Sony 7506/V6 questions :::
May 23, 2002 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

badtz

100+ Head-Fier
After doing the velour ear pad modification, how exactly is the sound different? better/worse, describe?

the only worthy [slight] difference between the two is the gold/silver plugs.........

does this translate into audiable differences?

are there any advantages in gold plugs versus silver plugs? why?

thanks!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

*about to get me one of these phones for home studio recording purposes!!!*

also, anyone with suggestions on a headphone amp to power these?

will that bring out better sound?

thanks!

May 23, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 28
the gold plugs make it less corrosive, so ur plug will last longer, that and if u twist it around a lot, it wont cause as much static (from what ive observed/kno)

May 23, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 28
Gold plugs do not directly improve sound, but they help prevent corrosion, and so they stay 'scratchy free' longer.

The velour pads don't seem to change the sound. The actual foam that covers the driver is the same (you remove it from the original pads, and put it under the new pads). The only difference is that the drivers are ever so slightly farther away from your ears. People don't do the velour pads mod for sound reasons, they do it for comfort. The velour pads make these phones some of the most comfortable I've ever worn.

I own the 7506, and I don't think there is any appreciable difference between it and the V6. At least, none that would justify a doubling of price. I suggest getting the V6 unless you find the 7506s at a very good price (I got mine used).

peace,
phidauex

May 23, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 28
In terms of the V6/7506 comparison, they are exactly the same headphone. The only difference is the color of the plug. They sound exactly the same.

May 24, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 28
* no sound difference from the velour mod.

1. even though the gold plugs don't "sound" better, how much longer will they last with them? and since they last longer, wouldn't the silver colored ones degrade in sonic quality over time, versus the gold ones, which stays cleaner longer?

2. any suggestions on headphone amps? do these phones need them? [when driven off a mixer or portable?]

May 24, 2002 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Badtz
[B2. any suggestions on headphone amps? do these phones need them? [when driven off a mixer or portable?] [/B]

I own the 7506's, the gold plug is still intact after a year and i expect it to stay like that for many more years to come.

As for amps, its not really necessary, some say it'll help a bit, but i never really bothered, i own both JMT amps (altoids and cmoy).

I use my 7506's with my Minidisc portable and various pcdp's and receiver, sounds great out of all of them.

Go with the V6's, they're cheaper (roughly $60 online) and lots of studios use them for mixing.

May 24, 2002 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Badtz
would it be a waste for me to invest in an additional amp for the 7506/v6 ?

Hmm, good question, honestly you dont need one for the V6's. Although some folks have found the cmoy or altoids to tame the brightness on the V6's.

May 24, 2002 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 28
What do you mean by 'waste'?

The 7506/V6 definately sounds better with an amp. ALL headphones sound better with a headphone amplifier. The question, given your current situation is, HOW much better, and is it worth the expense and hassle of yet another piece of equipment. And, how important is sound quality to you, really?

I use my 7506s with a portable SlimX mp3/cd player. It works well out of the headphone out. It sounds better with my cmoy. Not a LOT better, but definately better. I would rate the 7506/v6 as a headphone that doesn't 'need' amplification to sound good. the HD600 'needs' that extra amplification to sound good. However, the 7506/v6 does improve with amplification.

Where are you going to be using it? Portable players and mixers? It will run fine out of either, and you'll probably be happy with the sound. The portable player will show a good improvement if you add a portable amp like a total airhead or a porta corda, or a diy cmoy or cha47 or a JMT built amp, etc. However, the cost may not be worth it to you. But if best sound is your goal, then the amplifier will have to be added. If very good sound on a budget is your goal, then you can drop the amplifier. As far as the mixer, what kind of mixer are you using? Most mid-highend mixers have very good headphone stages as it is. My Allen and Heath had a great one, the soundcraft boards I've used were decent, and my mackie has a surprisingly good headphone amp, considering the mediocre quality of the rest of the board. If you have anything even higher end, like a Midas, or an API, they have headphone amps rivaling most serious hi-fi gear. So anyway, while a nice headphone amp will probably improve the headphone out on your mixer, you'd probably have to get a considerably more expensive amp to see serious improvement, and that cost is probably not worth it to you at this time, in a studio environment, you'd probably be better off putting that money toward better monitors/mics/etc.

