Sony aims to produce rival to iPod
Nov 6, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Another article [The Register]. As mentioned in it (and blueice's above stats)...

frown.gif
The device in the top right corner is the PSP Universal Media Disc (UMD), a DVD-like dual-layer medium offering 1.8GB of storage. UMD comes with DVD-style region coding and copy-protection mechanism based on the Advanced Encryption System (AES). Each disc has a unique ID number too.

tongue.gif
The PSP will feature Dolby 7.1 multi-channel audio, with 3D sound. It will support MP3, AAC and Sony's own ATRAC3 sound formats. It uses AVC (H.264) and MPEG4 for video. The machine's UMD media can hold up to two hours' of DVD-quality video or four hours 'standard' quality, whatever that is.

so how do you get the stuff ON the disc is the question
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #32 of 37
They'll probably make you buy every UMD and if lucky enough come out with a recorder in the future but certainly not during the initial launch I think... There will be priated discs without a doubt hehe

Okay I've found the book on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...60754?v=glance

It's a rather nice book I might add, it has all the pics from the spirit project too...

So now you know why the PSP has soooooo many features... cuz they're all probably addon modules... argh!!! Haha so 60 bucks is probably just the base unit with nothing! I wonder if they got the idea from the McD's Happy Meal or Transformers...

Nov 6, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #33 of 37
To me, the PSP really doesn't sound like something that is going to have any writable disk capability. Consoles producers bank on the fact that console games are tough to crack -- there's no way to simply copy a game and and play it on your console. Generally, you actually have to buy or rent the games you play legally.

As soon as you allow people to write to the disks you use, you open yourself up to allowing people to make cracked games. And cracks would kill the bottom line, because they are losing money on the hardware. I don't imagine they would do this. I expect they are thinking of selling music (and videos) for this player rather than allowing people to copy their own stuff on to it.

I don't see how this is a Ipod killer or a minidisc killer, even, without a hard drive (or even a MemoryStick slot.). The Nintendo people are the folks who really need to worry here.

These stories are really confusing, though -- $60 seems cheap for a gaming machine, when the new Gameboys are selling pretty darn well for a higher price. I think this looks like two different gadgets.

Nov 6, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by evh7
I don't see how this is a Ipod killer or a minidisc killer, even, without a hard drive (or even a MemoryStick slot.). The Nintendo people are the folks who really need to worry here.

Yes, read the spec carefully, it does support memory stick and have the following

Wireless LAN (802.11)
IrDA (Infrared Data Association)
USB 2.0
Memory Stick

I even suspect that the PSP is UMD writable or there can be a built in hard drive which can be use to store music, game setting, etc. Why? because of the fact it supports so many formats as well as transfer methods.

What's the point for USB 2.0 if you can't move data from computer to the player. Remember the device can function as player for video, music, and game, which is impossible for Sony to sell all these only on UMD and maintain a large variety for all consumers.

Nov 6, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #35 of 37
okay, missed the line about the memory stick, and that would give folks some music playback options. But I suspect that the USB and infrared ports and especially the wireless lan are there with gaming in mind rather than loading tons of music and pictures.

sony has announced that it's releasing a new application to allow memory sticks to store full motion video, and who knows if they're going to try to use that for psp. they've also made the announcement that they're planning to develop music and video content for UMD. with both this device and the PSP, they're pushing new formats -- and why wouldn't distributors buy into them if they've got great copy protection?

Nov 7, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #36 of 37
The one thing I really don't get... how come the Clie UX50 is selling for $$$ when the PSP seems to be more capable?!? I mean the UX50 is not exactly cheap, listed at $1000CAD at the local Sony Store here in Canada...

Nov 7, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #37 of 37
This was an *investment comunity* targeted announcement. Some hype for them. Ain't no way in hell they'l have anything useful for $60 that you or I would buy. More like $200, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back