Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs
Aug 5, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #286 of 471
Not sure who you got at Jaben HK but I've been a customer of theirs for ~10 years now, always had great experiences and my JE pair is on order from them. I'd recommend giving them another try as my experience has never been anything short of professional and extremely satisfying.

I think it really depends on people, may be they think I'm wasting there time, at the end I did buy the cable which was a first audio cable cost at HKD 2100, although I got it for HKD 1700 from somewhere else, because they made me think that they are pressuring me to make a purchase.

Anyway, visited DMA today, there was many people testing the Sony out, I didn't have enough time too wait so I will try again soon. they say it's a 4 months turn around time, whiles Sony Centre say it's about 2 months.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #287 of 471
I think it really depends on people, may be they think I'm wasting there time, at the end I did buy the cable which was a first audio cable cost at HKD 2100, although I got it for HKD 1700 from somewhere else, because they made me think that they are pressuring me to make a purchase.

It does depend on people - in which I mean the staff at the store. People who lives in Hong Kong should know that sales staff turn around is very quick so a bad experience a few months ago really doesn't mean much. Personally I had a very poor experience at Jaben many years ago but went back recently to give them another chance and they are ok now so I reset my opinion of them back to neutral. On the other hand I had always had excellent experience at DMA myself both at the Mong Kok store and the Wanchai store (though I mainly go to Wanchai, the MK store is too busy and always changing lower level staff which leads to poor service IMO, but there're two old timers I know by face and they are always nice). I'd also recommend Let's Go Audio at Wanchai (same building as DMA and only 20 second walk away), the guy behind the counter (which I feel could be the owner and not a staff? don't quote me on that though) is always very nice and helpful but the floor staff is a bit more pushy which I don't like as well.

The other issue I think is that HK staff in general are usually very superficial, if you hang a pair of nice CIEM around your neck before going into a new store you've never been to they'll probably treat you differently. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #288 of 471
It does depend on people. People who lives in Hong Kong should know that sales staff turn around is very quick so a bad experience a few months ago really doesn't mean much. Personally I had a very poor experience at Jaben many years ago but went back recently to give them another chance and they are ok now so I reset my opinion of them back to neutral. On the other hand I had always had excellent experience at DMA myself both at the Mong Kok store and the Wanchai store (though I mainly go to Wanchai, the MK store is too busy and always changing lower level staff which leads to poor service IMO, but there're two old timers I know by face and they are always nice). I'd also recommend Let's Go Audio at Wanchai (same building as DMA and only 20 second walk away), the guy behind the counter (which I feel could be the owner and not a staff? don't quote me on that though) is always very nice and helpful but the floor staff is a bit more pushy which I don't like as well.

Thanks for telling me your personal experiences, Where is Let's Go Audio, are you referring the inside the computer mall.

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #289 of 471
Thanks for telling me your personal experiences, Where is Let's Go Audio, are you referring the inside the computer mall.

Yeah it's on the same floor (second floor) as DMA at the Wanchai Computer Mall.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #290 of 471
I ordered mine from Jaben HK also, since the date when I went to order at Mingo their lift was out of order and they are at the 9th floor.....

I usually went to Mingo 9/F or Jaben HK due to much less people disturbing (both staff and other customers). I never notice any staff watching me during my audition, maybe because I am too concentrate on the music and testing :L3000:

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #291 of 471
I ordered mine from Jaben HK also, since the date when I went to order at Mingo their lift was out of order and they are at the 9th floor.....

I usually went to Mingo 9/F or Jaben HK due to much less people disturbing (both staff and other customers). I never notice any staff watching me during my audition, maybe because I am too concentrate on the music and testing :L3000:
Thanks for letting me know, I do agree, these up stairs shop does tend to be much quieter, I'm not against any of them, just saying that was my experience, and if other do get a better experience, that is good, but I could be the odd one not being one of them:sweat:.

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #293 of 471
I think Sony has put themselves in a position, forcing people to buy this or the new IER Z1R, I'm just curious on how the IER Z1R compares to the JE MH2, which has just recently been released, with a price differences of about HKD 3000.

TBH, I prefer the design of the JE, but since i'm in Japan in November for a new pair of IEM, I can try it out, I haven't even tried the JE yet.

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #294 of 471
I think Sony has put themselves in a position, forcing people to buy this or the new IER Z1R, I'm just curious on how the IER Z1R compares to the JE MH2, which has just recently been released, with a price differences of about HKD 3000.

TBH, I prefer the design of the JE, but since i'm in Japan in November for a new pair of IEM, I can try it out, I haven't even tried the JE yet.

Not really. People who buy universals and CIEM don't really overlap. I know for a fact that many simple don't want to go custom and prefers buying universals purely for the fact that they know they they'll get upgrade-tius and will be selling old gear for funds to use for new gear, and thus many has already asked for a universal JE. The IER Z1R seems to be exactly the response for those who will never buy CIEM but rather want a TOTL universal IEM.

