Soncoz LA-QXD1, new balanced DAC for under 200$
Aug 8, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #31 of 56

same thing; a bit edgy, a bit too much.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #32 of 56
Now, this is a proper real review:

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #33 of 56
I really rather get another kind of DAC really. Either a delta sigma sweeter sounding, or directly a cheap multibit or r2r dac or however is called. One of those horrible measuring and awesome sounding for acoustic instruments.

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #34 of 56

Maybe one of his other components introduced the noise he claims to hear on the QXD1. I'm listening on a JDS Labs Atom Amp with the QXD1 and I can crank the volume up to levels beyond what my ears can bear and hear no noise - nada (...naturally not while playing music). My listening experience reflects the measurements I've seen: this DAC faithfully reproduces the limitations of the source material.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #35 of 56
Maybe one of his other components introduced the noise he claims to hear on the QXD1. I'm listening on a JDS Labs Atom Amp with the QXD1 and I can crank the volume up to levels beyond what my ears can bear and hear no noise - nada (...naturally not while playing music). My listening experience reflects the measurements I've seen: this DAC faithfully reproduces the limitations of the source material.

Yes, all the people who have no clue about audio say the exact same thing you said. The other group of people, those who have tested 10 dacs each minimum, that group of soncoz owners sold their dac... so... white and in a bottle...

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #36 of 56
Yes, all the people who have no clue about audio say the exact same thing you said. The other group of people, those who have tested 10 dacs each minimum, that group of soncoz owners sold their dac... so... white and in a bottle...

Well, with 40 years' experience listening to systems of various degrees of quality, I believe I have more than a clue.

Other people's ears are not my ears. I related my personal listening experience with the DAC (... with 3 sets of headphones: LCD-2, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, and Shure E4c). That is, I merely stated my own opinion, and how it was different to someone else's, and why that might be the case.

Since our auditory processing mechanics are also different (shape of the ear, head internals) and given potentially internalised biases, it is reasonable to also assume that my experience may be different to anyone else's notwithstanding any differences in audio equipment.

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #37 of 56
sorry mate, not my intention to bother you. You are right, each person has a different ears, and different audio feeling. Most people who own X tend to say X sounds amazing, uber good, like a unicorn blood kind of music. Other people saying the soncoz not so neutral as measurements get... just in this same thread you can read it. A re-seller here in my country not very happy with it either, and he sells it. Maybe nowadays, an AKM chip is better, or a multibit solution...

Sep 3, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #38 of 56

Good review. Was considering the D1 when the Schiit Modius came out. Chose to go with the Modius which I am very pleased with. However, the D1 still looks interesting, albeit more complicated to use.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #39 of 56
Let's see; soncoz xlr output seems to be awful, according to this guy, and also soncoz seems to be edgy, according to owners with experience who used it.

Modius great option, but no dsd in 2020,
And still micro usb... I just started using dsd a few weeks back.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #40 of 56
Let's see; soncoz xlr output seems to be awful, according to this guy, and also soncoz seems to be edgy, according to owners with experience who used it.

Modius great option, but no dsd in 2020,
And still micro usb... I just started using dsd a few weeks back.

I just got the Modius and I'm still trying it out with different headphone amp's. I ran it with an Asgard 3
and Loxjie P 20 yesterday and the Modius sounded great with both. I used the balanced inputs on
the P20 with the balanced outputs on the Modius. Surprisingly good with Hifiman HE4XX and Fostex T50RP MK3!

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #41 of 56
I just got the Modius and I'm still trying it out with different headphone amp's. I ran it with an Asgard 3
and Loxjie P 20 yesterday and the Modius sounded great with both. I used the balanced inputs on
the P20 with the balanced outputs on the Modius. Surprisingly good with Hifiman HE4XX and Fostex T50RP MK3!

How do you like those T50RP MK3?? Good compliment to an HD6XX, or should i go for Sundara or an Audeze LCD-2C?

What DAC did you had before? Modius has no DSD anyways, right?

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #42 of 56
How do you like those T50RP MK3?? Good compliment to an HD6XX, or should i go for Sundara or an Audeze LCD-2C?

What DAC did you had before? Modius has no DSD anyways, right?

I had a Modi 2 Uber before the Modius. No DSD on the Modius.

I think the T50RP MK3 are the best planar magnetic available for the money. They do need equalization though, which is why I use a Schiit LOKI Mini with them. The second best IMHO are the Hifiman HE 4XX.

As for a high impedance dynamic headphone, IMO the HD6XX is as good as you get in the $200 price range. It really needs an OTL headphone amp to sound its best though. I use the HD6XX with my Eufonika H4 and Little Dot MK 2. It sounds quite good with both of these OTL headphone amp's.

There are plenty of people who like the Sundara and LCD 2C as well. I've never heard either so I can't comment on their sound.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #43 of 56
I’m using coaxial. You can power the KTB directly from the board too:

https://forum.khadas.com/t/tone-board-external-powering/3051

The Y cable fixed the problem, with one USB charger on one of the Y sides. Will try with a battery later on, not sure sound will improve noticeably, but, I will give it a try for sure.

Meanwhile not much affordable balanced DAC in the market really. All have perks... dac+amp are my candidates now, but both RME and dx7 pro a bit on the expensive side... so more wait. I can wait if the khadas works well now :wink:

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #44 of 56
I tried this DAC with an iPhone charger, and it seemed to be OK. Best mated with a tube amp IMO. Still, pretty good value for $200, if you don't mind the confusing buttons.

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #45 of 56
Seems like to get a decent review it has to cost well over 700$, otherwise it has the "seemed" part, and the "ok" part.
It's a sharp dac, it is not ok. XLR is useless if it doesnt sound nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back