SONOS Investment home setup Yay or Nay
Sep 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rm - ottawa

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently had the opportunity to invest in some speakers for the house for the first time. I decided to go with Sonos, but haven't heard too many reviews from knowedgable folk on the product. Am really hoping you can shed some light on this investment decision. I find them enjoyable so far, but they are not cheap and there may be better options out there.

Here is what I purchased:
Sonos Play 5 $450.00
Sonos Play 5 $450.00
Sonos Sub $750.00
Sonos Bridge $50.00

I have been using the Play 5 gropued for left and right stereo separation.

Are there better options out there for the dollar?

Thanks very much in advance for insight,

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 2
So for the left, right and sub, that's a combined $1650.  If you went with a "traditional" amp and speakers setup, what could you get for $1650 and would it sound better?  This assumes you want to use Sonos as your source.  But wait - you're using the Bridge, which tells me the speakers are not in the same room as your internet connection. So you need a Sonos Connect as well for another $350.  That knocks us down to $1300 to spend.

Let's say you went with an integrated amp for $500 and speakers for $800.  One possibility would be the NAD D3020 for $500 (which includes a built-in DAC and will improve Sonos sound).  I use one of these in my 2nd system with a Connect and a pair of Quad 12L  bookshelf speakers ($1100, but the slightly smaller 11L is around $750 I think).  Sounds great, but will you like it more than the all-Sonos setup? Only your ears can decide.

There are plenty of integrated amps and speakers in your price ballpark.  I think you could put together a system that outperforms the Sonos speakers, but it would take up more space and require cabling as well.  Your call!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back