Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Aug 5, 2019 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,504

Fredoo

Head-Fier

Cees Ruijtenberg (founder of Metrum Acoustics) has announced that registration for his new ‘RoonDAC’ is open, with Sonnet Digital Audio as a company name. The company is only just started, all quite fresh.

Over at the Metrum Pavane topic (High End audio forum) first information about the 'RoonDAC' is shared, better to create an own topic over here (Dedicated source components). Please find some copy/paste below as a introduction, which is all available on Cees Ruijtenbergs Facebook page.

=== Summary RoonDAC===

A new product from a well known brain:
- streamer/endpoint and a DAC in one device
- contains the brand new DAC modules which will be used in the new speaker line up (with 4 ladders per DAC module)
- simple: network input and analog outputs (balanced and single ended)
- to be Roon certified, also supports AirPlay and Volumia
- competes with DAC's in the € 2.000-3.000 range (thanks to the new DAC module).
- first 25 orders will receive a discount

I guess this summary contains the key subjects. On his Facebook page you’ll find the latest and some more information, pictures and board designs. You can best use search in FB: Cees Ruijtenberg.

=== Copy/paste Facebook post Cees Ruijtenberg ===

Dear all

We are ready to inform you about the prices for the Roon dac. It took a while because I am not allowed to make deliveries myself due to contractual obligations but found a well-known manufacturer of mine willing to make those deliveries through them. I will, however, work out and prepare all orders. Based on the design, a prototype will be made first to ensure that everything is functioning properly. Two weeks after this, final production will start. As a whole, an expected delivery time of approximately nine to ten weeks is expected. The product will be released under the new brand name “Sonnet Digital Audio”. The design has already been determined and will get the looks similar to the attached photo.

Orders can be placed by means of registration and assuming a minimum amount of 25 units will be reached. If this amount is not reached, payments will be credited.

The following prices were calculated based on normal margins:
Roon dac including VAT Euro 1330 for deliveries within the EU. Shipments outside the EU Euro 1099 ex VAT

The following prices apply to the first 25 orders:

Roon dac including VAT Euro 935 for deliveries within the EU. Shipments outside the EU Euro 773 ex VAT
In case that more orders are placed than the minimum quantity of 25 pieces the order will be increased while the same discount prices apply.
The following information is important for creating the order:

Name
Address
Postal Code
Country
telephone number (may only be used by courier)

Orders can be placed via email: info@sonnet-audio.com

Payment in advance by IBAN or Paypal

If there are any questions please let me know.

=== First pictures ===

Impression of the enclosure
front impression.jpg

Mother board design
streamer board.jpg

DAC module
sda2.jpg

Disclosure: I have signed up for the RoonDAC (because I think it's a great product). I have no relation with Cees or Sonnet Digital Audio (I've only met Cees once shortly at a hifi event in 2018). I don't receive any discount for the RoonDAC by sharing this.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 1,504
I hope Cees does well with his new company; he is a superb designer.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 1,504
This is one project I would like to support, although it would help if there was a prototype with known performance test results. Still, I trust Cees, even though there is at least one thing I am finding it hard to explain to myself, which is the claim that this unit "competes with DAC's in the € 2.000-3.000 range (thanks to the new DAC module)."

Most Dacs I know in that price range (in my case, the Metrum Onyx and the Schiit Yggdrasil) are stand-alone DACs without streamers. So when comparing the RoonDac with these, it is meant to be an apples to apples comparison, or are we to assume that the comparison only involves the DAC portion of the RoonDAC and the Onyx and Yggdrasil?

Now, since I own a Metrum Ambre streamer and the Onyx, another approach would be to compare this Ambre/Onyx combo to the RoonDAC, but will that be a fair comparison? The Ambre/Onyx combo, taken together, has a lot of connectivity options that the RoonDAC cannot possibly match, owing to the simplicity of the latter's design. It is possible that the performance of the RoonDAC would be sonically superior to the Ambre/Onyx combo, but how can we ascertain that without auditioning a prototype? Again, how does the claim that the RoonDAC ""competes with DAC's in the € 2.000-3.000 range (thanks to the new DAC module)" hold up in such conditions?

These are just a set of preliminary questions that come to mind while thinking of the RoonDAC project. If someone has some thoughts that would help clarify things a bit under the circumstances, they would be really helpful. To repeat what I have already said, I am very sympathetic to this project because of Cees's established record of excellence. I just need more information.

