Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs
Feb 23, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #316 of 471
0jZfDceh.jpg

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #317 of 471
Received my MH-2 Monitor today, it is exactly the sound i am looking for, cant even think of any changes to make it suits my taste better.....looks like i have saved 100k yen (plus traveling cost to Japan) for the MH-1......satisfied, the first, and probably the last pair of Custom made headphone i ever need.

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #321 of 471
Cool. Do you guys think this one's better than Z1R, XBA Z5, and EX1000?
I'm a big fan of Sony IEMs.. I think I'll travel to Japan to buy this lol
It's not as simple as just a buy it over the counter, try reading through the pages for more information.

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #322 of 471
Just ear will be refreshing their line up and will be taking orders as well as showing off their new line up at the Headphone Matsuri this weekend.

https://www.sony.co.jp/Products/justear/news/2019/10/post.html

The new Just ear will be named XJE-MH1R and XJE-MH2R. The MH1R is again fully sound customised to the owner's liking and requires a 1-on-1 tuning session, while the MH2R is offered in the same Monitor, Listening, and Club preset variants. The major changes are as follow:
* A change to the internal design/construction such that owners can now request for a sound re-tuning service for a fee. MH1R can be fully re-tuned, while MH2R can be changed to any of the preset sounds. eg Listening to Monitor or Club etc
* Shell construction is changed - the soft tip/hard shell dual material construction will be no longer, from now on it will be a complete hard acrylic construction to increase rigidity and durability
* Personalised face plate engraving option is making a return
* A new 4.4mm pack-in cable option is available. Owners can specify whether they want the SE 3.5mm cable or the 4.4mm balanced cable. Both cables are newly fabricated and is supposedly made from a 4 wire cable which is thicker than the previous pack-in SE 3.5mm cable. I'm guessing it is a full OFC cable since that was what was used before, will try to confirm with Matsuo-san when I see him. There's a possibility the 4.4mm cable will be sold separately but no guarantee just yet.

Previous Sony Store models XJE-MH/WM1 (tuned for WM1 Walkmans), XJE-MH/Z1 (tuned for DMP-Z1) will also be refreshed to become WM1R and Z1R, while a new ZX5R model (tuned for the new ZX500 Walkman) will be introduced.

I'll most likely head to Headphone Matsuri and talk with Matsuo-san this weekend, will report any new findings if there are any.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #324 of 471
XJE-MH/WM1 is my favorite. I don't like over the ear type IEMs. XJE-MH/WM1 solves that problem... so I can wear it like a normal earphone. I might buy two pairs of XJE-MH/WM1s in Japan.

What do you mean? All Justear (including the XJE-MH/WM1) are designed to be worn with cable routed over the ear. Cannot wear it the other way round.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #325 of 471
What do you mean? All Justear (including the XJE-MH/WM1) are designed to be worn with cable routed over the ear. Cannot wear it the other way round.

It looks like some of Just ear models are not over the ear type IEMs. You can wear XJE-MH like a normal earphone:

XJE-MH_WM1

Another example.. it's not over the ear. Since this is a customized IEM, I think you can order any type you want.

abb7830e-9cb0-47f9-a5fe-bc9a10227509.JPG

400_300_justear_01.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #326 of 471
It looks like some of Just ear models are not over the ear type IEMs. You can wear XJE-MH like a normal earphone:

XJE-MH_WM1

Another example.. it's not over the ear. Since this is a customized IEM, I think you can ask which type you want.

abb7830e-9cb0-47f9-a5fe-bc9a10227509.JPG

Sorry to disappoint you but no you can't. Those two you show in the pics are cable-over-the-ear type as well.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #328 of 471
lol I will visit Sony in Japan and demand them to create one that is not over the ear type. I'm sure they will.

Lol good luck but I'm sure they won't. The Japanese got way more rules and values they'd insist on observing than you could have ever imagined, even if you stack cash in front of them. The process of making an earmold for Justears is far more complicated and time consuming than making normal earmolds for other brands. And Justear is the brainchild of Matsuo Bandai san who is a rather strict person himself from what I've heard. See how he insists on only one aesthetic design and one single type of driver configuration on all his products.

Just curious.........why you don't like the "over the ear" type? Dislike the fit or what? Back when the majority of iems were the cable straight down type I have prayed to god that the best iems should all roll out in the cable-over-ear design. And sooooo glad that my prayers were heard and heeded XD

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #329 of 471
Well, you should realize the over the ear type of IEMs are probably the most useless inventions ever. They don't contribute to sound quality in any way.
Check how amazing AKG K3003 and Sennheiser IE800s sound without such over the ear cables. I think over the ear type cables make IEMs much less convenient for no reason.
Some people may think that looks cool but I don't think so.
Sony N3AP and XBA 300 are another good examples. They never need you to hang cable around your ear to sound amazing...

I'll visit Japan and see what happens...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #330 of 471
Well, you should realize the over the ear type of IEMs are probably the most useless inventions ever. They don't contribute to sound quality in any way.
Check how amazing AKG K3003 and Sennheiser IE800s sound without such over the ear cables. I think over the ear type cables make IEMs much less convenient for no reason.
Some people may think that looks cool but I don't think so.
Sony N3AP and XBA 300 are another good examples. They never need you to hang cable around your ear to sound amazing...

I'll visit Japan and see what happens...

Over ear designs allows you to hang the iems over your ear (meaning you can take them off for a bit to hear the audience while on stage or just listening what someone else has to say. It's also a failsafe design where if the IEMs fall out of your ear, the hook will be there to catch it from falling.

The other aspect is with weight distribution. Hanging iems with down-ear/bullet designs are heavier and less stable.

Lastly, over ear designs reduce mechanical noise of the cable when it smacks against your shirt/body. Which is why some Etymotic users complain about the noise when they walk. The solution is to use Etys over ear to reduce it.

Those are reasons why modern musicians opt for over ear designs with ear monitors. Most musicians put the cable behind them as well which would be risky for bullet designs.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back