Sony Altus Stereo Headphones MDR-D777LP
Feb 21, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 18
IIRC jjcha has a pair, you might want to drop him a PM.

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC jjcha has a pair, you might want to drop him a PM.

I found a thread using the Search function. Are these at all similar to my MDR-D77's? Do they have the evap diamond diaphragms?

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 18
From my personal experience, I was about to buy the Altus D777SL (short cord 0.5m + ext. 1.0m) Japanese version but after reading extensive reviews on both D777LP/SL here, google...the sound quality isn't as amazing as its stated specs. It's lacking low frequency impacts/extensions from the reviews I read. It has crisp mids to highs. The sound quality factor is going to vary by a great extend by which music type you listen to. However, when comes to comfort level, this one scores to be one of the most comfortable full-sized headphones on the list for its circum-aural design. Some suggested that it's not worth paying $150LP or $180SP version for the overall satisfaction you get back. The open/close swich doesn't differ much in terms of its sound issolation, but while closed some pointed out a "warmer" bass is presented. Unless you really like its design as it's the successor to the Eggos from many years ago, the price you'd have to pay for it may opens you with many other great alternatives. I personally really like Audio-Technica for its overall quality/satisfaction
tongue.gif
rice ratio.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiramisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my personal experience, I was about to buy the Altus D777SL (short cord 0.5m + ext. 1.0m) Japanese version but after reading extensive reviews on both D777LP/SL here, google...the sound quality isn't as amazing as its stated specs. It's lacking low frequency impacts/extensions from the reviews I read. It has crisp mids to highs. The sound quality factor is going to vary by a great extend by which music type you listen to. However, when comes to comfort level, this one scores to be one of the most comfortable full-sized headphones on the list for its circum-aural design. Some suggested that it's not worth paying $150LP or $180SP version for the overall satisfaction you get back. The open/close swich doesn't differ much in terms of its sound issolation, but while closed some pointed out a "warmer" bass is presented. Unless you really like its design as it's the successor to the Eggos from many years ago, the price you'd have to pay for it may opens you with many other great alternatives. I personally really like Audio-Technica for its overall quality/satisfaction
tongue.gif
rice ratio.
smily_headphones1.gif

I own two pair of D-77's, and sometimes the headsets themselves transmit some noises (squeeks, etc.). If these new ones use the same kind of drivers, I might want to check them out.

Here's what Sony claims:

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/25720.html

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what Sony claims:

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/25720.html

good finding, but I've already read that article and many other Japanese articles on them including the interview with the Altus' designer, engineer...By reading those official articles, I admit that I was totally convinced until I read the actual reviews from the "users" and I had to make another rapid change to my order through audiocubes. In fact, I'd rather take the actual user's exp into the account more than official claims that Sony announced. I don't mean all their articles are BS but all you get from their official ariticles are only the good parts and you will only hear the down side from actual user comments. I suggest you spend a good hour of research on Altus before purchase to avoid any possible regrets
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 18
i have a pair, been using them since valentines day.i like them now im no audiophile but they come in crisp.now the highs sound high and the lows sound low. now the only problem i find with them is the bass but that just depends on what music your listening to( i listen to a wide array of music).one other i like iem over the over the head and my vmoda bass freq iem hurt my ears now so i have to switch up.these are the most comfortable headsets i have everyowned.thats the reason way i never got into them cause most dont fit right.anyway thats my 2cents.

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 18
actually i bought JJCha's pair. gave em a listen, shipped em to my sister in return for my darth beyers (yay, finally got them back!) - hmm, what can i say. i like the K81DJ better as a portable sealed can. The sony has zero sealed capability outdoors in terms of wind noise, and when you go outside the bass totally disappears. but indoors it does a good job of keeping your tunes away from other folks, tho you can still hear ambients coming in. and they do sound better than, say, Bose Triports, at the same price point. The open/closed switch does nothing. They are comfier than K81DJs tho, and the band is comfy too, and folds up nicely. The profile is too bulky to tuck under a hood. Sony highs are all still there, and yes the lows are nice indoors and the mids are inoffensive. All in all, not a bad can for under 100 bucks, but maybe not for 150.

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 18
These were the first headphones I ever brought back to the store (Circuit City), and I waited right up till the 30-day mark before making that decision. They had some redeeming qualities, but just weren't worth $150 to me. In fact, I couldn't shake a feeling of being a little ripped-off. That said, if you can get them for a hundred or less, they would be a good value. I played them mostly off my iPod 2nd Gen 2G Nano, my PCDP, and off my home stereo system and computer card, and they were efficient enough to handle all of them well.

