Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs
Aug 16, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #376 of 471
Am I able to request who during the booking?

Yes.

There are now three Sony sound engineers available for the MH1 custom tuning session and you can specify whom to have this session with.

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #377 of 471
Thants very true. To me my only issue was during my trip to HK, I did manage to demo the MH2 lisening but did find that the detail/resolution was bit on the lacking side. But it is in a much noisier place and was a relative quick test.

Actually with the modern drivers, be it DD or BA, one single driver can give you ALL the details in the music. There isn't one single iem that can't produce a fully resolved sound and all the sonic cues and information that your sound source could offer.

Why we sometimes get the perception of some multi or even 10+ drivers sounds more detailed than others is probably down to 1. tuning up/down certain frequencies (in particular bumping up the 7-8K range while suppressing the lower mids) so that human ears seem to pick out as detail cues of most instruments/vocals more readily; and 2. time align the drivers producing the same frequency range such that the same sonic info from one driver may reach your ear drum a fraction of a second later than that piece of info from another driver, thus CREATING like doubled the info. The end result may sound natural (human perceptions are kind of illusions anyway) but there are lots of artificiality in it.

There are no such things in Ety, and seems to be absent in Just ear too. That's why the soundscape may not be as rich (artificially) or crowded with details as the 10+ drivers iems, but it sounds clean, pure and REAL. Because that's how you perceive sound LIVE (not live at a concert venue - the sound of which is already contaminated by the boomy accoustics from subwoofers and reflections - but live in front of the musicians) in the first place.

Oct 9, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #379 of 471
Just out of curiosity both Crin's database and this site https://www.0db.co.kr/index.php?mid=REVIEW_0DB&page=11&document_srl=485414 have shown that there are measurable and marked decrease in sub bass on all JE MH2 tunings, anyone knows why Bandai san made that choice and more importantly, how audible is it, if at all? thx

There are 3 tunings for MH2 - Club, Listening, Monitor
As you can see for the compensated FR, the FR becomes increasingly flatter and more neutral from the very V-shaped tuning of the Club. So just by the name sake, the tuning is pretty much self explanatory, as you have to take into consideration that frequency response at a specific range is *relative* to the rest of the curve eg if you reduced the treble, you'll have to reduce the bass as well, if you keep the bass the same while reducing the treble only, then the phone becomes bass heavy.

You can see how the Club tuning with the more pronounced bass also have a peak between 5khz-6khz which doesn't exists in the other two tuning (which is obviously to compensate for the exaggerated bass), so you can't just look at the bass section and jump to the conclusion that the sub-bass is reduced.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #380 of 471
There are 3 tunings for MH2 - Club, Listening, Monitor
As you can see for the compensated FR, the FR becomes increasingly flatter and more neutral from the very V-shaped tuning of the Club. So just by the name sake, the tuning is pretty much self explanatory, as you have to take into consideration that frequency response at a specific range is *relative* to the rest of the curve eg if you reduced the treble, you'll have to reduce the bass as well, if you keep the bass the same while reducing the treble only, then the phone becomes bass heavy.

You can see how the Club tuning with the more pronounced bass also have a peak between 5khz-6khz which doesn't exists in the other two tuning (which is obviously to compensate for the exaggerated bass), so you can't just look at the bass section and jump to the conclusion that the sub-bass is reduced.

Perhaps I should be more clear, it was wrt sub bass being attenuated in relation to the upper bass which exist on all 3 tunings (see graph)

All I was asking is how audible this is (ie. on the ex1k, because of its large diaphragm, the attenuated/neutral sub bass is somewhat compensated by its air displacement) as my person preference would be similar to Ety's, 64 Nio (m15) or even Sony's own Z1R were the upper bass is attenuated compared to sub. 2XR.png6a4720dae7b9df8ec8fd17b18b8ed473.png

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #381 of 471
Perhaps I should be more clear, it was wrt sub bass being attenuated in relation to the upper bass which exist on all 3 tunings (see graph)

All I was asking is how audible this is (ie. on the ex1k, because of its large diaphragm, the attenuated/neutral sub bass is somewhat compensated by its air displacement) as my person preference would be similar to Ety's, 64 Nio (m15) or even Sony's own Z1R were the upper bass is attenuated compared to sub.2XR.png6a4720dae7b9df8ec8fd17b18b8ed473.png

Well my answer would still be the same.

The Club tuning as the name implies is the one with head thumping bass that you get in a Club, so the entire bass frequency range is lifted and there's a treble peak to compensate for the exaggerate bass response. The Club tuning overall is a very exaggerated V-shaped tuning with a big dip in the mid frequency as it transition from the bass.

Listening tuning is a more general pop/musical tune - there's a bit of lifted bass response to give you enough of a toe-tapping fun, so the bass-to-sub-bass response is again slightly lifted north of neutral.

Monitoring as the name implies is for monitoring purpose - so the focus is on the treble. However instead of bring up the treble, the bass response is instead reduced because this is generally what is considered to be best practice when EQing/tuning (ie reducing loudness is better than increasing loudness, because then you can avoid issues like clipping and distortion). So in actuality when you want more bass, the actual best method is to decrease treble and not dial up bass, and vice versa.

