Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #1,082 of 1,526
Wow! Fantastic video aertus! Thanks for sharing. That's awesome............30% bump in day-to-day battery life, and a bump in volume as well! He never specifies headphone volume in the video, HOWEVER, someone in the comments asked and he responded:

AndreiSmantana1 hour ago
Hi MrWalker1000. Personally i noticed an increase in volume everywhere (speakers, headphone jack, bluetooth headphones). I feel like Sony listened well and addressed most of the issues. :L3000::L3000: lol

So I guess buying the XZP WILL NO LONGER require a portable amp then it seems! (Although, I'd still have to judge for myself to be sure, but it sounds unlikely fortunately.)

Really? That's cool, but yeah, I'd question it too. I prefer to buy from American vendors whenever possible.

Initially I would've agreed with you, and yes, given that I have yet to see the XZ1 in person, things may change, but I highly doubt it. I'm putting my V30 in either a sleeve case or a flip case (still deciding which one to keep), so I don't really care much anymore about metal or glass bodies, just on which one looks cooler. lol But now I'd go with XZP 100%. There's too much in favor of it vs. the XZ1. If I can use the phone like "all day" and still have 50%-60% battery life at night, that's tremendous. That's like what I get now from my V30 (and it doesn't even have Oreo, yet! lol), so to have that with the XZP or even close makes it much more worth it. Plus of course the volume bump. Yeah the XZ1 will prob get a battery and volume bump too with Oreo, but it sounds like the XZP will be more than sufficient now that it's got Oreo.

Yeah but from what I'm reading on those XDA posts I linked you, it seems easier these days than it used to do that flashing stuff. The second program/tool I guess you use it to download the XZ1 C custom mod file for the XZP and it installs it for you. My ONE question though is regarding the whole having to unlock the bootloader thing. In the past, doing this meant permanently messing up your Xperia phone camera where it wouldn't take great pics anymore. To the best of your knowledge, has this issue been fixed? Or does it still happen? I'm guessing it's been fixed but not sure.
xz1 already has oreo. Its the first phone actually to come out of the box with oreo next to the XZ1c. The XZP jsut got oreo recently because it was out for a while and they got it after xz1.

yeah XZp definitely seems like the one to get i really like it. But then again new design language is around the corner with sony. the 2017 lineup will mark the end of sony xperia phones like we used to know them in that design.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #1,083 of 1,526
xz1 already has oreo. Its the first phone actually to come out of the box with oreo next to the XZ1c. The XZP jsut got oreo recently because it was out for a while and they got it after xz1.

yeah XZp definitely seems like the one to get i really like it. But then again new design language is around the corner with sony. the 2017 lineup will mark the end of sony xperia phones like we used to know them in that design.

Oh yeah that's right! I totally forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me. lol

This is true also. I guess it comes down to how badly you need a phone AND how willing are you to wait 'til 2018's Xperia lineup is released. lol I really hope Sony Mobile follows EVERYTHING mentioned in that article I just linked, but also makes sure to have VoLTE available on ALL phones released in the U.S. Well, if you do end up getting it, let me know. lol

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #1,087 of 1,526
lol about time? took ages. But then again sony themselfs said they didn't believe in OIS and were firm believers in EIS. which the EIS worked really good for videos but the issue was with photos. Dynamic vibrations sounds innovative we'll see. it also looks like sony is changing the camera UI and new camera software.

I mean Mirai kind of has to live up to its name.

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,088 of 1,526
lol about time? took ages. But then again sony themselfs said they didn't believe in OIS and were firm believers in EIS. which the EIS worked really good for videos but the issue was with photos. Dynamic vibrations sounds innovative we'll see. it also looks like sony is changing the camera UI and new camera software.

I mean Mirai kind of has to live up to its name.

Yeah. I'm just happy to hear that they are implementing MORE change and (seemingly) at a faster rate than before.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #1,089 of 1,526
Yeah. I'm just happy to hear that they are implementing MORE change and (seemingly) at a faster rate than before.
absolutely they seem to be on full steam ahead. if there weren't any better news for us waiting for sony well here it is.....

