Feb 27, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #241 of 483
When I read this, though, it makes me wonder what an extra $400 towards a DAC would really do for a quality making difference to the level of DAC?

I think that $400 would be better spent on the power supply of the mR as it does (as far as opinions go) make a noticeable difference there. And that difference can carry on to any DAC you use it with.

That's just what I think when I hear that, though, and of course it's all love up in here for everyone on the audio road.

Well, the $400 could put me on the audio road towards a Schiit Bifrost, even a Gungnir...or one of the Audio-GD units (not decided yet)...a significant leap up from my current DAC... Mmmm...DAC or LPS-1 ? ....might have to toss a coin ! 

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #242 of 483
  Well, the $400 could put me on the audio road towards a Schiit Bifrost, even a Gungnir...or one of the Audio-GD units (not decided yet)...a significant leap up from my current DAC... Mmmm...DAC or LPS-1 ? ....might have to toss a coin ! 

My thinking was that you've got a $250 DAC/amp, why go to a $600 one? I don't have a lot of faith in the miracle $600 DAC. You've got a great USB source, so why don't you hold out on the intermediate steps, wait a year to save up if you have to, and go into the $1000-2000 DAC range next? 

I'm just saying, the intermediate steps aren't worth it and you'll be happier and save more money if you hold out for a real component. If real for you, and you've already heard it to confirm it's no longer worth the cost-to-performance increase, stops at a $600 DAC, then go for it. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wanted to say I'd get the PSU for the mRendu and be happy that component is completely taken care of, then invest more heavily when I was really ready for a true DAC upgrade vs. a marginal one.

In saying that, if the mRendu is going to be your source of choice, then USB input will be your default input of choice. That means whatever you are looking at better have a good USB input or you'll be losing out and need to get one of the USB fixers or USB->AES or USB->I2s convertors. I'm saying this because you mentioned the Audio-gd units and they're not famous for having a killer USB input. The newer ones with improved Amenero input boards are decent, but still, the people that really like those DACs are using the I2s input... And the upper range Schiit DACs are using the AES input. So, have a good read in this for whatever you do~

Any way you do it, it's all good. Enjoy your gear and the music 
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #243 of 483
Any way you do it, it's all good. Enjoy your gear and the music 
beerchug.gif

Thank-you @Benny-x ... you make good, valid points....certainly food for further thought. I do understand that getting the source as right as possible will eliminate issues down the line. Having read various listening impressions, there appears to be a some divergence on the 'amount' of difference it makes...hence my hesitation.

In your experience, might the LPS-1 remove the bits of 'glare' that I'm still hearing on USB ? I only really noticed it when doing a compare with the SPDIF input from my SB3, when I recently bought the LYR 2 amp. I'm finding myself listening to SPDIF source again, having been in the USB 'camp' for some time.

Enjoying the music is what it's all about !

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #244 of 483
Feb 27, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #245 of 483
  One other suggestion if you are considering a different USB-input DAC.  While tastes may differ, I'd strongly suggest you consider DACs that will run "Native DSD" mode with the microRendu.  This is a limited set - see  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-native-direct-stream-digital-support-27418/  You will note that most, but not all, of the major names are there.  

guys please help  me out here on understanding DSD...there is a dearth of DSD material, so why the push for that in DACs?
(btw i do have an iFI micro iDSD and chord mojo...looking at the hugo 2 or sim 280D or benchmark 2 or 3)

it sort of reminds me of SACD: sure it sounded great but that didnt' really go anywhere, either.
or am I missing something....

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #246 of 483

guys please help  me out here on understanding DSD...there is a dearth of DSD material, so why the push for that in DACs?
(btw i do have an iFI micro iDSD and chord mojo...looking at the hugo 2 or sim 280D or benchmark 2 or 3)

it sort of reminds me of SACD: sure it sounded great but that didnt' really go anywhere, either.
or am I missing something....

Some people like to upsample PCM to DSD and like the way it sounds. of course YMMV.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #249 of 483
  Do most leave the mR powered on 24/7?

I leave mine on...I think it's accepted practice... One possible issue is if you power off your DAC...the microRendu might not 'lock-on' to the DAC when its powered back on. Then you would have to  recycle the uR (or re-boot it) ...It happens with my DAC, so I leave both on.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #250 of 483
  I leave mine on...I think it's accepted practice... One possible issue is if you power off your DAC...the microRendu might not 'lock-on' to the DAC when its powered back on. Then you would have to  recycle the uR (or re-boot it) ...It happens with my DAC, so I leave both on.  

My DAC has "standby" mode, so I'll see when I get my LPS-1 if the mR stays locked in this mode.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #252 of 483
  I received shipping confirmation on my LPS-1 today from Uptone! 
smile.gif

I've had mine for a week now...result is, in a word...CLARITY

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #254 of 483
i'm about to hook up the microendu and ultracaps this wkend.
still have to find out what program to choose from it's menu.

I was considering the Sonore DC-4 (cardas)  cable for the ultracaps.
anyone tried it an care to chip in, please?
http://www.sonore.us/DC4.html

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #255 of 483
I haven't tried the DC-4, but I do have a home built, very short, pure silver cable soldered onto Oyaide DC plugs.
Based on that experience, I would say that, if you've gone as far as a microRendu with LPS-1, then it would be criminal for you not to also upgrade the stock DC cable.
The difference in SQ will of course depend on how transparent is the rest of your system. 

All else being equal, I'd expect a pure silver cable to be better than copper in this particular application.
Here is a ready made pure silver one: http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/mains-products/949-mcru-audio-grade-dc-power-cable-.html
Particularly if you live in UK/Europe, this will cost less than the copper Cardas one. I haven't tried this one myself as they don't supply lengths shorter than 0.5m (I have asked).

As I more or less piggy back my mR onto the LPS-1, all I need is a 4 inch link cable and I've made the assumption that shorter is better and should also cost less.

For all I know the DC4 may have  some magic construction that goes beyond simple metal differences, so as always YMMV on the silver vs copper consideration. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back