Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
May 8, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #362 of 1,504
I would email Sonnet to inquire. I had the MQA card in my review loaner but only tried it a handful of times via USB, and perhaps later with I2S from the Hermes. I want to say I2S worked but I honestly don't recall completely. I don't have much interest in MQA so it wasn't something I spent much time/effort on.

If I2S works with it, that would be the ideal connection, for MQA and all other types as well. But again, I'd shoot an email to Sonnet before making any concrete plans.

May 8, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #363 of 1,504
The MQA debate is raging currently thanks to this video which most have probably seen :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mqa-deep-dive-i-published-tracks-on-tidal-to-test-mqa.957306/

No special connection is necessary but I2S is the obvious choice - from any device with RJ45 wiring. I have never bothered with MQA - burned too many times with formats & (so called) Hires downloads in the past - which could not improve on my CD discs :

Opinions suggest the first unfold is just upsampling – DIY. The 2nd maybe DRM and further upsampling ? If it’s a genuine Native Hires recording that is available, then hopefully that is what you get ? Only recent recordings are likely for that. HiFiCritic found for higher res DSD that nearly all are just upsampled and almost impossible to confirm provenance.

So many recordings being sold as Hires are just upsampled. HiFiNews have been exposing this for years and what you get (you can’t hear it anyway) above 20-22kHz is often noise and spuriae. Noise can be pleasing to the ear though. A couple of example/demo music tests :

May 12, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #365 of 1,504
I got the Morpheus a couple weeks ago. 400mA fuse was kinda hard to get for us 110v peeps. But was able to get a few extra made special for this DAC,. They may have been quantum tunneled treated. 1st 3 peeps CONUS PM ME, Will send you a fuse. I will pay postage. Just got more back than expected. If you like them let me know. These are not for sale.

May 12, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #366 of 1,504
I got the Morpheus a couple weeks ago. 400mA fuse was kinda hard to get for us 110v peeps. But was able to get a few extra made special for this DAC,. They may have been quantum tunneled treated. 1st 3 peeps CONUS PM ME, Will send you a fuse. I will pay postage. Just got more back than expected. If you like them let me know. These are not for sale.
What’s your experience as compared to original fuse ?

May 12, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #367 of 1,504
Stock fuse sucks IMO compared to Audio Grade fuses. Had an Ultimate from Audio Magic 250 bucks in for a couple weeks. Very Musical. Even got a Hi-fi tuning Supreme. But in this case I prefer an organic sound. All my gear have SR fuses. Have tried many fuses and even had a shootout at one of the Seattle Meet. Verteran Fuse Roller.

May 15, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #368 of 1,504
Loving every second with this streamer and DAC combo.

20210515_072449.jpg

May 15, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #369 of 1,504

20210515_072449.jpg

Wish I had a chance to listen to that combo! Though I think it'd also be so much nicer if he made the streamer in the same form factor as the morpheus.

May 15, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #370 of 1,504

20210515_072449.jpg
Very nice setup! I still wonder how it compares to Rockna Wavelight or XI Audio Sagra DAC's.

May 15, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #373 of 1,504
It's very hard finding any comparative information on the Sonnet and the Rockna. There's even less information on the Sagra DAC in general, which makes any comparison unlikely. Unless someone has heard all three and can shed some light on their sound.

May 15, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #374 of 1,504
Wish I had a chance to listen to that combo! Though I think it'd also be so much nicer if he made the streamer in the same form factor as the morpheus.

I had considered that as well. Might look better in some systems, but worse in others who need the space.

Then again I think it looks ridiculous when you look inside a component which clearly doesn't need all that room:
Bryston-BDA-1-DAC-top.jpg

So I have mixed feelings about it.

May 16, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #375 of 1,504
Hi All, been trying to read as much as possible on the forums and getting thoughts and impressions on the Morpheus. I’m looking to purchase a DAC and debating between the Morpheus and the Audiobyte Hydra stack. Different technologies and approaches from what I understand unfortunately I’m in a location where I will not be able to demo the units. The upgradeability of the Hydra via firmware updates is appealing however there seems to be some issues with usb and unwanted noises. Cees seems to have a stellar reputation as a designer!
Unfortunately I am unable to hook up a streamer to either units as I don’t have a LAN port nearby so the source will be through USB from my laptop/iPad to the DAC and finally to a tube amp for headphone use only. Varied genres of music from hard rock to classical and many things in between.
Apologies, I’m an absolute beginner and novice in this hobby and have very limited funds to work with.
Would appreciate the community’s views/thoughts/criticisms!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back