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-to-launch-bezel-less-Xperia-XZ-Premium-sequel-in-2018_id100252

comparing the dimmensions ( and if the leaks are true) the sony mirai will be smaller than the lgv30 but have 120 mah more in battery...not significant or huge but still impressive for what they did before. the lgv30 is already pretty compact so im glad sony is doing this. On top of that its 4k HDR so there is definitely something special about this panel from all other JDI panels.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #1,090 of 1,526
absolutely they seem to be on full steam ahead. if there weren't any better news for us waiting for sony well here it is.....

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-to-launch-bezel-less-Xperia-XZ-Premium-sequel-in-2018_id100252

comparing the dimmensions ( and if the leaks are true) the sony mirai will be smaller than the lgv30 but have 120 mah more in battery...not significant or huge but still impressive for what they did before. the lgv30 is already pretty compact so im glad sony is doing this. On top of that its 4k HDR so there is definitely something special about this panel from all other JDI panels.

"Let's face it, Sony makes some of the ugliest smartphones in the industry. While every brand that matters jumped on the bezel-less design bandwagon, Sony stubbornly insists on keeping the so-called OmniBalance design principles." Uhh, NO! lol The XZ Premium was one of the BEST looking phones I've ever seen. My old Z3 was incredible for its time in terms of looks.

That is awesome! So basically an improved XZ Premium. I'm glad they're keeping the 4K. I think they should continue to offer that. It gives them an edge over the competition.

Yes it's good to know that both Sony & LG are good with phone real estate. I look forward to seeing the XZ Premium "2'". I'm guessing it will be out between March & June.

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,091 of 1,526
"Let's face it, Sony makes some of the ugliest smartphones in the industry. While every brand that matters jumped on the bezel-less design bandwagon, Sony stubbornly insists on keeping the so-called OmniBalance design principles." Uhh, NO! lol The XZ Premium was one of the BEST looking phones I've ever seen. My old Z3 was incredible for its time in terms of looks.

That is awesome! So basically an improved XZ Premium. I'm glad they're keeping the 4K. I think they should continue to offer that. It gives them an edge over the competition.

Yes it's good to know that both Sony & LG are good with phone real estate. I look forward to seeing the XZ Premium "2'". I'm guessing it will be out between March & June.
people have no clue about design. and during this time sony was ahead its just now things have changed.

sony might make 4k a standard now on all their devices with mirai. the 4k HDR is definitely a true selling point and samsung will still not have 4k on their s9. Which gives sony a huge advantage. if it was 4k HDR JDI Oled it would be game over but thats gonna take a bit longer.

dude its a massive improvment. I thought nothing was gonna beat LG in terms of size but it will smaller And THINNER than LG but yet bigger battery and undoubtly cuz of their software optimizations better battery life. They will make full use of the full active display clearly something special with their display.

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #1,092 of 1,526
people have no clue about design. and during this time sony was ahead its just now things have changed.

sony might make 4k a standard now on all their devices with mirai. the 4k HDR is definitely a true selling point and samsung will still not have 4k on their s9. Which gives sony a huge advantage. if it was 4k HDR JDI Oled it would be game over but thats gonna take a bit longer.

dude its a massive improvment. I thought nothing was gonna beat LG in terms of size but it will smaller And THINNER than LG but yet bigger battery and undoubtly cuz of their software optimizations better battery life. They will make full use of the full active display clearly something special with their display.

Yeah. F people! lol

Yeah at least the phone coming out next year will have 4K as well, though the S9 will PROBABLY have the 845 chip.

Yes it does sound quite impressive. There are still other factors that Sony must focus on too, so hopefully they work on those as well.