So anyway, my recommendation for a good price/performance ratio is to get a basic portable amp for your portable use, like a total airhead, porta corda, JMT amp, or a DIY amp, and while in the studio, just use the headphone out on the mixer.

Peace,
phidauex

May 24, 2002 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 28
thanks for the all the input!

I'm still undecided about my headphones, but I think I'll definitely put $$$ aside for a portable amp..........

does a DIY cha47/cmoy amp power all the different ohm headphones? or do you need to design one specifically for a specific headphone?

May 25, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 28
Badtz:

I find that the velour pads, because they are thicker than the stock pads, place the drivers farther from your ears, which will reduce the bass a bit and increase the treble a bit. Also, the soundstage will sound a bit wider and more relaxed. It won't be a night and day difference, but it may actually improve your enjoyment of the headphones. The main reason you get the Beyer velour pads is to increase the comfort of the headphone, which is more than a subtle difference from the stock pads.

The V6's benefit from an outboard amp, mainly because the bass on these headphones can sound boomy and tubby and uncontrolled without one. An outboard amp will tighten up the bass and make it more harmonious with the rest of the frequencies. If you will be using the V6's mostly at home or in quiet environments, you will appreciate the additional sonic benefits an amp will provide.

There are many different variables when designing a headphone amplifier. An amp tailored to low impedance headphones will generally give you more satisfaction than one designed to work with headphones of most common impedances. There are several threads you can search for that discuss various design issues of amps and what components go into making amps for various models of headphones. There will be lots of technical jargon you may not understand, but sift through it and you will learn lots to make a more informed decision when you decide to buy (or build!) an amp.

May 25, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 28
My experiences with V6s and amps are that they sound great from a portable opamp based amp (JMT built, ect), but when plugged into a more powerful amp, they get very anilitical. I find them a bit more fun to listen to from a less than amazing amp, but if you want to hear every last detail (hey, these are made for monitoring), a more powerful amp will do better.

May 25, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 28
Hi, I have the V6's and have the stock pads. Sometimes when I wear them, they get my ears really hot and I need to take them off for a bit every few minutes. I really want to get the Beyer DT250 Pads. I have a couple of questions.
confused.gif

1. Do they affect the BASS at all? If so, how much? I am a BASSHEAD and listen to lots of Rap and R&B and need my BASS
wink.gif

2. I live in Canada, and was wondering if they would deliver to Canada. Is the only place you can order them from www.beyerdynamic.com ?

3. Anyone know how much they cost?

4. Will they fix my heating up problem? Are they a WHOLE lot more comfortable?

5. Anyone that has them, how exactly do I take off the stock pads and how do I put on the new ones? Is it easy? I have no idea how to take them off
wink.gif

6. One LAST question, which ones are they at the Beyer site, either the "Ear Cushions Pair" or the "Ear Cushions Pair made of Softskin". The latter sounds more confortable, but the I've heard someone say that the VELOUR's are the other ones.

Thanks a LOT for your time guys! Please respond!

May 25, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 28
Hey Nifu,

A few months ago I ordered a pair, and I'm from Canada so maybe I can help you out.

1. The difference in quality is barely noticeable (that is, a very negligible reduction in bass), in my opinion, especially if you take the foam from the stock pads and place it over the transducer and underneath the Beyer pads. You can always ask others on this forum for other types of mods to help you get the results you want
wink.gif

2. You can place an order from Canada by calling 1-(800) 293-4463.

3. They cost $32.25 CDN at the time I purchased them.

4. They will fix the hot/sweaty ear problem and will be very comfortable compared to the original pads. I can go 4+ consecutive hours easily with the Beyer pads, whereas I had to take half-hour/hourly breaks with the stock pads.

5. The stock pads are easy to take off. If you place your fingers underneath the pads from the inside and lift up, they will come off. Putting the Beyer pads on might be a struggle at first, but it isn't too difficult.

6. Don't order the softskin or the normal pads listed for the DT250 headphone on the website. Order the velour pads (item #442.704).

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

May 25, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 28
Hey Bizz, Welcome to Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll just add my $0.02...

I haven't done the Beyer mod, but I have to say that my setup in my signature (down below) really does up the performance of the V6...

They just keep getting better and better... I can't believe that something so cheap can keep up admirably when the rest of the system is around 15 times more expensive...

I just can't stop listening to them, well the whole setup... all of my CDs are being re-listened to ~ its a great experience
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back