Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs
Mar 29, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #346 of 471
I wonder if this some secret plan by Sony to get me to spend another 100,000 yen and upgrade to custom sound since they offer that now.

You can't change from a MH2R to a MH1R.
What they do allow you to do is change between the different tunings of the MH2R. If you are already on the Club tune there's no other tuning that would give you more bass in the MH2R line up.

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #347 of 471
You can't change from a MH2R to a MH1R.
What they do allow you to do is change between the different tunings of the MH2R. If you are already on the Club tune there's no other tuning that would give you more bass in the MH2R line up.

You can. We were told directly by Mr. Hideki Seki in January (my last visit) that starting in in April of this year you can change the sounds to a predetermined (club to listening or monitor) for 50,000 yen or you can change to custom tune for 100,000. And its even on the website.

https://www.sony.co.jp/Products/justear/product/

Change of sound quality after purchase is always possible

After purchasing Just ear, you can change your desired sound quality. There are two ways to update the sound quality. "Sound quality consulting" in which a Sony engineer tunes to the customer's desired sound quality in a face-to-face manner, and "Preset sound quality change" in which changes are made to three existing sound qualities: monitor, listening, and club. It can be customized according to the music you usually listen to and the change in sound quality you want.

Object modelXJE-MH1R, XJE-MH2R, XJE-MH / WM1R, XJE-MH / Z1R, XJE-MH / ZX5R
Scheduled start timeSpring 2020
Sound quality consulting price100,000 yen
Preset sound quality change (*)
price
50,000 yen
* The sound quality can be selected from "Monitor", "Listening", "Club Sound", "WM1", "Z1", "ZX500".

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #348 of 471
You can. We were told directly by Mr. Hideki Seki in January (my last visit) that starting in in April of this year you can change the sounds to a predetermined (club to listening or monitor) for 50,000 yen or you can change to custom tune for 100,000. And its even on the website.

https://www.sony.co.jp/Products/justear/product/

Change of sound quality after purchase is always possible

After purchasing Just ear, you can change your desired sound quality. There are two ways to update the sound quality. "Sound quality consulting" in which a Sony engineer tunes to the customer's desired sound quality in a face-to-face manner, and "Preset sound quality change" in which changes are made to three existing sound qualities: monitor, listening, and club. It can be customized according to the music you usually listen to and the change in sound quality you want.

Object modelXJE-MH1R, XJE-MH2R, XJE-MH / WM1R, XJE-MH / Z1R, XJE-MH / ZX5R
Scheduled start timeSpring 2020
Sound quality consulting price100,000 yen
Preset sound quality change (*)
price
50,000 yen
* The sound quality can be selected from "Monitor", "Listening", "Club Sound", "WM1", "Z1", "ZX500".

I'm going off info directly from Matsuo-san from last year's Porta-ken. Perhaps since then they've revised their strategy and my understanding is outdated.

Mar 30, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #349 of 471
I'm going off info directly from Matsuo-san from last year's Porta-ken. Perhaps since then they've revised their strategy and my understanding is outdated.

Yes I had heard that also; had even read it here before I went. But during the discussions about whether I was going to do customs or stick to a predetermined sound, he told us that starting this year they would allow not only changes between the 3 signatures but even an upgrade to the custom sound. I got the club sound because I wouldn't have the chance to come back in Feb for the 1st and 2nd fitting visits (I live in the US) but he told me he felt I would be back for the custom upgrade. Him and my wife had a long talk about it cause I keep asking "you sure..you sure sure" and they guaranteed me it was true. I was relieved to finally see that info appear on the site and the Spring 2020 corresponds with him telling me April availability. Maybe they crippled my bass to ensure I came back. *sarcasm*

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #351 of 471
Apr 15, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #352 of 471
You are late to the party, the cut off date for the LiSA model was 31st August last year.

Yes, I know. It's new news to me and I don't think it was posted so just posting.

I've been focusing on my digital source so started looking at CIEMs again and stumbled upon the LiSA tailor made headphones.

It's a double sigh tho because I was there after 31st August. I got to try out the MH2 Monitor and was planning on bringing my source and music files I familiar with this year. I had to use a DAP and most music files were likely the compressed variety so it was hard to evaluate.

I need to plan August trips going forward as the audio show and specials seem to be around that time period.

Do you think it's possible to reverse engineer a tuning? I'm loving my UE Pro 10 (600 hours usage) and want to match the exact tuning if possible via MH1. The UE-10 is the only neutral done right CIEM ever imo and has yet to replicated, even by UE. I will supply the UE-10 to Sony if needed...

11212237.png

11210213.png

11210233.png

11210228.png

11210238.png

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #353 of 471
Do you think it's possible to reverse engineer a tuning? I'm loving my UE Pro 10 (600 hours usage) and want to match the exact tuning if possible via MH1. The UE-10 is the only neutral done right CIEM ever imo and has yet to replicated, even by UE. I will supply the UE-10 to Sony if needed...

IMO no CIEM will beat the MH1 except another pair of MH1. Personalised tuning even AFTER fitting means you can get it to sound as close to your personal liking as possible which no pre-tuned CIEM can do. I doubt the UE 10 will begin to even touch a properly tuned MH1 for neutrality.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #354 of 471
IMO no CIEM will beat the MH1 except another pair of MH1. Personalised tuning even AFTER fitting means you can get it to sound as close to your personal liking as possible which no pre-tuned CIEM can do. I doubt the UE 10 will begin to even touch a properly tuned MH1 for neutrality.

