Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Jul 20, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #829 of 1,526
No idea what those are, but I would be curious to find out more (?)

George, don't waste your time. I give much credit to the Beats line for making headphones SUPER popular..........more than they ever were in the past. But they are overpriced (Beats Pro are like $400) and the quality doesn't match what headphones half their price can do. They also are well-known for being overly bassy and I've even talked to one person at some store who said his Beats' bass gets distorted when he puts the volume up. No thanks. lol A close friend of mine has several Beats and he even told me not too long ago that he feels they are too bassy too. Though the guy who created them, famous rapper and producer Dr. Dre, is a true legend in rap music. His album, The Chronic, was like the biggest rap album ever when it came out some 25 years ago, and well-regarded for its production quality (which Dre also oversaw). The rapper Snoop Dogg appeared on that album, and used it to start his own very successful solo career.

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #830 of 1,526
George, don't waste your time. I give much credit to the Beats line for making headphones SUPER popular..........more than they ever were in the past. But they are overpriced (Beats Pro are like $400) and the quality doesn't match what headphones half their price can do. They also are well-known for being overly bassy and I've even talked to one person at some store who said his Beats' bass gets distorted when he puts the volume up. No thanks. lol A close friend of mine has several Beats and he even told me not too long ago that he feels they are too bassy too. Though the guy who created them, famous rapper and producer Dr. Dre, is a true legend in rap music. His album, The Chronic, was like the biggest rap album ever when it came out some 25 years ago, and well-regarded for its production quality (which Dre also oversaw). The rapper Snoop Dogg appeared on that album, and used it to start his own very successful solo career.

Oh... I thought from the links that the conversation was about some graphene headphones that might have came with an interesting technology.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #833 of 1,526
What do you guys think about these new wireless ones from Audio-Technica? I'm not a big fan of them, but these are well-reviewed and this new Pure Digital Drive technology sounds interesting. Instead of converting digital sound to Audio at the source via DAC, the DAC is bypassed completely until it reaches the headphones, and then it's converted to analog at the last second, which is why the sound is better/clearer. It's not cheap ($549 on Amazon), and the body is mostly plastic (though looks nice), but it does sound interesting and the sound quality based on a few reviews say it's excellent. The wired option is only for connecting to a PC, but maybe that's ok? George, aertus, akg fanboy, etc, let's hear it!

http://majorhifi.com/wireless-headphone-audio-technica-ath-dsr9bt-review/

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #834 of 1,526
What do you guys think about these new wireless ones from Audio-Technica? I'm not a big fan of them, but these are well-reviewed and this new Pure Digital Drive technology sounds interesting. Instead of converting digital sound to Audio at the source via DAC, the DAC is bypassed completely until it reaches the headphones, and then it's converted to analog at the last second, which is why the sound is better/clearer. It's not cheap ($549 on Amazon), and the body is mostly plastic (though looks nice), but it does sound interesting and the sound quality based on a few reviews say it's excellent. The wired option is only for connecting to a PC, but maybe that's ok? George, aertus, akg fanboy, etc, let's hear it!

http://majorhifi.com/wireless-headphone-audio-technica-ath-dsr9bt-review/

I've no idea, they might be interesting!

At the moment I was looking into some Wireless headphones that promise to even add a step of remastering to music, never heard them, but might be interesting as well https://www.remasteringmusic.com

In fact, I am not even 100% if those are wireless or just have an interesting tech for remastering, but call me curious about them

For the Audio Tehnica above, I don't see anything inherently wrong with it, but I was not happy with ATH m50 one bit, so if they follow that sound then it is a no for me. I did like Audio Tehnica A700X and A900X though, so it really depends on which signature they are going for.

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #835 of 1,526
I've no idea, they might be interesting!

At the moment I was looking into some Wireless headphones that promise to even add a step of remastering to music, never heard them, but might be interesting as well https://www.remasteringmusic.com

In fact, I am not even 100% if those are wireless or just have an interesting tech for remastering, but call me curious about them

For the Audio Tehnica above, I don't see anything inherently wrong with it, but I was not happy with ATH m50 one bit, so if they follow that sound then it is a no for me. I did like Audio Tehnica A700X and A900X though, so it really depends on which signature they are going for.

