Aug 30, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #121 of 483
I have a USB DAC. The problem is, when I hook it up to my Mac, I get a distinct hum if the Mac is plugged in.

I'm looking for a way to isolate the DAC. THe LANRover looks like it may be the ticket.

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #125 of 483
microrendu has an in-built & improved version of Regen inside so i am not sure what is to gain (if any) by putting an addition usb isolator there...and yes I do have a microRendu so am awared of the usb output.

Note microRendu cannot be connected directly to pc/mac, it must be connected to a wifi router (as it is a renderer).

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #126 of 483
There are reports of the Intona to work well together with the Upton Regen.
And since the Intona offers galvanic isolation it could bring improvements to the party:)
Here is a review

http://www.audiostream.com/content/intona-technology-usb-20-high-speed-isolator#IqKk5bHWY6rdDfTq.97

And here a quote :

'Combing both the High-Speed Isolator and the USB REGEN powered by the linear power supply had a synergistic sonic effect that seemed to combine both of the strong points of each USB device.'

Cheers

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #127 of 483
Hopefully there will be some reviews of combining microRendu & Intona. However it must be noted that microRendu is not an usb isolator type device, it is a renderer and it is feed via LAN cable from wifi rounter & server (NAS or NUC etc) which is much cleaner than pc etc. It is a different scenario to direct feeding from laptop via usb.

I think sonore believes the psu to microRendu is the key to SQ.

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #128 of 483
Hopefully there will be some reviews of combining microRendu & Intona. However it must be noted that microRendu is not an usb isolator type device, it is a renderer and it is feed via LAN cable from wifi rounter & server (NAS or NUC etc) which is much cleaner than pc etc. It is a different scenario to direct feeding from laptop via usb.

Of course the microrendu is not only just an USB Isolator and like you said has an improved version of Regen build in, but I figured it's close enough to point out the synergy :wink:
Reports / reviews of the Intona combined with microRendu would be great and are only a matter of time since we brought it up :D
Cheers

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #130 of 483
@mikeyfresh I have run my unit from a Li battery pack and its super clean sounding, but I felt the bass generally lacked the same heft or underpinning authority as I get even with the iFi iPower. Have you heard all-around improvement going to battery?

I think I've been wanting to see specific impressions before I jump on the new Uptone. In my setup a JS-2 is a better fit anyway.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #132 of 483
I think sonore believes the psu to microRendu is the key to SQ.

From my experience with the µRendu and the HD-Plex psu, I tend to agree.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #133 of 483
Hey MikeyFresh,

Can you provide a link with further infos on the DIY battery pack with no voltage regulators?
Sounds really interesting, since I have similar experiences with of the shelf power banks.

Edit: and there it was... found it :wink:

Cheers

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #134 of 483

I too ran a Li-IO battery pack for a while, and though it was "clean" sounding as you described, I thought both bass and dynamics weren't great. This is likely due to a couple of factors, including Li-IO battery's high internal resistance, and the cheap non-audio purposed voltage regulator employed.

Switching to a DIY NiMH battery I did not have those same issues, and yes, I felt the improvements were across the board. The DIY pack has no voltage regulator at all, and NiMH batteries have extremely low internal resistance.

Thanks @MikeyFresh

Re: internal battery resistance... As Spock would say, "Fascinating." Wish I were able to really delve into electronics the way Swenson gets to, but very cool to read about it here and at CA.

And yeah, like you, I'm saving up for a JS-2. My oddball setup would have it feeding the microRendu and a W4S Remedy (not in-line/serial with each other but on separate signal and server paths).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back