Update on that article here. Scroll down to see comparison pics.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #1,093 of 1,526
There are still other factors that Sony must focus on too, so hopefully they work on those as well.

http://somegadgetguy.com/2017/11/30...marena-and-others-get-smartphone-audio-wrong/
Saw this on Reddit Android. The guy has some independent measurements of some recent flagships. It seems the XZ1C measures as generally being significantly worse. In my experience I haven't found measurements to necessarily mean better sound. However they can demonstrate obvious sound problems. Is Sony still behind competition in analog smartphone audio quality since the 2014 Z3 series peak? If their main focus for the next release is a hardware design refresh, I'd expect shortcomings like battery size and audio won't receive enough if any attention. Especially if they can only commit enough resources to getting the design aspect good, believe that's all the market is demanding of them and required.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,094 of 1,526
http://somegadgetguy.com/2017/11/30...marena-and-others-get-smartphone-audio-wrong/
Saw this on Reddit Android. The guy has some independent measurements of some recent flagships. It seems the XZ1C measures as generally being significantly worse. In my experience I haven't found measurements to necessarily mean better sound. However they can demonstrate obvious sound problems. Is Sony still behind competition in analog smartphone audio quality since the 2014 Z3 series peak? If their main focus for the next release is a hardware design refresh, I'd expect shortcomings like battery size and audio won't receive enough if any attention. Especially if they can only commit enough resources to getting the design aspect good, believe that's all the market is demanding of them and required.

Very interesting article Infy! Thx for sharing!

So it looks like while the HTC 10 sounds great, it's actually altering the sound signature EQ substantially where the V30 (and V20?) is keeping it the same. That might explain why my old HTC 10 seemed to add a bit of "warm bass" to the sound when I listened on it. Was he measuring the V30 with the 2 digital filters off though? I use both filters b/c I feel they enhance the sound vs. making it worse.

Since the Z3, I felt that Sony had gone downhill with its audio. However, that was last year when I had my Xperia X Performance, which was a major letdown vs. the Z3. But this year, esp now with Oreo in the mix, the XZ Premium and XZ1 both appear to have upgraded sound quality thanks to the new AHO (Automatic Headphone Optimization) that Sony has implemented on these newer phones, which from what one Head-Fi'er told me, makes it sound BETTER than his $300 Walkman. Oreo also gave them a 30% boost in battery life which is INCREDIBLE IMO, but it ALSO made them noticeably louder as well (aka they increased the amp output volume). It would be interesting to see "somegadgetguy" do an analysis on the XZ Premium or XZ1's sound to see if it's altering the sound signature like the HTC 10, or not really like the V30.

The Xperia phones (as well as the Walkmans, even the $1200 ZX1!) have always had a pretty low amp volume output. But it looks like that may be coming to an end, though I can't say for sure how much louder they are now with Oreo in the mix. We are hoping that in 2018 Sony will finally make these phones loud enough to compete with HTC and LG, ESP on headphone output!

I believe Sony did lowered the volume output to save battery life, which they were KINGS at until the X Performance came out, which had like the worst rated battery life of all the 2016 flagship phones. But IMO Sony Mobile has redeemed itself in 2017 with regards to the AHO + Oreo raising the output volume. One of the main challenges Sony will have in 2018 is ensuring the quality stays high (or make it even better), ensuring the volume output matches or outdoes that of HTC and LG (let's say vs. the LG V30 in "External Device Mode"), while making sure the battery life DOES NOTTTTT suffer. There are other issues too, but they are not audio-related. Things look quite hopeful for them for 2018, but it will take a lot for Sony to get me to buy another one of their phones again. However, IF the V30 did not exist, instead of getting that 2 mos ago, now that I know the XZ Premium could be modded to include VoLTE on T-Mobile (see previous postings), as well as what Oreo has done for its battery life (which was already very good to great despite being a 4K phone) AND volume output + AHO...................................I would very likely at this point have just bought that phone instead and been quite happy with it. I got to see it at a local Best Buy in person, and it was STUNNNING! lol I hope in 2018 Sony also transitions over to 18:9 from 16:9, but we shall see. It won't happen 'til the Fall I'm sure as this next phone appears to still be 16:9.

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #1,095 of 1,526
upload_2017-12-2_0-59-18.png

i feel like it's going to be an overall overhaul of their smartphone lineup. If they brought the competition against lg with sound it would be even more impressive. They really have to live up to the mirai name and kind of have to make it or break it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back