Sony 7506 questions.
Nov 2, 2002 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Davie

1000+ Head-Fier
I've decided to give the Sony7506's a try. A couple of questions first. Are they easily driven by a portable? And does anybody know of retail outlets in New York City where they're available?

Thanks.

Nov 2, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 13
They are EASILY driven by a portable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Davie
I've decided to give the Sony7506's a try. A couple of questions first. Are they easily driven by a portable?
Thanks.

Nov 2, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks!

Nov 2, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 13
I'll second that. I just got the 7506s recently, from Sam Ash even. Their price is 99.99, but they did a price match for me and took it down to 89.99. The lower price was from etronics.com, and I believe they have a physical store in the city.

And yes, the 7506s are definitely useable from a portable, although they don't go very loud on either of mine (Sony D-365 and a Panasonic SL-SW860).

Nov 2, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Jackangel
And yes, the 7506s are definitely useable from a portable, although they don't go very loud.

Um, they go extremely loud from my MD player.

JandR doesn't sell them.

Nov 2, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 13
I just bought a pair last week. Still trying to decide if I'm going to keep them, although I'm leaning strongly towards it. Anyway, they play plenty loud from my PCDP and MD while maintaining decent sound quality from the respective headphone outs.

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 13
B&H has them for $89.99 (they have to email their "too low to publish" actual selling price. They have them set up on dispay to listen too and compare with other HPs that they carry.

Nov 3, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 13
I picked the 7506's up yesterday at Sam Ash for $99.99 (wish I had known that they would match prices).

My first impression was: really clear! My second impression was REALLY bright!!!

At first I found the sound offputting, but after a few hours I've been getting used to it. It's pretty amazing how much your ears adjust to the particular frequency response of the equipment you're using.

I'm not sure yet, but these probably have a place for me. If nothing else, they're very comfortable, look sturdy, and fold up compactly.

Can anybody tell me if they change with burn in?

Nov 3, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Davie asks:

(Hah!! My chance to show I have learned something here on Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I don't have the 7506's, but I can tell you this: Headphones change tremendously with burn-in!! I didn't realize how much until I found hear-fi'ers writing about it. I tried it and was AMAZED.

I have a pair of AKG-270's that were pretty highly recommended when I bought them a couple of years ago. (There are the ones with 2 transducers in each earpiece.) I didn't use them much, though, because they sounded so flat, mushy, dull. I've been burning them in over the last few days, and the difference in sound quality is major.

The soundstage has increased; the highs are distinct; the midtones are bright; the bass is much more tolerable.

I've also burned-in other phones and found the sound quality changes majorly.

So, do it, Davie. And thanks to all the members of this sig for all the useful (and frequently fun) information they make available.

Nov 3, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Davie

That ultra brightness will calm down and the bass should become more distinct. Give it at least 2-3 weeks of burn-in (2-3 hrs a day). Then get those beyer velour pads for ultimate comfort.

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
That ultra brightness will calm down and the bass should become more distinct. Give it at least 2-3 weeks of burn-in (2-3 hrs a day).

These things are really beginning to mellow out after about a week. Sign me up for Team 7506! I'm definitely hearing things that I never noticed before, even with my trusty Grado SR-60s.

The 7506's also confirm my feeling that I've been getting quite good results with my MP3's encoded at a high VBR. I was afraid that a really detailed set of phones would reveal the warts, but quite the opposite is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back