Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Feb 2, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #2,686 of 4,534
I have three choices for this and can't figure out which sounds better:

Steve Earle-I Feel Alright-a superb recording by the master. Can't stop tapping my feet when I spin this disc.  The clarity is scary good...

Michael Jackson-Thriller-HD Tracks-176Khz/24 bit.  The clarity of this recording is shocking.  There are so many layers and complexity to these songs that I have never heard before this HD tracks version came out.  I'm not a huge fan, but some of his stuff is really great pop material, espeically when it sounds like this.  Anyone who thinks HD800's don't hit hard on the low end has a surprise coming.

Patricia Barber-Smash-My first real introduction to intimate Jazz.  This CD was just released.  It's just her, her piano and a 3 piece band.  Her voice just soars, and the stand-up bass.  You can hear the scratching and slapping of the strings on the wood fretboard like he is standing right next to you.  I can't get enough of this through my HD800's.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2,688 of 4,534

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,690 of 4,534
The best I've heard is the Mobile Fidelity vinyl albums (I have a near-complete set), but my turntable has no room on my desktop.  Curious about the 24 bit versions...

Most over on SH consider the MoFi set the holy grail for Beatles stuff. I've been considering paying the outrageous prices for the box set recently.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #2,691 of 4,534
Quote:
Steve Earle-I Feel Alright-a superb recording by the master. Can't stop tapping my feet when I spin this disc.  The clarity is scary good...

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,692 of 4,534
Quote:
Most over on SH consider the MoFi set the holy grail for Beatles stuff. I've been considering paying the outrageous prices for the box set recently.

OK, I'm about to sound like my father (or perhaps, yours)---  for the first time.  Ready? 

I bought them at cost 25 years ago, as MoFi stopped production of records in the late 80's.  

In fact, I bought 2 copies of most.  One to open and play, one to leave sealed in its sleeve so that in 2030, I'd have a retirement plan.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2,693 of 4,534
Yeah. Sure wish I'd been alive to do that. :wink:

Still...thinking about dropping a grand on one of those sets makes me cringe.

Quote:

OK, I'm about to sound like my father (or perhaps, yours)---  for the first time.  Ready? 

I bought them at cost 25 years ago, as MoFi stopped production of records in the late 80's.  

In fact, I bought 2 copies of most.  One to open and play, one to leave sealed in its sleeve so that in 2030, I'd have a retirement plan.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2,694 of 4,534
Quote:
Michael Jackson-Thriller-HD Tracks-176Khz/24 bit.  The clarity of this recording is shocking.  There are so many layers and complexity to these songs that I have never heard before this HD tracks version came out.  I'm not a huge fan, but some of his stuff is really great pop material, espeically when it sounds like this.

Mostly agree, I just find the funky synth in the right channel of Thriller (1:30 onwards) really out of place and that kinda ruins it for me. Always find myself concentrating on it, and I had never noticed it before I got my HD650s. Otherwise definitely one of my favorite HP albums.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,695 of 4,534
Searched the thread n couldn't find anyone talking about the album explorations in space and time(found about it on head-fi youtube channel). Its a binaural project so offcourse has great soundstage(on my ie8:wink: but I dont think its great as a whole but a must for a great soundstage experience.
other music i like 
now we are free ==> gladiator ost
end of line        ==> tron ost
on we march    ==> social network ost
time                ==> inception ost
A dark knight   ==> The dark knight ost
why so serious==>  the dark knight ost
check batman begins ost if u don't like too much bass
if u like a single track then for sure check the whole ost of that movie as I usually don't listen to a single track on ost 
still developing my taste in music so these might  not be good enough for some :)

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #2,696 of 4,534
Quote:

Mostly agree, I just find the funky synth in the right channel of Thriller (1:30 onwards) really out of place and that kinda ruins it for me. Always find myself concentrating on it, and I had never noticed it before I got my HD650s. Otherwise definitely one of my favorite HP albums.

Thanks for pointing that out, now I can't stop concentrating on it 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #2,697 of 4,534
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Sorry. Though I do find it difficult to believe you have not noticed it before
bigsmile_face.gif
At least that's how bad it sounds in my ears.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #2,698 of 4,534
Quote:

Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Make that two.... bow-bow-bow-bow bow wow woooooow~  
basshead.gif

Edit: Thought I'd contribute to the thread.

Albums:
This Binary Universe - BT (My favourite and very first album, has a soft spot in my heart but I can't believe it isn't suggested more on Head-Fi.)
The Continents - Chick Corea (Think jazz and orchestral music don't mix? Think again!)
The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd (Time and Money-literally as well as the respective songs-are particularly great at demoing headphones.)

Songs:
Long After You're Gone - Chris Jones (The first song I pick whenever I let someone demo my rig.)
Black Magic Woman - Santana (So warm, so sweet, you feel like you really are under the influence of a black magic woman.)
Hotel California [acoustic version] - Eagles ('nuff said.)
September - Earth, Wind & Fire (Greatest R&B song ever in my opinion.) 

And more.... will add more when I remember!

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2,699 of 4,534
Quote:

Sorry. Though I do find it difficult to believe you have not noticed it before
bigsmile_face.gif
At least that's how bad it sounds in my ears.

Well actually today was the first time I listened to that song with my HE-400s, previously when listening to that song I used the Senn IE80 which isn't too revealing.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,700 of 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolaiw /img/forum/go_quote.gif

September - Earth, Wind & Fire (Greatest R&B song ever in my opinion.) 

And more.... will add more when I remember!

yes!!!!  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back