Beautiful. I need to plan for obsolescence as the UE-10 will near 20 years soon. To me the UE-10 is timeless like ER4S, Senheisser 6 series and STAX 009. You would be surprised how well they hold up even with hirez.

It's really difficult to find neutral monitors in this day and age. It's mostly exaggerated FOTM. Neutrality is timeless and is very time period agnostic.

I'll focus my efforts on learning more about Just Ears. Do you feel the same way about neutrality for the MH2 Monitor?

I want to take my subjectivity out of it and just objectively replicate the tuning. Next time you stop by the Just Ears shop, maybe ask them if possible to reverse engineer? I'm not comfortable translating my own preferences. I doubt I could get to Asia for another 15 months so no rush. Maybe MH2 is the safer play...

Oh. I remembered you had a Hugo2, any hiss?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #355 of 471
Beautiful. I need to plan for obsolescence as the UE-10 will near 20 years soon. To me the UE-10 is timeless like ER4S, Senheisser 6 series and STAX 009. You would be surprised how well they hold up even with hirez.

It's really difficult to find neutral monitors in this day and age. It's mostly exaggerated FOTM. Neutrality is timeless and is very time period agnostic.

I'll focus my efforts on learning more about Just Ears. Do you feel the same way about neutrality for the MH2 Monitor?

I want to take my subjectivity out of it and just objectively replicate the tuning. Next time you stop by the Just Ears shop, maybe ask them if possible to reverse engineer? I'm not comfortable translating my own preferences. I doubt I could get to Asia for another 15 months so no rush.

Cheers!

Just show them a frequency response and model of the earphone and say you want it sound something like this and they would do the initial tuning, after that you can tweak and finalise the sound and iron out the bits that you don't like (which is the hardest part).

I find the MH2 Monitor too sharp on the trebles so it wasn't to my preference, after I finished my MH1 tuning Matsuo-san told me the finalised tuning sort of leans towards the Listening Model but with my own twists and preferences so it's not really like any of the preset tunings.

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #356 of 471
Just show them a frequency response and model of the earphone and say you want it sound something like this and they would do the initial tuning, after that you can tweak and finalise the sound and iron out the bits that you don't like (which is the hardest part).

I find the MH2 Monitor too sharp on the trebles so it wasn't to my preference, after I finished my MH1 tuning Matsuo-san told me the finalised tuning sort of leans towards the Listening Model but with my own twists and preferences so it's not really like any of the preset tunings.

Okay, I'll plan a Japan trip if that's the case. MH1 seems to be worth the effort.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #357 of 471
Matsuo-san's hand-written description card of the sound of my MH1. As mentioned above the sound as descibed by Matsuo-san is as follows:
* Tight bass, balanced mids

Thanks again for your input. It's really appreciated. I can formulate a plan now going forward.

This was what I was looking for is that tight bass. With the 13.5mm DD, I was concerned it's all about decay and round slam. The UE-10 has the most gorgeous neutral tight punchy bass that's not overdone. It's just lowkey and doesn't blend with the mids. It makes my knees weak with each listening session. I'm terrified that once the UE-10 goes R.I.P. that I would never be able to experience this again unless UE releases an 20th Anniversary UE-10. Jerry Harvey probably devoted all his efforts into the perfect neutral tone in the world's first CIEM. I hope to replicate that during the 5 hour session with the Sony Engineer for the MH1R.

I see it as saving money in the long run and not wasting time with something that doesn't resonate. For car audio, you also need to pay a consulting fee for reference tuning to get things just right. It's not a FOTM product either, there seems to be a long product cycle plan in place.

GG

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #358 of 471
You really don't have to worry.

Matsuo-san was the sound engineer behind the legendary Sony MDR-EX1000 which is a single 16mm DD driver known for a balanced presentation with good tight bass and extension. Actually I would say most BA only IEM's bass is unnatural and once you get your hands on a pair of good DD IEM and know what good DD bass is you'll never look back to BA only IEMs ever again (the DD IEM that got me to understand what a good DD IEM can do was the AK/Beyer AK T8ieMK2 - still a completely relevant flagship DD IEM for today IMO).

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #359 of 471
You really don't have to worry.

Matsuo-san was the sound engineer behind the legendary Sony MDR-EX1000 which is a single 16mm DD driver known for a balanced presentation with good tight bass and extension. Actually I would say most BA only IEM's bass is unnatural and once you get your hands on a pair of good DD IEM and know what good DD bass is you'll never look back to BA only IEMs ever again (the DD IEM that got me to understand what a good DD IEM can do was the AK/Beyer AK T8ieMK2 - still a completely relevant flagship DD IEM for today IMO).

Yes, I feel much more at ease now.

I will also feel blessed to hear a Jerry Harvey (in his prime before he evolved into a businessman) neutral-tuned monitor and Matsuo-san (@ prime) personalised neutral-tuned tailor made monitors. Kinda best of both Western and Eastern neutral worlds.

I would seriously consider a custom single driver if that was available. I believe single drivers scale well with the Chord MScaler while xover bottlenecks.

I would pursue irregardless if it was BA or DD. If these were not personally tuned, I would worry about being overwhelmed by the DD bass. Just want tight neutral lowkey and no blending with the mids and highs. It's going to be interesting how a 13.5mm DD that sits 90% outside the ear plays out with a +-5% UE-10 tune. If it turns out natural with sub-bass extension that doesn't overwhelm the senses, all the better.

Oh, I edited an previous post too late while you were in the process of replying. I believe you once had a Mojo and Hugo2, any hiss with either?

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #360 of 471
I'm not sensitive to hiss - I don't hear hiss even on the hiss monster CA Andromeda which everyone claims they can hear on almost everything they plug into. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back