Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Jun 29, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #811 of 1,377
I don't think SW is working properly for me...either it's malfunctioning, I have the settings misconfigured, or this is simply a poor product.

Basically, when enabled, the VST produces a "delay effect"--not latency, but an echo-like delay effect as one might use as a DSP (very short, maybe 50 to 100ms). It doesn't sound distorted or anything, but it's certainly not just EQing.

I have tried adjusting every setting I see available with no luck.

Using Sennheiser HD-800 with JRiver.

Please help!

Hope you get in figured out. Sonarworks saved the 800's for me. Using their set-up from the early pages here (VB Audio and Pedalboard) with iTunes.

Jul 1, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #813 of 1,377
This is meant for audiophiles, whatever that means.

This is from Karlis who works over at Sonarworks: True-Fi is basically systemwide for audiophiles, the aim is to test new audience to understand their views of Sonarworks calibration technology.

50 day full access.

https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi#TF-demo

I think True-Fi is just where they pre-process the music using their plugin for you and deliver that so you don't need to hassle with the plugin and systemwide or a plugin host? It would be the same as having those songs in your library and using systemwide on them?

Jul 1, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #814 of 1,377
I think True-Fi is just where they pre-process the music using their plugin for you and deliver that so you don't need to hassle with the plugin and systemwide or a plugin host? It would be the same as having those songs in your library and using systemwide on them?

i'm confused over exactly what it is, too....

Jul 1, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #815 of 1,377
I had to remove my Sonarworks plugin and systemwide software to have True-Fi running - but that could be me with Windows 10 beta OS. I also had to check the volume on my Geek out dac/amp thing. It seem when I loaded True-Fi, it lower the Geek Out software volume..

So what is True-Fi?

Simple combine version of REFERENCE 3 PLUGIN and REFERENCE 3 SYSTEMWIDE.

There is no Dry/Wet control, Mono Monitoring, and Filter modes

It is a great product for the general public. I miss the dry/wet and I do use the mono thing.

Also, I do not have playback artifacts with True-Fi ..and pops and ticks, from the get go. Just need to play with the volume as in my dac

When I initially install the plugin and systemwide, I always have to play around to get it running smoothly. And than when I receive another OS beta update, something might change. Still worth it for the extra functions...

Jul 1, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #816 of 1,377
no artifacts from systemwide for me... i don't use dry wet or mono and i could do without the filter modes. does this somehow help me or am I just as well off with what i got? i had the impression they were basically delivering pre-adjusted tracks for whatever headphones you have. more like a music store customized to your headphones. i still think that might be a great idea if not. purchase songs from them and you get to download them pre-equalized for whatever headphones you have. this way you could use it in DAPs.

i think a killer feature of their plugins would be to be able to run them in batch mode across a folder of music files and get the converted files out so you can take them on the go. like run it across your entire library and put the results into a folder named for whatever the headphones are.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #817 of 1,377
no artifacts from systemwide for me... i don't use dry wet or mono and i could do without the filter modes. does this somehow help me or am I just as well off with what i got? i had the impression they were basically delivering pre-adjusted tracks for whatever headphones you have. more like a music store customized to your headphones. i still think that might be a great idea if not. purchase songs from them and you get to download them pre-equalized for whatever headphones you have. this way you could use it in DAPs.

i think a killer feature of their plugins would be to be able to run them in batch mode across a folder of music files and get the converted files out so you can take them on the go. like run it across your entire library and put the results into a folder named for whatever the headphones are.

Actually it will not help anyone that has the software. I

It is more of a trial that is easier to install at the get-go. Also, at least, my code for True-Fi is for 50 days which gives one more time to play with. I am currently playing with True-Fi with the DT1990. I just notice that it has the plugin for both pads. I can not remember if it did on REFERENCE 3 PLUGIN. The Dry/wet helps me to dial down the setting for my T1, 2nd version. For me, 70%, is enough.

There is also an Android beta app, Soundigo Music APP Beta
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.soundigo&hl=en

Only played with her in the beginning when she just came out. At that time, it did not play the higher bit flac

Jul 2, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #818 of 1,377
Actually it will not help anyone that has the software. I

It is more of a trial that is easier to install at the get-go. Also, at least, my code for True-Fi is for 50 days which gives one more time to play with. I am currently playing with True-Fi with the DT1990. I just notice that it has the plugin for both pads. I can not remember if it did on REFERENCE 3 PLUGIN. The Dry/wet helps me to dial down the setting for my T1, 2nd version. For me, 70%, is enough.