I really wanted to like these headphones so I could suggest an easy to purchase (at a big-box store) alternative to the Triports at the same price point, and listened to these a ton giving them every chance to prove themselves. Well, here's some impressions:

I felt these sounded very muffled till I got used to their sound. Bright? I cannot say that. But even, that I would give them. They reproduced sound very accurately - at one point in my electronica listening, an older Oberheim synthesizer was playing its classic "Obi" square wave sound, and that is a very definite signature, and these nailed them perfectly - best I'd ever heard any headphones capture. They were nice for a wide range of music, but by that time I had my Shure E4c's and those were just too-much nicer, and even my Portapros sounded better to me - more brightness. Again, though, the Sony Altus sounded very even-handed and had a nice presentation, although it was one you had to get used to if you were accustomed to brighter sounding headphones. However, I did spend hours with these on and did find them enjoyable to listen to. Just not $150 worth enjoyable...

The slide switch did let in outside noises sufficiently so I could hear people talking to me, the phone, etc. but no amazing sound-signature change - just a very, very subtle one. I kept it off (in "closed" position) mostly, as I do not like outside noises being part of my music! (I now own Ultrasone Proline 750's, which I purchased just before bringing the Altus headphones back, and am in love with them mostly now!)

The smooth, even-handed presentation was pleasant, and these were compact enough to be comfortable listening to in bed, for instance. They were not as comfortable as the Prolines (but how could they be?
tongue.gif
) They pinched the backs of my ears just a little, but they were quite tolerable.

They look quite cool, and are good street headphones, clearly made for using with portables. If I could pick up a pair cheaply, say around $80, I might be tempted to get another set to replace those I brought back, but I felt "Bosed" by the price point being $150 - maybe only by association!

Expect a different sound, though. These have angled drivers and slots that allow the sound not to fire directly into the ear and definitely get the entire pinnea involved in the listening, like the Ultrasones do, and that creates a different sort of presentation that takes some getting used to. Personally, I kept wanting to hear "brighter" highs from them, and it kept bothering me till I ultimately brought them back particularly for that reason. You may prefer their sound more than I liked them, though, so try them out - but try to get them at a lower price!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 18
By the way, there were two other threads that I know of that discussed this headphone, and here they are:

Updated Eggo from Sony

New Sony Altus Headphones

I'd like to know myself if there was any other discussion elsewhere. This is a worthy headphone to discuss, and may be available under $100 which would make it a nice portable value, IMO.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbritton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, there were two other threads that I know of that discussed this headphone, and here they are:

Updated Eggo from Sony

New Sony Altus Headphones

I'd like to know myself if there was any other discussion elsewhere. This is a worthy headphone to discuss, and may be available under $100 which would make it a nice portable value, IMO.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Is there anyone here who has the D-77 and this too, to compare them?

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #14 of 18
I listened to a pair of Altus at the Sony store this weekend for a few minutes. They only offer moderate isolation... the bass does disappear in noisy environments. Overall, I think it would be a good $50-75 headphone, but charging $170 CAD for the cans Bose. I'll look for a discounted pair in the USA with the $50 price drop, but I prefer the form factor of the v-moda Vibes for portable listening at the moment.

To me, this is a handy "beater" headphone that you would pick over the existing competitors for its Eggo style or particular sonic characteristics... I actually like the fact that it's not as bassy as some of the other closed portables in this category. Also, they're about half as light as the Sony DJ series of cans and I suspect they have similar drivers - their specs suggest that they'd be perfect for running straight out of a portable player. The aluminum side plates are a nice touch, but hardly justify the stratospheric price.

I hope the price cut doesn't indicate that Sony is cancelling this line of cans entirely. There definitely is a market for this level of can and better in a less-funky format than the SA1000-5000 series. The build quality is decent - they don't feel like they'll snap right away, but they also don't feel like premium-quality audio equipment due to the lightweight plastics used. I'd definitely be interested in hearing subsequent cans in this lineup, if any are forthcoming.

eggosmile.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 18
Hey guys,

this is my first post (thank goodness the forum is back up and running!), but I just wanted to comment of the D777SL's that I got from Jun Ibaraki and the good folks at "buyfromjapan" on eBay. I think these headphones are definitely great in some forms of music, and are in some cases worth the purchase price of them (but certainly not $170.00!!!), now I am no audiophile, and I feel it's just a shame that Sony pulled the plug so quickly on the LP version (I prefer the SL/SP JE versions anyways) here in the States.

Well, that is Sony for you, always shooting themselves in the foot, i.e.: putting our great equipment like the MD and Hi-MD Walkmen and the ATRAC format for 15 years, and then putting restrictions on it (DRM, SCMS on consumer-level units, etc.).

I don't think Sony is making a wise move making this a "one-year-only model", they should have at least explored the possibility of building a whole family of Altus HD phones before pulling the series altogether, and work on new and improved (like Tide) versions of it in the short future. Hey we can only hope, but not a bad debut a all, it may not be perfect, but it certainly sounds better than my old MDR-NC6s did, and have better frequency response when compared side-by-side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back