Songs to loosen the glue
Dec 3, 2020 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Shabda

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All i thought i’d be fun to pass around recs for very very low and tactile bass tracks that one would use to loosen the glue of the diaphrams for burn in (i think this is real enough, at least in theory). I may be using glue a little loosely here, forgive me :)

Demons by Joanna (so tactile)

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi All i thought i’d be fun to pass around recs for very very low and tactile bass tracks that one would use to loosen the glue of the diaphrams for burn in (i think this is real enough, at least in theory). I may be using glue a little loosely here, forgive me :)

Demons by Joanna (so tactile)
If the glue were to loosen, then
- why would the sound get better?
- why would it stop at the 'optimum level of looseness' and not just continue to loosen/degrade until your cans sound awful?

Dec 4, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 9
Maybe it’s sort of like how your eyes can be a little crusty when you first wake up but after blinking again they stop sticking. Like a dryness i guess (totally spit balling here)
Well, my point is that if that's necessary for headphones to come to optimum performance, product design and/or manufacturing is quite poor and inherently unreliable if you would ask me. I sure hope nothing loosens up in my headphones :) I would say just start using your headphones, as the actual break-in is not happening in, but in-between the cans :L3000:

I know this is a never-ending discussion (and yes I have my own opinion about it), so by all means share music and don't let me derail the thread :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 9
Right right, burn in is just a fun premise to explore deep tactile bass songs. What I really want to get at is what is bass tactility? Examples of what you all think of as tactile are helpful i think.

my conception of tactile is the first bass parts of Demons by Joanna

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 9
Maybe not the biggest and/or deepest bass, but, man, something about when the first bass notes hit on Björk's "Hunter" is just pants-wetting for me. Ugh. I love it. I need it. Shoot it directly into my veins.

(Unfortunately, the bass on the YT video isn't quite as big and deep as on the CD)

There are also some amazingly low notes on Biophilia, but I can't think of which tracks off the top of my head.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Mask Off by Future has a nonstop repetition of various hard hitting low bass notes that sound pretty bad on my dynamic headphones, but superb on a good planar.

Not the most thought provoking song, but I do go back to this one as a bass test every now and then. Not sure about this glue loosening idea, but I do find it interesting to test how various headphones handle different bass ranges. Of course, you could probably just find an an actual repetitive bass test song if you don't care about any kind of musical enjoyment and are just trying to... loosen glue?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 9
I feel like Snarky Puppy’s Michael League has one the fattest yet “natural” electric bass tones, so nice like that bjork song maybe a little. Soro (afriki) by snarky puppy is a good example

also Flight by snarky puppy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back