Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Dec 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #2,491 of 4,536
Quote:
Here's one of the songs I use when testing new out gear ( I use FLAC version but it actually sounds decent on youtube):

Where did you get a hold of the flac version when there seems to be no CD version online available for purchase? I only see mp3s.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2,492 of 4,536
Quote:

Where did you get a hold of the flac version when there seems to be no CD version online available for purchase? I only see mp3s.

You are are right. I made a mistake--this is one of the few non flac albums I own and I forgot. I just e-mailed one of the band members to ask if he could hook me up haha.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2,493 of 4,536
Quote:
You are are right. I made a mistake--this is one of the few non flac albums I own and I forgot. I just e-mailed one of the band members to ask if he could hook me up haha.

Cool! Let me know how that goes, I really like the song and the band fascinates me.

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2,494 of 4,536

That Sub Bass of the D2000s <3.

One of the best Dubstep tracks on my D2000s.
Like everything sounds nice on them.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #2,495 of 4,536
Just recently rediscovered Jean Michel Jarre, in particular, Zoolook. Especially amazing in articulate cans.

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #2,496 of 4,536
rligeti, you absolutely correct! Jean Michel Jarre is the original master of the Ethereal Synth! I have been listening to him since the mid 70's Oxygene, when I had a pair of Koss PRO AAA cans. I love to listen to airy, spacious, ethereal music like Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Michael Hedges, Brian Eno, and the Master, Mike Oldfield (especially QE2)! A stellar pair of Cans is one of the best avenues to experience the Mood & Passional Transitions these great musicians have composed. Just thought of Pink Floyd & Alan Parsons, also, I have a pair of QJ signature AKG-701's that perform due justice to these recordings!
I have recently become a HUGE FAN of NuForce audio cans & amps. Too me, they not just give you bang for the $$$, but I am truly hearing things in the music I have always listened to, I never heard before! NuForces products are just so quick and produce such a flat response and beautifully defined soundstage, they must be reverse-engineering some Alien Audio Standard.
In fact, there first pair of real over the ear Studio Monitor Cans will soon be released & I HAVE been waiting over a year to buy a pair!
I guarantee for the $200 or so price tag, they will sound better than Cans 3-4 times the price! That has been my experience with each and every earphone & Amp I have purchased from then, IMHO! I also l also love Neo-Progressive Rock like Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Pendragon, & anything PT genius leader ,Steven Wilson, has a part in. Right now that would be his personal self-titled endeavors!

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2,497 of 4,536
Kind of like the ambient vibe on this song (720p please): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ki28a4CFk

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #2,499 of 4,536
Just recently rediscovered Jean Michel Jarre, in particular, Zoolook. Especially amazing in articulate cans.

Make me remember my childhood when he was popular in France, i bought one of his cd, one of the first using 5(.1 i guess) channels technology

To answer to the topic a lot of songs of Continuum by John Mayer sounds nice on my L1, especially Gravity and I'm Gonna Find Another You

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBex8zbDRs[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EZWzq6kXVc[/VIDEO]

And it's even better in live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2oppDI_MTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZVEKYXcMXk

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #2,501 of 4,536
Wow, what an awesome thread.  Downloading Dream Theater right now and see what the fuss is about!

I'll offer a few alternatives based on stuff folks posted:

If you love Dire Straits-- Check out the 2nd album you never hear: Communique.  "Once Upon a Time in the West" has an hypnotic bass line.  Also the drums at the end of "News"-- it's like sitting at a sound check on good cans, and it's fresh because you never hear any of its songs on the radio.

Eric Clapton Unplugged gets a lot of praise, deservedly.  But there are two other albums that will blow you mind-- On "Play the Blues Live from Lincoln Center" he pairs with Wynton Marsalis for an evening of jazz standards.  Clapton backed by a big band?  Are you kidding?  Also for more grit-- check out "Me and Mr. Johnson".  An outstanding overdrive recording.

McCartney has released 96k recordings of all of his early solo records- available for download from his web site.  Band on the Run and RAM (the more I hear it, the more I believe it's the answer to "Pet Sounds" he always wanted to make with the Beatles).  

Oh-- for the Beatles-- Of course anything is terrific, and the re-issues sound fine-- Check out the Beatles "Love" for a remix sonic sensation.  I'm not a huge fan of re-mixes in general-- but George Martin oversaw this one, and it's pretty creative.  His son did the actual mixing, as Sir George's hearing has failed in a bitter irony.

Speaking of remixes-- There's an SACD floating around of The Grateful Dead's "American Beauty".  It's a bit of a remix (sonically, not content)-- with an insanely wide soundstage.  Even if you hate the Dead, it's a recording to appreciate.  It's the best sub-bass on a rock recording I've ever heard.  

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #2,502 of 4,536
Dec 9, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #2,503 of 4,536

This whole album sounds fantastic on my K501s. I never really liked the album all that much, but I'm definitely digging it now.

You know a headphone has gone above and beyond it's regular duty when it makes you like music you didn't like before.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back