Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs
Feb 21, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #241 of 471
4 colors of shell sample was on show last Saturday in Nakano Potaken 2017 Winter
Blue, Pink, Green (the original), Clear
Just some prototype to show and no plan to release it just yet.

The ice blue is really beautiful so I voted for it, really hope they will release it.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #242 of 471
The clear type was a bit pointless, I hope they make the pink and blue ones. 

I voted for the pink one because I know most will vote blue. :)

May 4, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #244 of 471
Might be late but I wrote an article on AudioPrimate.blog about the three (technically five) Sony Just ear CIEM's in one place.
All of the info is sourced from Sony but I left this thread linked in the article; that is for outside readers to come here for more info that is outside the scope of my article.
Love my Head-Fi family so I wasn't gonna leave you out <3

Key things to note is the idea that you need to actually go to one of three stores to get any of the CIEM's, and one of the CIEM's is tailor made for the for Sony's flagship DAP NW-WM1Z.

Models include: XJE-MH 1, XJE-MH 2 (which can be had in three variants), and XJE-MH/WM 1 including a Kimber Kable as standard.

Have fun reading ^^

May 4, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #246 of 471
I guess it's a good time to do a bit of update on Just Ear since the thread is revived.

Starting from April 1st the Just Ear brand has been transferred from under Sony Engineering (their experimental product branch) to under Sony Video and Sound Products - so now Just Ear is elevated to official long term product line status and you can find them listed on Sony's main product homepage. In a celebration of this movement sort of thing, any Just Ear CIEM that is ordered after May 1st will have the new face plate which has the official Sony logo engraved on it. Also because of this, laser engraving personalisation services for the face plate is no longer offered for Just Ear CIEMs after May 1st. The good news is now that Just Ear should have more resources to tap into for R&D and production, the bad news is there's still no ETA for when, if ever, would they start to offer Just Ear outside of Japan.

Personally I kind of wish they kept the laser engraving service, perhaps just limit it to the MH1 model (afterall since buyers of those REALLY want it personalised). Maybe I'll reflect this to Matsuo-san next time I see him....

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #248 of 471
Good to see this thread revived...looking forward to more feedbacks from those who owned one. Will be making 3 trips to Japan between now until the end of the year so I will definitely check it out

May 31, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #250 of 471
I have a few question for those who already has the JE XJE-MH1, whiles you have them custom adjusted, won't the SQ still be ultered with time whiles you have the IEM burning in after a few hundred hours, as with all good quality IEM, they need to burn in to fully mature.

I'm considering the MH2, and will be visiting Japan in December, will this also need you to have a impressions done as well as a waiting time and a prebooking to have this done.

I tend to like listening to female vocal, love songs, mainly ballad and not heavy on bass, which version of the MH2 would you consider best from the three tuned.

My ear size tend to be small to medium, is it normal for the JE to be bigger than the avarage IEM and stick out, i'm currently using the Song EX600, EX800ST and Beyerdynamic Xelento and will be getting the Sony EX1000.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #251 of 471
Really hoping I get a chance to try and maybe buy one of these in the future!

Will be heading to Japan in July and and December and hope to try them then! If the time lines up I may even consider splurging..

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #252 of 471
I have a few question for those who already has the JE XJE-MH1, whiles you have them custom adjusted, won't the SQ still be ultered with time whiles you have the IEM burning in after a few hundred hours, as with all good quality IEM, they need to burn in to fully mature.

Just ear offers a various maintenance services such as normal cleaning, refitting and a sound check/tune up service where they will check for you whether the sound is the same as when you received it. So for those worrying about burn in changing the sound it's not going to be an issue.

I'm considering the MH2, and will be visiting Japan in December, will this also need you to have a impressions done as well as a waiting time and a prebooking to have this done.

Yes and yes.
Only Tokyo Hearing Center can do the impressions for Just ear and you must book an appointment in advance.

I tend to like listening to female vocal, love songs, mainly ballad and not heavy on bass, which version of the MH2 would you consider best from the three tuned.

Either the listening or the monitoring model.

My ear size tend to be small to medium, is it normal for the JE to be bigger than the avarage IEM and stick out, i'm currently using the Song EX600, EX800ST and Beyerdynamic Xelento and will be getting the Sony EX1000.

They will stick out as Just ear are a fair bit larger than most customs, but not like the old Sony EX models. They are closer to the Jerry Harvey universal in size.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #253 of 471
Just ear offers a various maintenance services such as normal cleaning, refitting and a sound check/tune up service where they will check for you whether the sound is the same as when you received it. So for those worrying about burn in changing the sound it's not going to be an issue.

Yes and yes.
Only Tokyo Hearing Center can do the impressions for Just ear and you must book an appointment in advance.

Either the listening or the monitoring model.

They will stick out as Just ear are a fair bit larger than most customs, but not like the old Sony EX models. They are closer to the Jerry Harvey universal in size.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will check out online about booking the service for impression, just another question, bit personal, whiles wearing the JE on the street, do people look at you with funny look, as the JE do stick out alot.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #254 of 471
Thanks for the quick reply, I will check out online about booking the service for impression, just another question, bit personal, whiles wearing the JE on the street, do people look at you with funny look, as the JE do stick out alot.

Didn't know about the tune-up service, very interesting! Considering asking a friend to help me arrange an appointment to make a MH1...

Honestly I feel like any custom in your ears will warrant some looks; they aren't super prevalent so people will naturally be curious. Especially if you have a flashy upgrade cable..

Jun 1, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #255 of 471

Honestly no one ever looked at me because while they are a little larger than most BA only customs, they aren't THAT noticeable. As I said they are about the size of the JH universals. Also Sugano-san will make sure they look right and is as snugged in the ear lob as it can get, that's why he takes at least half an hour to do the ear impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back