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 1,504
This is one project I would like to support, although it would help if there was a prototype with known performance test results. Still, I trust Cees, even though there is at least one thing I am finding it hard to explain to myself, which is the claim that this unit "competes with DAC's in the € 2.000-3.000 range (thanks to the new DAC module)."

Most Dacs I know in that price range (in my case, the Metrum Onyx and the Schiit Yggdrasil) are stand-alone DACs without streamers. So when comparing the RoonDac with these, it is meant to be an apples to apples comparison, or are we to assume that the comparison only involves the DAC portion of the RoonDAC and the Onyx and Yggdrasil?

Now, since I own a Metrum Ambre streamer and the Onyx, another approach would be to compare this Ambre/Onyx combo to the RoonDAC, but will that be a fair comparison? The Ambre/Onyx combo, taken together, has a lot of connectivity options that the RoonDAC cannot possibly match, owing to the simplicity of the latter's design. It is possible that the performance of the RoonDAC would be sonically superior to the Ambre/Onyx combo, but how can we ascertain that without auditioning a prototype? Again, how does the claim that the RoonDAC ""competes with DAC's in the € 2.000-3.000 range (thanks to the new DAC module)" hold up in such conditions?

These are just a set of preliminary questions that come to mind while thinking of the RoonDAC project. If someone has some thoughts that would help clarify things a bit under the circumstances, they would be really helpful. To repeat what I have already said, I am very sympathetic to this project because of Cees's established record of excellence. I just need more information.

The problem is that if we don't support him then they won't get made. We need to have faith!

And by performance comparisons, he's talking about direct performance of the DAC modules. We all appreciate that there is more to a DAC than the converters; layout and seperation, power supply, analogue section all play a part.

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 1,504
The problem is that if we don't support him then they won't get made. We need to have faith!

And by performance comparisons, he's talking about direct performance of the DAC modules. We all appreciate that there is more to a DAC than the converters; layout and seperation, power supply, analogue section all play a part.

Agreed on all counts, especially regarding the need to have faith. Incidentally, Cees has mine--100%--, which is why I have taken an interest in the project in the first place. i do hope it garners enough support to succeed brilliantly:). Fingers crossed.

Sep 30, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 1,504
From the Roonlabs (Roon Ready Dac) thread - “He has dropped the roon device due to a lack of timely interest and is moving on with a straight up dac that also looks interesting…”

As Cees has posted previously, it’s rare for him to Forum comment – but feedback and enquiry welcome on his Sonnet facebook page (which can be relayed on Headfi) for anyone interested.

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 1,504
The availability and (introduction) prices for the new Sonnet Morpheus DAC are just announced.

Just wow..!! Is this an Adagio level DAC/pre at half the price?
Given the new design with improved DAC modules/FPGA it could even out perform the Adagio and others.

Cees' announcement:
We have calculated the prices for the Sonnet Morpheus dac

Consumer Introduction price is Euro 3250 including 21% for Europe. Outside Europe Euro 2686 This deal is valid when ordered before end of November 2019
December 2019 : Consumer price in Europe including 21% VAT is Euro 3500. Outside Europe Euro 2893.

Shipping date will be around week 4 of November. Ordering via

info@sonnet-audio.com

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 1,504
This is PCM only NOT DSD right?

Oct 22, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 1,504
The availability and (introduction) prices for the new Sonnet Morpheus DAC are just announced.

Just wow..!! Is this an Adagio level DAC/pre at half the price?
Given the new design with improved DAC modules/FPGA it could even out perform the Adagio and others.

Cees' announcement:
We have calculated the prices for the Sonnet Morpheus dac

Consumer Introduction price is Euro 3250 including 21% for Europe. Outside Europe Euro 2686 This deal is valid when ordered before end of November 2019
December 2019 : Consumer price in Europe including 21% VAT is Euro 3500. Outside Europe Euro 2893.

Shipping date will be around week 4 of November. Ordering via

info@sonnet-audio.com

As a fan of Metrum Onyx I’m really excited to see this new product. I hope we get Pavane level of performance and preamp is just an added bonus.

Oct 22, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 1,504
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 1,504
oops I just emailed him asking to preorder the roon dac, I didn't realize it was cancelled. that morpheus dac is out of my budget. oh well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back