The IER-Z1R has a totally different tune to Just ear, as one of the main goal for the Z1R is supposedly to make it sound very "big" and not IEM like which may be due to the increase subbass, while I don't think that was the goal of the of the Just ear to begin with. There's also the fact this is comparing a universal IEM (Z1R) with demo versions of a CIEM which aren't fully shelled/fitted to the ear (demo MH2), so that's another thing to keep in mind when interpreting the data.

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #382 of 471

All I was asking is how audible this is (ie. on the ex1k, because of its large diaphragm, the attenuated/neutral sub bass is somewhat compensated by its air displacement) as my person preference would be similar to Ety's, 64 Nio (m15) or even Sony's own Z1R were the upper bass is attenuated compared to sub.2XR.png6a4720dae7b9df8ec8fd17b18b8ed473.png
Its very noticeable. I have the Club sound and, if I don't EQ it in, there is almost no sub bass on unit. It took me awhile to get over that slight disappointment (its such a drop from the demo units). Its so missing that I stil wonder if I got a defective pair/tuning. But I can't get that looked at till after Covid restrictions are lifted.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #383 of 471
Its very noticeable. I have the Club sound and, if I don't EQ it in, there is almost no sub bass on unit. It took me awhile to get over that slight disappointment (its such a drop from the demo units). Its so missing that I stil wonder if I got a defective pair/tuning. But I can't get that looked at till after Covid restrictions are lifted.

I am not saying this is you guys' cases, but to fully enjoy Just Ear one needs some understanding of what it is.

First I have to say (mine is the LiSA variant)
1. demos have good sub-bass response because it is the ear tips that offers the seal hence the bass. As long as you have the right sized tips on you will have a consistent seal for the duration of the demo period (say 30 mins or so).
2. My own pair of Just Ear gives the same sort of sub-bass most of the time, but not always. There are conditions under which it underperforms.

Different to other CIEMs (I got a few) and different to UIEMS, the Just Ears relies mostly on the outer part (big part, or that part that rests in your pinna) including the part that JUST cling onto the entrance of your ear canal for fit AND seal. The protrusion that extends into your canal tends to be made a tiny bit smaller than the other CIEMs and not necessarily adheres to the wall of your ear canal all the time.

If I have listened to other iems especially UIEMs which I pair with a larger than usual sized silicon tips for a listening session or two then switch back to the Just Ear, I tends to find it underperforming, not just with much less sub-bass but also with less high extension or details in the mids. That doesn't happen if I have done the same with UIEMS that inserts deep and which I could pair with a smaller sized silicon tips or foam tips (foam tips cause less of this problem as it doesn't force your canal to conform to its shape). That also doesn't happen if I switch from other CIEMs (which undoubtedly fits great to my ears and won't bulge in the canal) to the Just Ears.

I have concluded that ear canals' sizes and shapes would be slightly altered by larger and more rigid tips of UIEMs. While this usually have no bearings on usual CIEMs which relies equally on both the pinna part and the canal part to fit and seal, it affects the performance of Just Ears as the size and shape to the entrance of the ear canal is very important for the seal which in turn is very important for sub-bass output.

This is only my experience and YMMV. The above may not apply to you. You may be a one iem person (which I doubt there's any on head-fi) so the above is just BS to you. But if it happens that you are one to rotate heavily with a large iem collection like I do, you may try listening to the Just Ears a few days straight or, if you want to rule out the effects of brain run-in or adaptation, try ONLY listening to CIEMS and Just Ears for a few days straight.

After I draw my own little conclusion, I avoid using large rigid tips altogether for good and my Just Ear has since been a true world beater.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #384 of 471
Little bump of the thread

Tried something out of curiosity - used some blu-teck to seal the bore of the BA and see what's the DD is doing alone, then the other way round. I know there is no crossover in any Just Ears, but am still a bit surprised that both drivers seem to be producing almost full range sound, with the BA only missing deep lows and visceral thumps while the DD lacks some extension in the highs, but both drivers are more or less producing full-range sound with a wide frequency range overlapped between the 2 drivers.

Interesting.

Apr 9, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #386 of 471
Anyone has long term review for just ear? :relaxed:

5 years with my MH1.
During that time I've bought: 3 to 4 pairs of headphones including two pairs of 1200+ TOTLs, 4 pairs of UIEM from midrange to high end, 3 pairs of True Wireless Earbuds, speakers, two turntables, a couple of portable amps, 4 DAPs and a summit-fi player....

0 pairs of CIEM.

That's all there is to say about it. I've said it before when I bought mine - there's nothing better than a fully customised MH1 except another pair of MH1 - still holds true.

Apr 9, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #387 of 471
What's with the hk version, I prefer without the hk wording. Looks cheap.

May 23, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #388 of 471
has any one compared just ear cable vs z1r cable?

May 23, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #389 of 471
has any one compared just ear cable vs z1r cable?

I hadn't before, but just now I have briefly tried that on my Just Ear. The Just Ear cable is obviously more supple and almost non-existent when worn, but sonically comparing to the Z1R it just sounds like..........well, a normal el cheapo stock cable. It looks and feels sturdily built though, but I have not used it regularly at all. There were reported cases of built quality issues on the Z1R cable but I have met none of those, and it just sounds so much superior to the Just Ear stock on staging, details, fullness and extension at both ends.

Caveat: For this test I use the 3.5 version of both cables - both of which were abandoned in their original boxes since day 1, so there were zero burn-in if you believe in that.

Jul 31, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #390 of 471

Users who are viewing this thread

Back