severity of resonant peaks in the treble.

I used an attachment that came with my couplers to make the next measurement. It’s not a pinna simulator, so the result isn’t directly comparable to the ones at Clarityfidelity. The result, however, matches what I’m hearing from the MH410c.

Sony MH410c with earbud foam covers.png

Sony MH410c frequency response with earbud foam covers. Measurement repeated after reseat for each channel.
Light gray: VE Monk Plus frequency response.​

I suppose it’s not too bad for an earbud. To my ears, it sounds much better than the hyped VE Monk Plus, but that’s not really saying much. I’ve read that the original Monk was way better. My three pairs of Monk Plus all have a very prominent peak at 2 kHz. It’s too tall and it's in the wrong place. It makes vocals sound too much in your face. It obscures the other parts of the mix and makes the presentation sound even more bass-light than it already is.

The Sony isn’t as bad. The frequency response is closer to textbook. Vocals have better tone, and they play nicer with the rest of the mix. The earbud foam seems to have reduced the level of the 6 kHz peak, compared to Speakerphone’s measurement. Comparing the earbuds with speakers and a pair of HD600 made it clear that the Monk Plus is the one that is off. The MH410c sounded much more similar, with a frequency balance in the same ballpark. Switching to it from my speakers or my other headphones isn’t too jarring. But maybe that’s just me and my peculiar way of hearing things. YMMV.

So there you have it. Earbuds suck. Earbud foam makes them suck less. Even less so on these Sony MH410c.

Sony MH410c and VE Monk Plus.jpeg

Sony MH410c and VE Monk Plus​

About the microphone: When I recorded my voice using the MH410c, the result didn’t sound noticeably worse than with the Earpods, which have good mics.
About the cable: Yes, it's a J cable like on the MH750. It's not as short as the one on the MH755.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #474 of 2,533
I have had no problems with the white MH755s...They are all authentic. I have all of the colors of tips. Three different sellers. The yellow and one of my pinks are from Australia. One pink from China. The rest of them are from a UK seller (but probably based out of China)... a few orange and a few green.

Here are my favorites... all re-cabled by @HungryPanda

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but who does your re-cabling? It looks very nice.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #475 of 2,533
Aug 21, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #476 of 2,533
all re-cabled by @HungryPanda :)

He lives in my house. I have exclusive "rights" to his skills... lol.

Wow I'm so envious of you having free recabling DIY services round the clock.
And you guys can also just buy one IEM/headphone at a time to save money instead of buying separate gear!

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #477 of 2,533
Had a delivery of some more MH755 today from macpart168 on ebay. A green, yellow and orange set.

One of them (green tips) arrived in a bag without any branding/stickers at all, the other 2 had the usual packaging with the date of manufacture etc. Upon listening all sound legit.

I cracked open the green tip version and checked the insides, they come apart very easily and damn the cables inside are so small!

I will most likely keep them as spares for now, maybe mess with them as a project down the road if/when I get a soldering iron.

So far both macpart168 and kanoya appear to be selling legit stuff, both arrived quite quickly to the UK (within 7 days).

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #479 of 2,533
I highly recommend you guys try out the AKG Samsung iem that comes with Galaxy phones. Model # EO-IG955

This is another star, and I think it's technically better as well.

This store sells the genuine ones. (for @mbwilson111 too!) https://www.ebay.com/usr/webbuysource?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

If you drive these iems hard enough, they will sound really good.
Wonder if this is legit? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_5,searchweb201603_52

Want to try it out, compare with MH-755 and do measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back