Me? I'm pretty much the opposite of that group. No universal has really interested me ever since I got the MH1. The KSE1200 is the exception only because it is an electrostatic system.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #295 of 471
Now I have a choice, the M9 and M7 is out, because I'm not paying that amount for a Thailand made product, so it's the JE MH2 or the Z1R, I'll just have to try both, non of my IEM are for trade in, I keep them all.

I'm not in a rush so I have plenty of time to decide.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #296 of 471
Hi everyone, just a new guy here.

After read from this thread and had a tried in Sony store(CWB) last week, I placed the order and go for the MH2(listening), got the molds done yesterday so now is the long waiting...
*This is my first experience on the CIEM and quite interesting.

Thanks for all of you guys comments and reviews since those are really helpful, especially nanaholic, I read your long post about the MH1 in Post76 which is really awesome, unfortunately go to Tokyo few times for it still not ideal for me~

Aug 19, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #297 of 471
Not really. People who buy universals and CIEM don't really overlap. I know for a fact that many simple don't want to go custom and prefers buying universals purely for the fact that they know they they'll get upgrade-tius and will be selling old gear for funds to use for new gear, and thus many has already asked for a universal JE. The IER Z1R seems to be exactly the response for those who will never buy CIEM but rather want a TOTL universal IEM.

Me? I'm pretty much the opposite of that group. No universal has really interested me ever since I got the MH1. The KSE1200 is the exception only because it is an electrostatic system.

indeed they are for very different audiences, esp if you are a hardcore sony stan. Just Ears' lineage is one that is traced back to the EX series in that it's project leader/engineer is the same person (Bandai San) who's tuning is a lot more in line with "linear/diffuse field" principles. Whereas the flagship Z series is tuned by an entirely different sensibility in mind, and same goes for the new BA stage monitors, which are again tuned with a different sensibility. In ways, like most japanese congolmerates, each team could almost been treated as independent subbrands, with very different sensibilities, targets and goals.

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #298 of 471
Now I have a choice, the M9 and M7 is out, because I'm not paying that amount for a Thailand made product, so it's the JE MH2 or the Z1R, I'll just have to try both, non of my IEM are for trade in, I keep them all.

I'm not in a rush so I have plenty of time to decide.
It seems like you and I have the same thinking.

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #299 of 471
I finally tried the MH2 at CWB Sony store, I came out very disappointing, don't get me wrong, it's the actual earpieces, it seems too big for my ears, I can't even get half the ear piece in, although I do admit the SQ is the best I heard from a IEM, even though it doesn't fit in, you can clearly tell the SQ, I tried the listening, and also had the Monitor one out to try, but didn't try the monitor, knowing the fit isn't right.

The staff say he wouldn't suggest me to get the JE, although custom made, you can only make if so so small, and to fit the BA and DD in, it will still be too big, he did say, that if the molding process doesn't work out, I can get a full refund, although they will probably cancel the molding once the see it not going to work.

I have tried they M9, although good, and very comfortable, the SQ just doesn't come close to the JE, just waiting to try the Z1R, but going by the size, it does seem quite big, then it leaves me to consider the Z1R after trying, or the M9, although I will try not buy the M9, going by the price, and made in Thailand, I'd rather just stick with my EX600, EX800, EX1000 and the Xelento.

Anyway, thank nanholic for all the information.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #300 of 471
I finally tried the MH2 at CWB Sony store, I came out very disappointing, don't get me wrong, it's the actual earpieces, it seems too big for my ears, I can't even get half the ear piece in, although I do admit the SQ is the best I heard from a IEM, even though it doesn't fit in, you can clearly tell the SQ, I tried the listening, and also had the Monitor one out to try, but didn't try the monitor, knowing the fit isn't right.

The staff say he wouldn't suggest me to get the JE, although custom made, you can only make if so so small, and to fit the BA and DD in, it will still be too big, he did say, that if the molding process doesn't work out, I can get a full refund, although they will probably cancel the molding once the see it not going to work.

I have tried they M9, although good, and very comfortable, the SQ just doesn't come close to the JE, just waiting to try the Z1R, but going by the size, it does seem quite big, then it leaves me to consider the Z1R after trying, or the M9, although I will try not buy the M9, going by the price, and made in Thailand, I'd rather just stick with my EX600, EX800, EX1000 and the Xelento.

Anyway, thank nanholic for all the information.

I don't think the staff knows what he is talking about, as the DD is NOT suppose to fit fully in your ears, rather it hangs outside. The only thing you have to worry about is the single BA which does need to get very close to the ear canal and needs to sit in the concha part of the outer ear.

You can check the fitted JE photos below:
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=j...AUIDigB&biw=1600&bih=710#imgrc=bC5eL6YO9MFhzM:

You should ask the appointed audiotologist for Just ear in Hong Kong, they are fully trained by Sugano-san of Tokyo Hearing Center, they will give you a much more informed opinion rather than the people at the store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back