Songs that really sound great on good headphones, tell me!
Jun 15, 2002 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Kryogen

100+ Head-Fier
I am tryin to get songs that really make good headphones shine.

So far I got : Fat Joe feat Ja Rule & Ashanti - Whats Luv(1).mp3 for the deep bass.

Sheryl Crow - C'mon, C'mon - Soak Up The Sun(1).mp3 : For the bass and the background sounds that really feel alive.

PiNk - DoN't LeT mE GeT mE.mp3 : For all the "highs".

Anyways, just a few. WHich ones do you really like?

Jun 15, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 55
Smash Mouth - Walking on the sun
Offspring - Original Prankster
Beastie Boys - Slow Ride

For Bass:

The part right after the Solo in AC/DC's Sin City just crank it up then you hear an awesome Bass Riff then after that with Bon yelling "FINGER'S FREDDY" man that's a cool part.

Jun 16, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 55
JMT- I am glad to see a fellow Gladiator fan. I might just have to buy one of your amps now that I know you use Gladiator in your design tests
wink.gif

Anyway, I am awaiting my SR80s and Airhead from Headroom. I hope gladiator will sound great on it.

Jun 16, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 55
Pearl Jam - Soon Forgot from Binaural, great soundstage great vocal. I use this to test the upper-frequency distortion from CDs. If you listen you'll hear a clear ringing over his voice after about the first phrase or two.

Dire Straits - Why Worry from Brothers in Arms (remaster, not original), lsiten to the shaker about 5:30 into the song. A good rig will allow you to just about *count* the number of beads that hit the plastic. This is what I use to test if detail is smeared. So far the EAR HP4 wins this test.

Sting - A brand New Day, the first 20 seconds from the opening track to see how the bass responds.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, the whole damned album. It's a noisy recording but the remaster really shines.

Dave Matthews Band - Crash, theres a lot in this recording. A lot of hidden details, great dynamics. Lillywhite did a *great* job on this recording. At the end of one of the tracks one of the band members can be heard saying "That was bad as ****". If your gear isn't up to snuff it will smear that out to wear it's barly noticable unless you are listening for it. Good gear will present it to you on a ****ing platter.

Pearl Jam - Ten, again a lot of detail. Ed Vedder seems to say '****' in just about every track. It's easy to miss unless you have some decept equipment on some tracks. Decent equipment makes it stand out and puts it right in your face. Listen to 'Once' and there is a break where Ed can be heard saying "You thought I had my eyes closed but I was looking at you the whole ****ing time." While you can hear this on lesser gear, a good headphone rig makes it ring clear as a bell.

I have some more CDs I use for testing and a lot I love to listen to.

Jun 16, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Dave Matthews Band - Crash, theres a lot in this recording. A lot of hidden details, great dynamics. Lillywhite did a *great* job on this recording. At the end of one of the tracks one of the band members can be heard saying "That was bad as ****". If your gear isn't up to snuff it will smear that out to wear it's barly noticable unless you are listening for it. Good gear will present it to you on a ****ing platter.

Agree!
biggrin.gif
I have that album and I can hear all the little details too. Actually, DMB's - Under the table and dreaming is a good album too.

Also, if you have The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over cd, listen to track 3. You can actually hear echo from the singer's voice. That's pretty amazing and I don't think too many speakers can reproduce these little details.
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 55
how about some pink floyd..anyone.....

signs of life sounds great....actually...a friend and i just demoed oh about 7 pairs of cans with the first minute or so of this song...no real expertise but....we know which one sounds better
biggrin.gif

ray

Jun 16, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 55
Stereolab's sound dust is a perfect album for headphones, especially the second song: Space Moth. All over the album orchestral sounds mix with synthesizers and regular instruments flying back and forth between each channel, and the soundstage is very wide. Put that on top of good bass lines and very sweet female vocals and you have a album that will blow you away on good headphones. ER-4S's and HD 580s from a headroom supreme make it almost a religious experience. I cannot imagine it on something better --- particularly on some good electrostatics.

Jun 17, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 55
Massive Attack's Mezzanine especially the first track - Angel. Any of Portishead's 3 albums. The Cure - Disintegration. Female vocals really shine with headphones - Sarah MacLachlan (any album), Tori Amos (Boys for Pele), Patricia Barber (Nightclub), Etta James (Love's Been Rough on Me. For classical compositions try Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, Dvorak #9 The New World Symphony, Bach's Concerto for oboe and violin, and Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man.

Regards - reynman

Jun 17, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #15 of 55
Pearl Jam Binaaural: Of a Girl - this is the only track on the album that was actually recorded binaurally, sounds amazing on headphones..

Um, everything off the latest Tool album.

Glass and the Ghost Children by Smashing Pumpkins.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back