Sony A816 vs Sony S616 vs Creative Zen 4GB.
Feb 23, 2008 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so I am planning to sell my 30gb iPod, as my main source at home is going to be my computer through my HPM 1500's and I really don't need a 30gb iPod for the 4 gigs I'm able to listen to. So basically I'm looking for a better sounding portable dap to replace it for under $140, and I have narrowed it down to these three. It's mainly for music, but I'll occasionally watch videos. So vote please
biggrin.gif

BTW, I used to own a Creative Zen Vision: M and I liked the SQ on it.

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 21
I prefer the 616 (and own it) because it has FM radio and I prefer the looks of it (I know I'm in the minority opinion on the looks).

That said, I wouldn't want to watch any videos on a screen so small. It would hurt my 39 year old eyes after 15 minutes or so. If videos are a must I would look for something with a bigger screen.

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 21
Yeah, that was one of my main things, I don't watch videos that often, and if I do, it's not for a long time. I do have one question...the S616 looks as if it has a touch control pad. Is this true, or is it a physical button that just looks like its touch?

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 21
Have you considered the D2?

I'm trying to sell off my 4gb Zen at the moment because I didn't like the sound quality and scouring for a D2 to replace it.

D2 seems like a mix of both worlds, better sound quality than the Zen and a bigger screen than the Sony.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 21
The Sony has one of the best headphone amplification I've ever heard. The sound enhancements even do wonders for my music. I like the looks of the 616 more. the only thing I like on the 816 over the 616 is that the headphone jack is on the bottom of the 816. But I love my 618.

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the D2?

I'm trying to sell off my 4gb Zen at the moment because I didn't like the sound quality and scouring for a D2 to replace it.

D2 seems like a mix of both worlds, better sound quality than the Zen and a bigger screen than the Sony.

I did, and the Clix2, too, but it's way over my price range, I was fighting myself to even consider spending over $120.

Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony has one of the best headphone amplification I've ever heard. The sound enhancements even do wonders for my music. I like the looks of the 616 more. the only thing I like on the 816 over the 616 is that the headphone jack is on the bottom of the 816. But I love my 618.

Yeah, I do kinda like the looks of the s600 series better, but I'm opposite as I like the top headphone jack. It seems this is what I'll be getting. Does this have drag and drop, you know, so I can still use iTunes and just drag the songs into windows ex.?

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that was one of my main things, I don't watch videos that often, and if I do, it's not for a long time. I do have one question...the S616 looks as if it has a touch control pad. Is this true, or is it a physical button that just looks like its touch?

It's physical, no touch pad.

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did, and the Clix2, too, but it's way over my price range, I was fighting myself to even consider spending over $120.

You might want to check out eBay for the A816. This is one of the few times I've seen electronics going for lower than retail. Just bought a completely new A816 for ~$90 shipped last week.

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 21
Wait, what about the Cowon iAUDIO 7? I know it has a pretty screwy interface, but I always liked the sound from my U3 when I had it? 8gb one goes for $125 on amazon. Also, people who vote, can you tell why, please?

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 21
I'm actually still contemplating whether I want to sell my iPod. I do because I want a smaller size and space, but I love the sound out of the iPod, so what do you guys think. If I end up doing that, I will go with one of the Sony's, but what about the sound of a nano? How does that do?

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 21
I've seen a lot of good raves about the Sansa Clip. One thing, I love not having to spend more than I need, and $80 for whenever the 4gb one comes out is perfect, or I can just get a 2gb. I'm basically in it for drag and drop, SQ, and at least a screen to get to what I want to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back