Sonos setup issues
May 12, 2020 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gerelmx1986

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello folks,

Last year around November/december, before the COVID thing 'exploded out of control', we got a pair of SONOS Sinfonisk (sonos/ikea) speakers to try them. We had great expectations, specially my hubby who'd not so computer savvy, we expected easy "throw whatever file you have and forget about it, enjoy the music"... well it has been more of a slamming-my-head-against-the-wall experience. I have 58634 tracks (16 and 24-bit FLAC and as well DSD). He's gotten like 9000 MP3 files, we've read that sonos app has a limit of 65000 files

What have we tried so far
*sony media go-> didn't stream flac, just a loop of buffering... next track and repeats.. so I chose in menu, share files and convert Hi-res audio to 16/44 as well this didn't work. Lastly tried convert on the fly to mp3. Eureka!! Well not sooo fast... damn, it plays only one sonos (mono) at a time.

*Sony music center for pc-> no sonos support

Windows explorer context menu cast to... sonos-> didn't work with flac (tried both 16 and 24 bit, no luck) ignores DSD, worked with mp3 and aac, the thing is time wasting with converting what I want to listen to mp3/aac

*WMP (Windows media player): see above windows explorer right click cast to...

*VLC -> No sonos support

&sonos controller for windows-> pkay nice with 16/44.1 flac, doesn't play 24-bit, ignores .dsf extension (DSD files) plus the file limit of 65000 files.

We read about roon , typical American way of.like if you've got a credit/loan pay 9.99 each month. We are not so into this

We read about plex media server, but then he barked.

He doesn't want to turn on the PC in order to stream the files to the sonos.

My question goes then, can plex work as offline (computer off) or is there a NAS that works with alexa and sonos with no PC turned on (ideally only the smartphone sonos app).
If such a NAS server exists can it auto transcode my Hi-res content to what sonos likes ?( my plan is to have a 2nd option of my library as 16/44.1 flac or as lossy mp3/AAC.

I haveseriousky thought of just returning or selling the speakers
Thanks for your advice

May 12, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 3
Today I tried the VLC stream trick.
It works with flac but you must set as mp3 transcode in order to work.

So in VLC choose media > stream. In the window choose your file. Click next on destination choose HTTP.
Click add, on the URL text field type for example /myradiotest.mp3 you can just type anything but must end in .mp3. Close
Click next, on profile choose MP3 Audio (if you opened a flac tick the enable Transcoding checkbox). Next and finally stream.
Open your command line and type ipconfig look for the IPV4 Address.......... 192.168.x.y
Open sonos in windows Manage > add radio station
Type the iPhone address as http;//<your computer ip address>:8080/myradiotest.mp3 or whatever you used in VLC to name your stream. Name the radio station and close.
Go to radio with tunein radio and under my radio stations choose your "sender"

Worked but it stops after playing one file, doesn't continuously play next track.
My husband again barked and said you're doing too complicated stuff

May 12, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 3
We tried adding a media server to our speed port smart, also didn't work... we're ditching sonos for good we think, sony's home theater seems better option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back