There is also an Android beta app, Soundigo Music APP Beta
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.soundigo&hl=en

Only played with her in the beginning when she just came out. At that time, it did not play the higher bit flac

were you using the calibration average for T1 or a custom calibration? Guessing a custom one you wouldn't need to dial it back wet/dry at all

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #820 of 1,377
Using the average calibration at 70% for the T1, 2nd version. At 100%, I was missing the upper spark.

Yeah I do like a little of the T1 sparkle sometimes. I can see why you would pull it back a bit. Should be getting my T1 back soon and will see how it sounds with custom calibration.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #821 of 1,377
sounds like duplicate processing of the effect chain or some sort of dry mix issue. I am using JRiver and VST plugin with no issue whatsoever. Mac? Are you also running systemwide or some other effect host? screenshot of your DSP effects window and it's settings in JRiver would help.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm using kind Wiondows 7 64-bit with JRiver's built-in VST host. JRiver's set to upmix my stereo FLAC's to 7.1, resample to 48Hz, then playback to Out of Your Head, a nice piece of surround sound virtualization software that other users have reported using with SW without issue. Here are screens of my settings:
SW1.png
SW2.png
SW4.png
SW3.png

I went ahead and tried out TB Morphit, a similar VST to SW (at least in what it aims to do), and it sounds great. Whatever problem SW is having, Morphit certainly doesn't share the issue. Still, I'd like to get SW working as it does seem much more powerful and I imagine could yield even better results.

Much appreciation for any insights.

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #822 of 1,377
Thanks for the reply!

I'm using kind Wiondows 7 64-bit with JRiver's built-in VST host. JRiver's set to upmix my stereo FLAC's to 7.1, resample to 48Hz, then playback to Out of Your Head, a nice piece of surround sound virtualization software that other users have reported using with SW without issue. Here are screens of my settings:
snip

I went ahead and tried out TB Morphit, a similar VST to SW (at least in what it aims to do), and it sounds great. Whatever problem SW is having, Morphit certainly doesn't share the issue. Still, I'd like to get SW working as it does seem much more powerful and I imagine could yield even better results.

Much appreciation for any insights.
I noticed that your wet/dry mix is set to not add any EQ.
Could that be the problem?

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #823 of 1,377
it looks like you got way too much going on there to isolate the issue. so you are simulating some 6 channel surround system but playing into headphones? i see your dry/wet setting is 0% all dry so sonarworks shouldn't be contributing anything to the sound. If disabling the sonarworks plugin fixes the issue leaving all else the same then i would say it is a bug in how sonarworks handles more then 2 channel audio. personally i have no experience with such complex multi-channel setups but as an engineer i would say the key to problem solving is to one component at a time isolate the issue. how about you try just a simple normal stereo signal with non of that other processing and just using sonarworks first. then advance by adding one new plugin at a time.

based on what you have provided though i would expect sonarworks to have an immediate answer.

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #824 of 1,377
it looks like you got way too much going on there to isolate the issue. so you are simulating some 6 channel surround system but playing into headphones? i see your dry/wet setting is 0% all dry so sonarworks shouldn't be contributing anything to the sound. If disabling the sonarworks plugin fixes the issue leaving all else the same then i would say it is a bug in how sonarworks handles more then 2 channel audio. personally i have no experience with such complex multi-channel setups but as an engineer i would say the key to problem solving is to one component at a time isolate the issue. how about you try just a simple normal stereo signal with non of that other processing and just using sonarworks first. then advance by adding one new plugin at a time.

based on what you have provided though i would expect sonarworks to have an immediate answer.
I put the it to entirely dry for troubleshooting reasons--definitely should've noted that I had, as it's all the more confusing that the delay occurs when there should be no effect.

I'll try seeing if it occurs with a stereo signal when I'm home. Thanks!

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #825 of 1,377
This is meant for audiophiles, whatever that means.

This is from Karlis who works over at Sonarworks: True-Fi is basically systemwide for audiophiles, the aim is to test new audience to understand their views of Sonarworks calibration technology.

50 day full access.

https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi#TF-demo

So I've been trying this on my m40x...impressions so far:

The flat (profile A) is terrible --- I was listening to Gorillaz and SO MUCH detail was just sucked out. The music sounds pretty dead and lifeless. I guess that's OK, if its primary purpose is to be used for mixing.
The B profile is much nicer, with some weight thrown into the vocals. The vocals are much richer, thicker, and weightier. However, still not as much detail as I'd like, but the detail is MUCH better than on A. Nice bass bump.
C Profile is way too trebly, thin, and ear piercing.

Overall....um, probably not worth the price they're asking. I'll probably just not use it.They also have limited options (no V-Moda, etc.). I will try it on my Koss Portapro and my Sennheiser 600 this weekend and maybe play around with some additional EQ tweaking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back