Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Feb 13, 2019 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,516

Slater

Headphoneus Supremus
This thread is for fans of Sony's budget earphones.

Many are included/bundled ‘free’ with Sony MP3 players, Bluetooth receivers, Xperia phones, etc. But they can also be bought by themselves. They include earphones such as MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, HPM78, etc.

If there’s any others we should know about, feel free to share a rec if they’re worth checking out.

There's no price limit or cut off per se, but this thread is not intended for inclusion of high end models like EX800, EX1000. I’d say <$50 is a good target.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss them in general, how to avoid fakes/counterfeits, performance mods, etc.

So welcome, and enjoy!

BTW, if you are looking for information about recabling or conversion to mmcx, follow this link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...5-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/page-23#post-15056523

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 2,516
Nice.. been waiting for this! I got MH750 and MH755 right now, had EX300 long time ago, but i lost it somewhere cant remember, its more than 15 years ago

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 2,516
Nice.. been waiting for this! I got MH750 and MH755 right now, had EX300 long time ago, but i lost it somewhere cant remember, its more than 15 years ago

Do you remember how it sounded? I know you can remember accurately only to a certain point (after 15 years)...

I was eyeing the EX300 last night, but I didn’t order it because I’m afraid I’ll end up with a fake. They seem like a budget EX1000.

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 2,516
Feb 13, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 2,516
I was going to post this in the sub 100 thread, but what do you think and the TRN V60 as another shell option? Just remove the 2 screws and then use a razor blade to pry it open along the seam. I was hoping the screwed in back would give me easy access but it was still easy to pry open. I prefer the fit of the V60 over the ZS series.

There is a BA in the nozzle and some supports to keep the BA centered that may or may not need to be removed. Other good news is the nozzle diameter is the same between the MH755 and V60 so the black mesh will fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 2,516
I have the MH1C I need to recable as well, its tuned more diffuse field with bass boost vs the MH755 Harman with bass boost. The MH755 is more lively sounding since it has more treble in the presence/sparkle region.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 2,516
Do you remember how it sounded? I know you can remember accurately only to a certain point (after 15 years)...

I was eyeing the EX300 last night, but I didn’t order it because I’m afraid I’ll end up with a fake. They seem like a budget EX1000.

about EX300? from distance memory, they have great bass, not muddy, and 1 point for sure : soundstage and air. They have 13.5 mm DD. but if compared to EX1000, still far away unfortunately (in all technical abilities).
I dont remember about detail wise but at that time, this EX300 was pretty good. And I lost it because i think I THREW THEM AWAY or maybe somewhere with the dust, but for sure I broke the cable on 1 side (1 of my knee was accidentally on top of 1 cable, and my right hand pulling the cable, and that time my stupid brain was telling me that broken cable = broken earphone. The cable was more fragile than MH755)

but be careful there is A LOT, like A LOOOTTT fake EX300 everywhere.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 2,516
I was going to post this in the sub 100 thread, but what do you think and the TRN V60 as another shell option? Just remove the 2 screws and then use a razor blade to pry it open along the seam. I was hoping the screwed in back would give me easy access but it was still easy to pry open. I prefer the fit of the V60 over the ZS series.

There is a BA in the nozzle and some supports to keep the BA centered that may or may not need to be removed. Other good news is the nozzle diameter is the same between the MH755 and V60 so the black mesh will fit perfectly.

You’d have to check the stock driver size of the v60. The mh755 driver is 9mm.

I usually check the Aliexpress listings to see if they mention the driver size. If it doesn’t, I check both phonograph or audiobudget as they usually list it. Or you could just open the back cover and measure directly.

If the v80 is 9mm-10mm, it would work (10mm would require an adapter ring or a buildup of extra glue).

ZSN could be another good option, as it has easy access to rear cover. The nozzle is larger though (which could be a good thing).

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 2,516
I have the MH1C I need to recable as well, its tuned more diffuse field with bass boost vs the MH755 Harman with bass boost. The MH755 is more lively sounding since it has more treble in the presence/sparkle region.

Is that the model that sounds better when you press a remote button (I don’t know which button; maybe the live button)? It changes something about impedance. Some users either pair it with an impedance adapter, while others permanently glue the button into position or rig it with a paper clip.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 2,516
You’d have to check the stock driver size of the v60. The mh755 driver is 9mm.

I usually check the Aliexpress listings to see if they mention the driver size. If it doesn’t, I check both phonograph or audiobudget as they usually list it. Or you could just open the back cover and measure directly.

If the v80 is 9mm-10mm, it would work (10mm would require an adapter ring or a buildup of extra glue).

ZSN could be another good option, as it has easy access to rear cover. The nozzle is larger though (which could be a good thing).

V60 is 10mm, I forgot to mention that. I was going to fill in the gap with silly putty, blue tac or rubber cement.

The other good thing about V60 is the nozzle is the exact same diameter so the black mesh will fit perfect. I am halfway there, already tore down the V60, just waiting for another set to show up today. I will provide some measurements to see how it compares the original.

Is that the model that sounds better when you press a remote button (I don’t know which button; maybe the live button)? It changes something about impedance. Some users either pair it with an impedance adapter, while others permanently glue the button into position or rig it with a paper clip.

The C version was a CTIA standard plug vs the OMTP MH1 if I recall, I did not know about the remote button thing. Where did you read that, now I am curious. The cable is really horrible though, so if I recable and that function existed it would be gone after a recable (i.e. no more magic button).
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-sony-mh1-–-the-best-kept-secret.632892/

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 2,516
20190213_192025[1].jpg

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 2,516

Users who are viewing this thread

Back