Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs
Oct 25, 2014 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 471
Sony today announced a new brand: Just ear, a manufacture of custom IEMs. I had a quick listen and chat with their lead engineer.

The pricing will be about $2000-3000 and will initially begin in Japan next year with some degree of custom tuning available. Three types of tuning were being demonstrated at the show: "Listening", "Monitor", and "Club Sound".

More information: 

Since I am living in Japan, I got excited for this news so I did some quick research about the topic and found this article which also comes to answer some of this thread answers

http://www.phileweb.com/sp/news/audio/201410/25/15121.html

-the interview was done with Matsuo san from Sony s headphone R&D

-Apparently the original plan was to do a CIEM only with dynamic drivers, but since they realize it would be hard to get a good sound given the inunerous ears variations they decided for mids in highs with BA

-the metalic part of the shell will use brass, but maybe it can change to aluminum, not decided yet.

-The acrylic part has a special mix of 2 materials, one hard (I guess it s the usual CIEM acrylic) and one that becomes softer when achieve body s temperature. To develop the right distribution between both materials on the CIEM was hard, also the production process is complicated, so on the beginning they dont plan to make shell color change possible

-conector is mmcx

-there are 2 "courses", one u got the 3 default equalization options (sound, monitor and listening) and it is expexted to cost between 200,000~250,000 jpy, on the other "course" u can adjust the eq freely and takes u 250,000 to 300,000 jpy

-orders are expected to start until the end of this year

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 471
What is the estimated price point for their flagship CIEM's? Do you think they are meant to compete with TOTL offerings from the likes of JH, UE or Noble?

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 471
Looks like some hybrid design there with vented dynamic that looks pretty professional and not like anything else in the market. Really shows how big company doing stuff their own way.

How was the sound though?

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 471
They had three tunings there, but generally spacious and detailed from my brief listen. I'm going to assume anything less than stellar with the sound (eg: slight weirdness in the FR) was because it was a universal version of a custom. 

I'll ask about prices, but I don't think these are final release yet as they were asking for feedback and there isn't, as far as I know, a web site up yet. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 471
Oct 25, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #12 of 471
Finally Sony has stepped into the market of CIEM. I guess Shure will be the next.
I'm really excited about the design of the cable so that you can twist it, as well as the venting for the diaphragm.
Will get one if the price is acceptable!

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 471
looks interesting and awesome !! but will be out of my reach .

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 471
Wait, according to the video will Sony allow the buyer to tell Just Ear techs how they want it tuned specifically? Or just one of the three choices of club sound, monitor, and listening?

This is by far the most interesting bit(inferred from what he said at the end of the video). Custom-tunable-custom-fit-in-ear-monitors. Hope it's true.
---------

Is that yellow foam in the sound tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back