My issue with these AT ones specifically is that I don't understand how they're actually any different than other BT headphones. They too take a digital signal which is BYPASSED by the source device since it needs to remain digital to be transferred via BT, and then the headphones receive the digital signal and have an on-board DAC which converts it into audio. So how are these any different? Yet AT makes it seem like they are. Just because it happens perhaps LATER than usual doesn't or shouldn't make any difference as far as I know. Yet a guy on YouTube I talked to said he talked to AT directly and they explicitly said there's NO DAC. Something isn't right here. lol

I'd pass on those remastering headphones George. My issue with them is the same issue with how Hi-Res is marketed. From my own research and experiences, despite what SOME ppl on here and other places may say or swear to believe, the higher resolution really has NOTHING to do with why Hi-Res (or even CD-Quality) music sounds better. Essentially, as long as it's ABOVE mp3 quality (which includes mp4/AAC, or next gen mp3, and the AAC is at 256 kbps or better), the sound quality will sound the same. The REAL reason why Hi-Res sounds so great is that the studios use SUPERIOR-SOUNDING MASTERS (or remasters) for these releases than they do for CD and ESPECIALLY mp3 releases. So that is why I'd never get these remastering headphones, because all they're doing is upscaling downscaled music. That's actually bad because if you are listening to a format of music in mp3 or mp4/AAC (aka lossy), they say that further conversions can introduce mild amounts of distortion (it's only when you convert lossless tracks like FLAC or ALAC that this doesn't happen). So increasing the resolution won't do ANYTHING for your music..............the master there is the master you hear. It can't get any better, it can only get worse, like if you downscale it to like 128 kbps mp3 (or lower). These remastering headphones are just "guessing" how the music would sound if it were mastered better (aka, the same tech you see in any phone or DAP that upscales, like the Sony ones). So I say, save your money for something better. I downscale ALL my Hi-Res and CD-Quality songs to like 512 kbps AAC (CBR), and it sounds the same. EXACTLY the same. And it frees up A TON of space on my cloud storage as well as my playing devices/phones. The smaller size also means less battery power is required to play them vs. larger 24/96 Hi-Res tracks, etc. It took me a WHILE to come to that realization.........but come to it I did. lol

Yeah I'm definitely with you on the M50x. Out of all the headphones I've ever tried, they were the WORST by far. They had the soundstage of a small closet. lol But I have heard good things about their more expensive models, so it is possible these are as good as the reviews say they are. There's also a cheaper version with the same Pure Digital Drive tech on it as well.

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #836 of 1,526
My issue with these AT ones specifically is that I don't understand how they're actually any different than other BT headphones. They too take a digital signal which is BYPASSED by the source device since it needs to remain digital to be transferred via BT, and then the headphones receive the digital signal and have an on-board DAC which converts it into audio. So how are these any different? Yet AT makes it seem like they are. Just because it happens perhaps LATER than usual doesn't or shouldn't make any difference as far as I know. Yet a guy on YouTube I talked to said he talked to AT directly and they explicitly said there's NO DAC. Something isn't right here. lol

I'd pass on those remastering headphones George. My issue with them is the same issue with how Hi-Res is marketed. From my own research and experiences, despite what SOME ppl on here and other places may say or swear to believe, the higher resolution really has NOTHING to do with why Hi-Res (or even CD-Quality) music sounds better. Essentially, as long as it's ABOVE mp3 quality (which includes mp4/AAC, or next gen mp3, and the AAC is at 256 kbps or better), the sound quality will sound the same. The REAL reason why Hi-Res sounds so great is that the studios use SUPERIOR-SOUNDING MASTERS (or remasters) for these releases than they do for CD and ESPECIALLY mp3 releases. So that is why I'd never get these remastering headphones, because all they're doing is upscaling downscaled music. That's actually bad because if you are listening to a format of music in mp3 or mp4/AAC (aka lossy), they say that further conversions can introduce mild amounts of distortion (it's only when you convert lossless tracks like FLAC or ALAC that this doesn't happen). So increasing the resolution won't do ANYTHING for your music..............the master there is the master you hear. It can't get any better, it can only get worse, like if you downscale it to like 128 kbps mp3 (or lower). These remastering headphones are just "guessing" how the music would sound if it were mastered better (aka, the same tech you see in any phone or DAP that upscales, like the Sony ones). So I say, save your money for something better. I downscale ALL my Hi-Res and CD-Quality songs to like 512 kbps AAC (CBR), and it sounds the same. EXACTLY the same. And it frees up A TON of space on my cloud storage as well as my playing devices/phones. The smaller size also means less battery power is required to play them vs. larger 24/96 Hi-Res tracks, etc. It took me a WHILE to come to that realization.........but come to it I did. lol

