Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
May 18, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #391 of 1,504
Any one knows whether there's some kind of modular upgrade for the Morpheus itself in the works?

Oh, and, "Father of Morpheus"? A"father" to be born after his own son? and "fathered" his own son? Only in audiophilespeak :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Okay, all jokes aside, I personally cannot afford this new "father-DAC," but I'd be pleased if Cees can drop a few trickle down upgrades upon the "son," from the father.:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:
I guess the design is modular as in the DAC modules are plug and play so we may have future upgrade to modules but it’s been only like 1.5 years since Morpheus launched so we may have to wait a while for the new DAC module

May 19, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #392 of 1,504
So I just hooked up my Morpheus with I2S via Pi2AES (came in today). My god the level of detail and air it brings is a night/day difference. I really didn't expect much. I'm totally floored by the level of change this brought on. Now I want to get some custom power cables for my linear PSU and the Morpheus myself to seal the deal.

May 19, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #394 of 1,504
^^^
Do you use Pi2AES as Roon end-point?
Yes I made my own Ethernet terminal adapter for it. Ropieee is the OS I’m using but there are better ones for lower latency. This one is just the easiest to use.

May 19, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #395 of 1,504
So I just hooked up my Morpheus with I2S via Pi2AES (came in today). My god the level of detail and air it brings is a night/day difference. I really didn't expect much. I'm totally floored by the level of change this brought on. Now I want to get some custom power cables for my linear PSU and the Morpheus myself to seal the deal.
Heck yeah! I have some AudioQuest Z3 power cables on both my Hermes and Morpheus, and they took the performance even further.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #397 of 1,504
Why people are selling it ? I saw four different posts in headfi for selling. There may be more ! Why there are only very few reviews and videos of dac despite so much time after release. There are no measurements either except some in sbaf.

May 27, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #398 of 1,504
Why people are selling it ? I saw four different posts in headfi for selling. There may be more ! Why there are only very few reviews and videos of dac despite so much time after release. There are no measurements either except some in sbaf.
Not sure how many reviews you may be after but there are a few reviews out there if you google it

May 27, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #399 of 1,504
People sell this DAC in the same way they sell terrific headphones like Twin Pulse or Abyss etc ... They need the adrenaline boost trying something new stuff. There is no good reason to sell this DAC, unless you want to upgrade to something very expensive (> 10K$). Another reason could be the false myth of DSDs, but I vote for the first reason.

May 27, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #400 of 1,504
Which sub 5K DAC you don’t see in 2nd hand market?
Anyways NOS is not for everyone, many like DS and vice versa

May 27, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #401 of 1,504
Which sub 5K DAC you don’t see in 2nd hand market?
Anyways NOS is not for everyone, many like DS and vice versa

I'd go so far as to say pretty much every DAC out there has appeared on the used market from time to time... including those which originally cost $10k, $25k, etc. Some people just love trying new stuff regardless, and of course no DAC (or headphone, or amp, etc) is perfect for everyone.

I wouldn't read too much into it either way.

May 28, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #402 of 1,504
There are no measurements either except some in sbaf.
Some measurements have been made over the years for CR’s Dacs (Octave, Hex & Pavane) but can you trust Paul Miller, Martin Colloms, Chris Bryant or their equipment and ability to interpret the data properly ? – “The first thing I did on receiving Pavane was to check its linearity and found the most accurate R2R multi-bit converter I’ve ever measured. The error barely moves off the reference line even @ -120dB (a full 24bits)”.

A measurement Pic of experimental upsampling module – rejected (fb page). But some prefer upsampling ? Either the measurement is wrong or peoples’ hearing is outside the square. Maybe they are both right ? Luckily the best measurement tools on Earth are stuck to our heads.

Double Pic error - can't seem to remove one.

Attachments

• 1622250145213.png
    1622250145213.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Upsampling Module.jpg
    Upsampling Module.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #403 of 1,504
I'd go so far as to say pretty much every DAC out there has appeared on the used market from time to time... including those which originally cost $10k, $25k, etc. Some people just love trying new stuff regardless, and of course no DAC (or headphone, or amp, etc) is perfect for everyone.

I wouldn't read too much into it either way.

I fully agree!

Even though I am not selling my Morpheus, I moved on. I have chosen a different approach, I could get a home demo on a Mola Mola DAC and this was just too good to let go…

Getting some high end gear on demo is super dangerous, but fun as well.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #404 of 1,504
Getting some high end gear on demo is super dangerous, but fun as well.
I second this, thought I would not hear enough difference in Bartók to warrant its price, yet after 5 minutes of demoing it at home, I placed an order.

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #405 of 1,504
I have the MQA module as well and don’t listen to
MQA. I didn’t get the l2S because I use a USB/SPDIF converter and then AES/EBU digital cable.
I urge you to try I2s. Much better than AES. I tried SPDIF and AES with many 110 ohm cables of different lengths (Grimm TPR, Mogami 3080, Sommer Cabokarb…) and my conclusion is clear: I2s is best. More natural, much more dynamic, better timbre…etc.

I also tried the USB + DDC route… Jcat XE with LPS (Jcat Optimo Duo or Uptone Js2) then Gustard U16, Audio GD DI20, with Uptone USB Isoregen + another separate LPS, Oyaide USB cable etc etc… you name it…. I2s is the way to go! Everything suddenly falls into place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back