Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Feb 18, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #77 of 2,539
Feb 18, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #78 of 2,539
Depends also on persons hearing and sensitivity ti treble. While I really like how it sounds without foam filtering, it is tad too "brightish" for my hearing.

True. I like a bit more treble energy.

I will say the stock nylon filter is required to be present, and it must be stuck down completely. Because without the stock filter, it’s too harsh.

When lifting the filter up to remove the foam, it’s possible to accidentally not stick it back down completely around the whole circumference. If it is not all the way stuck down in 1 section, the sound will slip by in that spot and it will add a bit of harshness.

As far as variability from pair to pair, remember @mbwilson111 did the exact mod to 2 pairs and 1 was harsh and the other was awesome. And her ears nor sensitivity to treble didn’t change - it was just a difference of manufacturing variability.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #79 of 2,539
As far as variability from pair to pair, remember @mbwilson111 did the exact mod to 2 pairs and 1 was harsh and the other was awesome. And her ears nor sensitivity to treble didn’t change - it was just a difference of manufacturing variability.

Give credit to @HungryPanda for actually doing the mod. But I did listen to both and because there was very little passage of time, my ears and sensitivity likely did not change:)

I think the key was that each had slightly different amounts of foam. Also they were from different batches...could drivers vary slightly? Plus both have been recabled - with different cables. I am not sure what the specs are on the cables we used. Mine was originally for a headphone with 2.5mm connections. I had been disappointed in how thin the cable was (for a full sized headphone) and had never used it. Cut the connectors off.

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #81 of 2,539
Feb 22, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #83 of 2,539
CNSlW2J

FqASoAIl.jpg

Is this a genuine pair? I didn't think the bag would have anything important so I threw it away. It does however have 2/3 of the same number with 13(W)27 and 1327 in the serial number. Good thing I kept the tag on the wire

As for weight, I don't have any means to accurately measure it. Using a dingy scale, it measured in at ~0.4 ounces. Putting a penny(0.088 ounces) along with it on the scale put it at 0.5 ounces, so I'd estimate its around 11 grams? This was measured with the stock turquoise tips on

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #84 of 2,539
CNSlW2J

FqASoAIl.jpg

Is this a genuine pair? I didn't think the bag would have anything important so I threw it away. It does however have 2/3 of the same number with 13(W)27 and 1327 in the serial number. Good thing I kept the tag on the wire

As for weight, I don't have any means to accurately measure it. Using a dingy scale, it measured in at ~0.4 ounces. Putting a penny(0.088 ounces) along with it on the scale put it at 0.5 ounces, so I'd estimate its around 11 grams? This was measured with the stock turquoise tips on
I have the 1326 batch and they should be legit, so i am guessing urs is one batch later.

Where did u get it from anw? Perhaps it will help if someone have gotten it from the same store.

Feb 22, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #85 of 2,539
CNSlW2J

FqASoAIl.jpg

Here’s a tip on the weight, if you walk into any jewelry store, coin shop, or any store that “buys gold or silver”, they will have a super accurate digital scale. They will weigh it for you for free (it literally takes 2 seconds). Ask them to weigh it in grams (with stock tips on).

Getting an accurate weight is one of the best ways to detect a fake (other than opening a shell up and examining the driver of course).

So it’s up to you what you want to do: check the weight or pop it open and look at the driver. The shell pops right apart if you separate it at the bass vent hole on the top of the shell.

For the driver test, the easiest way to tell is to look for 2 small round solder dots on the circuit board. This is an odd and unique feature I’ve never seen on an IEM driver before. So it’s a dead giveaway to a genuine driver.

You can see the 2 round solder dots in this photo:
C5C45316-8749-46D2-985D-94851B214800.jpeg

The fake drivers have no such dots:
5EE49E50-A269-493E-87CE-6E84D6B60B0B.jpeg

The vent tuning paper (black fabric with the white oval hole in the center) is also different. On the genuine Sony driver, the tuning paper is ridiculously long (covering exactly 1/4 of the driver’s circumference). This is another oddity that’s unique to the Sony drivers. Most IEM drivers look like the fake one, which have a very short tuning paper.

So there you go. Between the tuning paper, 2 round solder dots, and an accurate weight, you can easily identify a genuine from a fake.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #86 of 2,539
IMG_20190225_182716.jpg
Though the stock tips are good enough, i kind of like the wide bores and i enlarged the nozzle with some blue tac. Now they sound fantastic! Idk but i find the trebles to sound smoother (perhaps more space to push through xD) as it was a tad bright after removing the foams under the mesh.

Idk the science behind the bore size as i feel wider bores reduces bass and increase trebles, but narrow bores increases bass and sibilance. Either way the stock tips wont go to waste (actually i lost one side when i was out the other day, dang) as they are fantastic on the CCA C10, TRN IM1 (L) and KZ ED9 to name a few.

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #87 of 2,539
received genuine white (orange tips) mh755, from https://www.ebay.es/itm/Genuine-Ear...-SBH50-Bluetooth-Xperia-Z2-Z3-Z4/163061670685 (macpart168)
the difference of sound compared to the fake ones is notable (night and day). fake sounds too dark and muddy.
signature/tonality is very good. bass is powerful, i thought they would be flatter, but i don't mind to get such sub-bass. will measure them as soon as i can, before playing with foam and recabling.
true budget gem..

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #88 of 2,539

Though the stock tips are good enough, i kind of like the wide bores and i enlarged the nozzle with some blue tac. Now they sound fantastic! Idk but i find the trebles to sound smoother (perhaps more space to push through xD) as it was a tad bright after removing the foams under the mesh.

Idk the science behind the bore size as i feel wider bores reduces bass and increase trebles, but narrow bores increases bass and sibilance. Either way the stock tips wont go to waste (actually i lost one side when i was out the other day, dang) as they are fantastic on the CCA C10, TRN IM1 (L) and KZ ED9 to name a few.

Yeah small bores like releasing huge amount of bass and treble inside then pushing altogether from that narrow bore, bass can be too much resonance sometimes, wide bore reducing bass but make it more a bit tight, clear mids and reduce sibilance. For mid bass bleed or too much bass iems wide bore tips are good.

received genuine white (orange tips) mh755, from https://www.ebay.es/itm/Genuine-Ear...-SBH50-Bluetooth-Xperia-Z2-Z3-Z4/163061670685 (macpart168)
the difference of sound compared to the fake ones is notable (night and day). fake sounds too dark and muddy.
signature/tonality is very good. bass is powerful, i thought they would be flatter, but i don't mind to get such sub-bass. will measure them as soon as i can, before playing with foam and recabling.
true budget gem..

do you have fake and genuine MH755 together right now? can you compare the eartips than came with them? do they feels the same, use same material, or the counterfeit ones are in lower quality?

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #89 of 2,539
Do you have fake and genuine MH755 together right now? can you compare the eartips than came with them? do they feels the same, use same material, or the counterfeit ones are in lower quality?

I would like to know this as well!! Thanks @hazuken!

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #90 of 2,539
I would like to know this as well!! Thanks @hazuken!

yeahh.. sorry @Slater i didnt buy that counterfeit one yesterday, because i found great fit using Radius deep mount, you should try this if MH tips suits you well, i guess its not for everyone because of that unique shapes. But still i want to know the fake tips from fake MH755 (i wont gamble it even its cheap, too many eartips junks here :frowning2: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back