Yeah I'm definitely with you on the M50x. Out of all the headphones I've ever tried, they were the WORST by far. They had the soundstage of a small closet. lol But I have heard good things about their more expensive models, so it is possible these are as good as the reviews say they are. There's also a cheaper version with the same Pure Digital Drive tech on it as well.

When you're going with something wireless, you're locked with theiir DAC and AMP. This can be a LOT of hit and miss, this is why some wireless items are amazing and some were not as liked.

One quick example is Senn M2 IEBT, a really good BT IEM.

The guys with the remastering headphones might have an interesting DAC and AMP module, I am far more curious about the headphones themselves than I am in the remastering part, but dual drivers, dual amps, and the promise of a good DAC are all nice sounding.

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #837 of 1,526
When you're going with something wireless, you're locked with theiir DAC and AMP. This can be a LOT of hit and miss, this is why some wireless items are amazing and some were not as liked.

One quick example is Senn M2 IEBT, a really good BT IEM.

The guys with the remastering headphones might have an interesting DAC and AMP module, I am far more curious about the headphones themselves than I am in the remastering part, but dual drivers, dual amps, and the promise of a good DAC are all nice sounding.

Yeah, but AT claims these HAVE NO DAC.........and that is the problem. Their reps even told someone I know that too. So I just e-mailed them now asking for further clarification. When they respond I'll post it here.

Ok that's cool. It's possible they may still sound great, but I don't believe for a second it has anything to do with upscaling the music. And if it does, I wouldn't call that "natural" since upscaling is simply a computer doing "guesswork" on how it THINKS your lossy music is supposed to sound. If you do actually try it out, feel free to post here in my "Misc" thread. lol

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #838 of 1,526
AT responded about those headphones. Sounds like it's digital all the way through, but I ask the lady to reconfirm that statement.

She said:

Dear .......

Thank you for your question. I appreciate your interest in our headphone technology. I hope this explanation helps:

Typically, in headphones using Bluetooth wireless technology, the digital signal goes through a series of steps that process and transform the wireless signal. With each processing step, there’s an opportunity for distortion and disruption in the audio quality. With the Pure Digital Drive system used in the ATH-DSR9BT, we use the Trigence Semiconductor Dnote® chipset instead of a traditional D/A converter and amplifier. The Dnote system keeps the audio signal entirely in the digital domain from the source right through to the driver, thereby eliminating the opportunities for disruption or distortion that occur in the conversion stages employed in traditional systems. The digital pulses generated by the chipset directly excite the voice coil(s) of the driver to move the diaphragm forward and backward to create the sound waves heard by the user. To address your point, yes, there is a conversion happening, but we don’t refer to it as a DAC because it doesn’t work like the traditional DAC we’re all familiar with in the audio industry. This is a completely new and different technology than we’ve ever seen in the past. In order to make the Pure Digital Drive technology we engineered the drivers from the ground up. A unique four-wire voice coil is used in the ATH-DSR9BT to provide precise control of the diaphragm displacement, resulting in improved accuracy in the audio representation.

Again, thank you so much for your inquiry. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Crystal Griffith

Pretty cool!

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #840 of 1,526
those audio technicas has cool design.

but honestly Sony is a no brainer for becuase of LDAC bluetooth which every phone will get with android O.

Yeah they are. I think at that price though they shouldn't have any plastic on them, but it's not like they're ALL plastic either.

I dunno about that man. Maybe for mp3s and lower quality tracks a DAC would be helpful. But for CD-Quality and Hi-Res tracks, the DAC might actually do more harm than good vs. AT's approach of keeping the signal digital the ENTIRE time. One of the reviews I read said basically that, and it kinda makes sense, so I don't know. Can't say you're wrong, but I can't say you're right either. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back